What's new

What WB Shows on WB Archives? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER

Hate to stink on a parade...but.
Season sets of old shows on DVDR, no thanks!
Cause even if they did do this, a season would probably cost $200.
The movies they have are already over priced. They cost more than most of the Blu-rays i buy.
Not to mention the fact that DVDR's are not forever (if anything can be)
I know this DVDR program is a niche, and the price reflects that, so i would imagine TV shows would be more of the same.
I would rather see a company like SHOUT! release them, on real DVDs.

My 2 cents for what it worth.
Point by point:

No thanks to old shows on DVDR? Okay, but you won't get them otherwise. There are quite a few Warner shows that are not available in any format nor have they ever been. Shows like Conflict and The Alaskans haven't aired anywhere on earth in 50 years and are not available on 16mm film (save for a few Alaskans). Not like there are other options available to see these shows.

Cost? All relative. Prior to DVD, people would have jumped at the chance to get a complete season of a rare show for only $200.

DVDRs aren't forever? Neither are people. Chances are they will outlive you.

Shout Factory? Warner doesn't license their shows so that's not a valid option. Considering the fact that almost every vintage Shout release has had major problems, I wouldn't look to them as the shining example of a company. Father Knows Best, Rhoda, Mister Ed and Room 222 have all had issues. Personally I'd rather take my chances with Warner DVDRs than with Shout "we take whatever elements we're given without checking them" Factory.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. would be perfect as it was a one-season series, and its 'brother' series is already out on DVD. Another show that should be releasedthrough the Archive is the 1965-66 sitcom Hank starring Dick Kallman- it was among the first WB shows to be filmed in color, and it was unique in that the show's storyline was wrapped up in its last episode.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Another two year series that might be consider is "Just the Ten of Us." It was a spin off of that show with Kirk Cameron in the 80's. I have forgotten who the stars were, but one of the daughters went on to play a vixen in the Savannah series. It has a pretty high ranking on www.tvshowsondvd.com, I believe in the 70's--90's most requested unreleased series, so that's another show that WB might consider.

James

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Point by point:

No thanks to old shows on DVDR? Okay, but you won't get them otherwise. There are quite a few Warner shows that are not available in any format nor have they ever been. Shows like Conflict and The Alaskans haven't aired anywhere on earth in 50 years and are not available on 16mm film (save for a few Alaskans). Not like there are other options available to see these shows.

Cost? All relative. Prior to DVD, people would have jumped at the chance to get a complete season of a rare show for only $200.

DVDRs aren't forever? Neither are people. Chances are they will outlive you.

Shout Factory? Warner doesn't license their shows so that's not a valid option. Considering the fact that almost every vintage Shout release has had major problems, I wouldn't look to them as the shining example of a company. Father Knows Best, Rhoda, Mister Ed and Room 222 have all had issues. Personally I'd rather take my chances with Warner DVDRs than with Shout "we take whatever elements we're given without checking them" Factory.
Cost is relative, $200 to you might be like $20 or $2000 to others. But heck, people whine when they cant buy everything in the $5 bin. But to me, 20 bucks would be to much for any DVDR. Yep, id rather not own it. If it isnt that important to them, it sure as hell isnt to me. I have other things i can spend my money on...and do. If its your cup of tea, im not telling you what you should buy. I am just saying what i would/will do. Dare say i am not alone. If an enthusiast/ collector isnt in, will Joe Six Pack be? Doubt it.

Yep, people dont live forever, but i sure hope i live longer than a DVDR, cause the one or two i have had were crap. Video tape will last longer. Id download before i burn a disc!

And i know Warner doesnt license stuff out. To bad for them, not me. But SHOUT has done a few fine things i own. Adam-12 and Mystery Science Theater 3000 are fine, and come from SHOUT.

DVDR = not really letting you own the product, in my eyes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER

Yep, people dont live forever, but i sure hope i live longer than a DVDR, cause the one or two i have had were crap. Video tape will last longer. Id download before i burn a disc!
I've burned well over 10,000 of them and not had more than a couple of problems. I'll take those odds.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

I think that Warner will try to keep the cost of TV shows in the Arcive reasonable. Otherwise, no one will buy them. Plus Warner has never sub-licensed any of their catalog that I know of.
They do abroad though, so at least there's hope in other regions.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by JamesSmith /forum/thread/295064/what-wb-shows-on-wb-archives#post_3631059

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I too would welcome more of The Courtship of Eddie' Father Daktari seasons 2,34 Cowboy in Africa and above all Search starring Hugh O'Brian and Burgess Meredith.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
"KNOTS LANDING"......PLEASE.....WB has only release 2 seasons of this show....it's been 3 years since they released season 2!!! If Warner Brothers doesn't want to produce retail season sets of my favorite show (WB claims due to poor sales) at least they can do is start them on their WB Archives program. I rather have them on a MOD DVD-R then nothing at all!!! I don't get why so many shows (especially reality shows) get a DVD release before the classic shows!!!! A couple of other WB shows: how about the classic T.V. show "Alice" starring Linda Lavin? This show is available as a download from Amazon, but can't be burn to DVD, only watchable on your computer!?!?! Sorry, I would prefer the DVD or a MOD DVD-R!!!! Why is this show not on the WB Archive program!?!?! And lastly, the '90's t.v. sitcom, "The Drew Carey Show"? WB release a "Favorites" a few years back and the 1st season set after that....and that was about 4 years ago. Now, I know there is an issue with music rights with this show.....but how about more "Best of Collections" where there is no music in certain episodes to worry about. This was a sitcom after all.....not a variety show (Although I did enjoy the dance numbers in Drew's show). Warner Brothers needs to stop holding their shows hostage....there are alot of fans for these shows.....maybe sales are not the best compared to a show like "Dallas".....but at least they could take the conservative approach and put them out on the MOD (made to order) archive program. This way they won't lose money on mass production of DVD sets that don't sell on a retail level. And compromise, on the shows with music issues. Give us something from other seasons of the shows!?!?! (I prefer the season sets, but I'm willing to compromise on a "Best Of Collection"). Wake up WB!!!

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I agree with you, especially about "Alice" and "Knots". They should release some best-of discs of "It's a Living" and "Mama's Family" that don't have songs needing licensing, as well as "Murphy Brown" and just replace whatever Motown song they used during the opening moments.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hank Many Happy Returns Adam's Rib The Little People The Alaskans The Islanders Assignment Vienna Banyon Doc Elliot Apple's Way Chicago Teddy Bears A Man Called Shenendoah Temple Houston The Dakotas Mr. Novak Sam Benedict

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
There's only one series that remains on my "whatever price it takes" list, and it's a WB show. That one is Harry O, with David Janssen in one of his best roles. There was a good deal of talk about this one as an Archive release, but all that ever came out was the second pilot ("Smile Jenny, You're Dead"). None of the Archive TV series released so far do a thing for me, and I haven't seen a movie release in a long time that I've bought. I'm glad that other folks are seeing their DVD dreams realized, but I'm staying away from any other WB Archive releases until Harry shows up.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The only thing the WB has in their control right now that would be an absolute must have on release day would be Dr. Kildare Season One, and even that would be in large part due to the fantastic Christmas episode in that season. That's the only show I'd just have to get immediately upon release. There are a few others I'd be interested in, but I'd never pay the current going rate for WBA TV sets right now. If I found some incredible sales/bargains, I'd be interested in the following:

The Dakotas (a very underrated Western, imho)

Harry O

77 Sunset Strip (one season would be plenty, I think)

Mr. Novak

The Islanders (I've never seen it, but it sounds interesting)

The Eleventh Hour (just a sampling to see how it hits me)

The Travels of Jamie McPheeters

That's all I can think of that would hold even a mild interest for me.

Gary "still despising the price structure that WBA has set up for their vintage TV series" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Hawaiian Eye Bourbon St. Beat 77 Sunset Strip Sugarfoot The Alaskans Surfside 6 Bronco Colt .45 Dr. Kildare The Dakotas (The best WB western ever) Cain's Hundred The Thin Man The Lieutenant Mr. Novak The Roaring 20's

S

silverking

Good list Richard, I think we might see Kildare & maybe Sunset Strip at some stage but I have severe doubts about any of the others. I would particularly like to see 'Roaring 20's' & 'The Alaskans' as so few decent copies seem to be around. (Plus I rather liked Dorothy Provine ! )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks