What was the first movie to gross $100 million?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MaxwellSmart, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MaxwellSmart

MaxwellSmart Auditioning

I've always thought JAWS (1975) was the first to top $100 million (and the documentary on the JAWS DVD even says so), but I recently read an interesting and fascinating article (link: http://cinematreasures.org/news/23149_0_1_0_M/ ) in which the author claimed the first to do so was THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965). Anyone know for sure or have any thoughts on the article?

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I don't know, but it's only a matter of time until this thread turns into an argument about how avatar is not successful because gone with the wind sold more tickets.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Looking at Box Office Mojo's all time list (which is probably exactly what the author of that article did), I believe he's correct.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm?page=1&p=.htm

The only problem with that list is that you have to look at the individual breakdowns for each movie to see how much it made on its original release and how much it made on re-releases. For example, all the Disney movies on the list that made $100 million did it in multiple theatrical releases over multiple decades so that's not quite as impressive as a movie making $100 million at one time.

4. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Didn't Ishtar make 100 million opening weekend?

5. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Didn't Ishtar make 100 million the first weekend?

6. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Sound of Music is kind of unique; because it went the running-show route, and was shown in a single run that lasted almost 5 years after release (it didn't leave the theater from opening screen to sometime in 1970) it's hard to figure it's run. Now, part of this is because Sound of Music was a 70mm print, and Fox/Disney were careful as to where to screen it making sure it could be presented as planned. This lowered the number of viable theaters in an era where there were already considerably less then there are today.

Sound of Music is one of those films that perpetually is in theaters, still today and is now presented in a "Sing A Long" form, where words are presented and the audiences are encouraged to sing. It's a fun event. I took the kids two years ago. We had a blast.

7. MaxwellSmart

MaxwellSmart Auditioning

Originally Posted by Luisito34

8. MaxwellSmart

MaxwellSmart Auditioning

Originally Posted by Luisito34

9. Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino Second Unit

The first movie who grosses 100 million was "Jaws" and then in 1977 it continues with "Star Wars und Smokey and the Bandit"!