What's new

What Warner DVD sets would YOU like to see? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Well, it'd be nice to get an official version of "The Man With The Golden Arm".

Also, do you think Warner might be able to buy Preminger's "Skidoo" from Paramount? I want to see how bad that movie really is.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just joking about "Skidoo". Now back to Warner Brothers...

sebina

Auditioning
I would really like a Robert Taylor Box set...

On the box I would like:
Waterloo Bridge
Johnny Eager
Westward the woman
Que Vadis
Valley of the Kings
Bataan

Danny Burk

Second Unit
"Great Silents" (The Wind, Scarlet Letter, Greed, Show People, Don Juan, lots more)
"Garbo II"
"30s epics" (Good Earth, Marie Antoinette, etc.)
"Powell & Loy"
"Pre-code" (I know one is coming, but there are LOTS of great titles for multiple sets!)
"Marion Davies comedies"
"Lucille Ball"
"Lon Chaney II"

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
BETTE DAVIS II and III

including:

- JEZEBEL SE (including the Turner documentary "All About Bette" hosted by Jodie Foster)
- THE OLD MAID
- OLD ACQUAINTANCE (hopefully with a Vincent Sherman commentary)
- ALL THIS AND HEAVEN, TOO
- THE GREAT LIE
- IN THIS OUR LIFE

- THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.
- THE CORN IS GREEN
- A STOLEN LIFE
- THE SISTERS
- JUAREZ

VINCENTE MINNELLI MELODRAMAS

- TEA AND SYMPATHY
- HOME FROM THE HILL
- THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE
- LUST FOR LIFE
- SOME CAME RUNNING
- THE COBWEB

I would love to see more Olivia de Havilland (with or without Flynn, including THE MALE ANIMAL, ANTHONY ADVERSE and THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE) but I guess it would be very hard to market them on themselves, but they could easily fit other stars/themed boxes.

Also more Barbara Stanwyck (THE OTHER LOVE, THE TWO MRS CARROLS).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Damned right, and me too....

Only WB has access to the original elements.

This upcoming "50th anniversary DVD" from a PD company, boasts that it's "mastered from a 35mm print". Geez!

WB has access to the original negs & mags. Let's hope they do it.

Were it not for the market saturation of PD knockoffs, studios would be more willing to release their better films that have suffered from copyright problems, but the $1 DVD pirates have ruined most of those opportunities for us. I cheer Sony/Columbia (I can't believe I just typed that given how much they f*ck things up all the time) for releasing HIS GIRL FRIDAY so we could see it look & sound great.

Hopefully WB will do similar with GOLDEN ARM, which Otto's people neglected to renew.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It has been a while since Warners announced a new box set, I believe the last to be announced were the King Kong and the Christmas collections. Does anyone have any idea about what is coming up beyond those titles?

In other words is there any announcement or rumor about either the long-awaited Busby Berkley, Esther Williams and/or Pre-Code box sets?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
probably 2006 2006 2006.
Taking last year as a model, they release high profile titles everyone wants to buy like Wizard of Oz and Ben Hur instead of diluting the market with more box sets. IIRC there were no box sets between Looney Tunes 2 and the Warner Gangster set. Jan-Sept seems to be premium box set time while Oct-Dec seems to be premium individual title time.

I bet we'll get an announcement before November of Gangsters vol. 2 for January and next would probably be Pre-code, Harlow , or Gable sets.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the Robert Taylor set...at the very least would love to see Westward the Women. A couple scenes I was very surprised about, wasn't expecting...underated film

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought I'd revive this thread because (a) there are some terrific suggestions herein and (a) you never know who might be snooping around for ideas... :D

Phil JC

Auditioning
Although already mentioned both Cagney and Robinson as genuine Warner Bros legends deserve box sets, both have extensive filmographies that Warners has only just scratched the surface of.

Alan-A

Grip
I'm probably asking for the moon but I'd love to see some of the rarer titles, perhaps gathered into a collection of FORGOTTEN FILMS. Some of the titles I'd love to see

Silents:
EXIT SMILING w/ Beatrice Lillie
MEMORY LANE w/ William Haines
THE PATSY and SHOW PEOPLE w/ Marion Davies
Sound:
DeMille's MADAM SATAN &
sound version of THE SQUAW MAN
RIO RITA W/ Bebe Daniels and Wheeler and Woolsey
and bunches of Vitaphone shorts

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
LUCILLE BALL!

WHV has a wealth of output from both the RKO and MGM catalogue.

The Affairs of Annabel
Five Came Back
The Big Street
Dance Girl Dance
Too Many Girls
etc., etc,

Best Foot Forward
Easy to Wed
DuBarry Was a Lady
The Long, Long Trailer
Forever, Darling
etc., etc.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see more comedies..but not by any one specific actor or actress. With the studios concentrating so much on the darker Noir titles I'm afraid that many comedies or romantic comedies of the 30's and 40's will never make it out.
So along with the Noir line I would like to see a boxed comedy line with assorted titles that have never been released before.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
More could be said for MORE Bette Davis!!! The two sets mentioned by Miguel M Santos sounds nice.

HaigH

Agent
Ronald Reagan Signature Collection with a 2-disc SE of King's Row and a couple of his other films.

A Bubsy Berkeley Collection with Footlight Parade, Gold Diggers of 1933, Gold Diggers of 1935 and a 2-disc SE of 42nd Street

An Al Jolson set is long overdue with a 2-disc SE of the great Jazz Singer and it also should contain the Singing Kid and a couple of his other films.
Methinks this could be released sometime in 2007 to coincide with the 80th anniversary of the Jazz Singer. Although a 2006 release would nicely coincide with Jolson's 120th anniversary.

And of course, as previously mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing more Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Cagney and all the other great stars.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The days of LD brought out a terrific Jolson collection of his 8 WB films beginning with THE JAZZ SINGER and ending with THE SINGING KID. Despite the hefty price, I understand that it was a big seller.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Guys, we're getting repetitive here! Proposed sets for Ball and Reagan have been mentioned much earlier in this thread. Be sure to read all of the preceding pages before putting down your suggestions- someone may have already come up with it! If that's the case, think of other stars/films/themes that haven't been covered yet. Remember, this covers all Warners titles, all of RKO and MGM from 1924-86 (the Turner holdings). Come on, be creative!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks