What's new

What type of paint to use on cabinet? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Hello:

Decided I wanted to simply paint my cabinet for my sub. What type of paint should I use? Someone told me to use that black truck bed paint, but forgot to ask him if I roll it on or spray the paint on.

Kind cold here in Michigan to spray it on (can't spray inside the house, but could roll it on).

Thanks for any help.

Steve

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I used spray on and it turned out nice but it frickin stinks. I would think that the roll on would be better, especially considering the weather.

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I've since figured out how to use the search feature here, which obviously helps. ;)

Steve

Jason Fulton

Agent
I would personally recomend the vinyl from parts express. It is extremely simple to apply, and looks damn good if you put a bit of time into it. It took me about 25 minutes to apply completely, and is very cheap.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
What type of finish are you going for? If you want a durable textured finish, look at DURATEX. http://www.acrytech.com/ It's an acrylic urethane that is about as durable as you can get without going to a high cost LineX. It actually goes on very nicely with a roller and gives a very even texture. Spraying with a pressure pot looks a little nicer, but this is still very good. IT's about the consistency of Vasoline.

John

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Whooo hooooo!!!!!!!! I never thought about covering it in vinyl!! I think we have a winner!!! I'll be calling Parts Express tomorrow!! Thanks a lot!!

Steve ;)

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
I know you probably have your mind made up on the finish, but here is a different finish you may want to consider.Link Just a thought. Shawn

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Shawn. I decided to go with something easy (hopefully) with the vinyl. Wanted the textured black, but they were out so got the cherry veneer coming. Thanks a lot for the link!!

steve

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like you're already set on the vinyl.. but just as an FYI on the truckbed liner:

I used it on a cheap-o sub project with good results. It hides small imperfections, dries fast, and yes it stinks. It smells like spray paint.. so use in a well ventlated area. It would work best over a layer of flat, black paint. It took me a while to get it to spread evenly (I was never very good at spray-on finishes). Once dry, I found it helped to rub the finish a little with a soft cloth to sort of knock-off the more loose texture bumps and to even out the finish. It took me a little over a can to cover a 1.5 cuft box. I can't imagine doing a whole truck bed with this stuff... it'd take 30 cans to make it look nice.

Please post pics of your end results!

Ed Kerns

Agent
Steve, Looks like lots of good options for cabinet finish. I have used the truck bed liner on various projects with some success, however another idea is to actually take the cabinet to a dealer (IMHO Line-X is the best) and have them spray it for you. They can typically do it it at the same time while spraying a truck, so there is not much extra material required and you should be able to negotiate a good deal. The job really looks professional, though you have to be careful to mask off anywhere you don't want painted. One other tip; I've found the DIY spray-on bed liner can rub off, leaving smudges on things like the wife's new carpeting, so now I always top coat it with enamel paint(also lets you adjust the luster & color if you wish). Best of luck with your veneering. Wood working is my #1 hobby and applying real veneer can be a little tricky. ed

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the spray on help, men. I'll definately keep it in mind in case my veneering job goes south and I end up tearing it back off the cabinet. :)

I'll be posting pics and keeping you updated. Thanks again.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks