What's new

What to do with used antifreeze (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It seems my county has a horrible system of recycling or collecting used antifreeze. Apparently they have 1 day to collect hazardous material and guess what. I just missed it by 6 days. I've had a gallon and a half of old antifreeze sitting in my yard since like June and now I either wait til next october or dispose of it in some fashion. I tried an R&S Strauss who will take used motor oil but nope, they don't take antifreeze. I know garages have to do something with their antifreeze and stuff but nobody that I know will take antifreeze... What to do? is there some safe way of disposing this stuff? Anyway want some old antifreeze? :)

Jay

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think my local dump has a facility for taking used oil and antifreeze. Yours may only collect once every 12 months, but they may have a drop off facility.

It sounds like you've checked with the local garages... that was going to be my next guess.

If you're going to keep it... keep it sealed up. Dogs like to drink it (it contains honey, believe it or not) and... well, it's not good for dogs.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
go to your local part store like Autozone or Checkers, they normally take used oil and antifreeze.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It depends upon the local sewage treatment plant and local ordinances. In many places, you can dispose of used antifreeze simply by pouring it down the sanitary sewer, e.g. down the toilet. The compounds in the antifreeze break down in these treatment plants. And no there isn't any honey in antifreeze, but ethelene glycol does taste sweet to animals.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
You can use it to fertilize your lawn, its not as good as some other stuff but it still works pretty well.

I hear used motor oil works much better for this purpose.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I thought it was pretty much OK to dump antifreeze down the drain. Oil is a different story.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hmmmm, there is an autozone about 17 miles from me. I don't think we have a Checkers up around me though... I'll have to call Autozone... Does Pep Boys take antifreeze? going to check their website...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I just called the nearest Autozone and the lady says they don't take antifreeze... Going to try Pep Boys...

Jay

David-S

Second Unit
You could look around for a specialty radiator shop as well...

None of the autoparts stores would take my anti-freeze, but there was a rad. shop that did (although they won't take the container from you)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Normally, your local landfill has a household hazardous waste collection facility.
Barring that, dumping it in a drain leading to a sewage treatment facility (NO STORM DRAINS!) does work in a pinch.

Todd

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
What is all this negative talk about freeze? Why so anti-freeze? :D

According to this web site, used antifreeze can sometimes be considered Harardous waste:
First, antifreeze would be considered hazardous waste if it is mixed with a hazardous waste (such as gasoline). Second, antifreeze could be hazardous if it comes from an older vehicle where the antifreeze has been sitting for years and has picked up enough metals (primarily lead) to be characteristically hazardous for metals content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks