What's new

What to do when Google Reader shuts down? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What are you doing when Google Reader shuts down this summer?

I've been using Google Reader on the desktop, and MobileRSS Pro on the iPhone / iPad, avidly for the past year. I follow about 10 websites and read them nightly. The tech blogs all covered the coming doom, but I've not seen any news on possible replacments or alternates. I don't know what to do when RSS dies (the practical import of this, it seems)?

Is it back to manually checking websites for updates? Is there an alternate approach? Will I have to pay for this in the future?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've already switched to Feedly, as have many others as they experienced a significant spike in users after the initial announcement about Google Reader going away.

I like it a lot and don't know why I didn't switch sooner. It has a variety of article layout options, which makes it easier on the eyes when there's a lot of material to get through.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tech-tips-10-minutes-or-less/2013/apr/24/feedly-set-your-new-google-reader/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/01/now-with-3-million-new-users-google-readers-heir-apparent-feedly-relaunches-on-ios-android-reveals-how-it-plans-to-make-money/

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I admit I'm a twitter novice, but isn't that make for a lot of fluff to sift through? Is there a way to organize who you follow into groups?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Feedly for my Android device.

Newsbar for my Mac desktop

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cameron Yee said:
I admit I'm a twitter novice, but isn't that make for a lot of fluff to sift through? Is there a way to organize who you follow into groups?
There's rarely someone I care enough who still blogs regularly that I'm not following at a minimum or conversing with more likely on Twitter.

I never 'got' News Readers. I have a set of aggregators I follow that show me the stuff I care about from people who don't do it every day and a list of bloggers in a single folder I go to every time I get a chance to surf...

I'd be interested in seeing who you guys gotta follow via a news reader that you can't live without...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's my RSS list. It's easier to use that checking each website individually to look for new posts. Twitter: I know DF has a dedicated feed positing only website updates. I don't know if the others do. However, that mean I have to use twitter and only use it as an RSS reader, so random posts from friends and other don't clog up my read-feed.I will look at Feedly. Does it have iOS apps? Is their a fee?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Installed Feedly. It too is merely a Google Reader interface. But it promises to pick up as the back-end when Reader shuts down. Hopefully they will. No apparent indication on price.Any other systems coming online?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you intended to link to your RSS list you missed it.

For twitter feeds you absolutely require to not miss a post from, create a list. That cuts down on the noise to manageable levels.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll try again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well that seems pretty Apple focused. I'd suggest Asymco for a deep dive on the stock, Louis Gassee for a historical perspective, Apple Outsider for an ex apple perspective. You'd probably really enjoy Kottke from what I know of you and since you like Marco.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I used to read Asymco, but it was too much to keep up with. I read Gasse when DF links to him :) Will check out Outsider and Kottke, at least for a month until Reader shuts down...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fever is definitely not for me. But Feedly, Feedbin, and Betaworks look promising. Guess I need to keep waiting, while companies scramble to come up new new products.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow, and to think I thought I was a geek/nerd. 17 years in the IT profession, guess I'm a little burned out. You guys are way beyond my knowledge base.

My laptop and cheapie prepaid cell phone are fine for my lifestyle.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's almost time, right? This is going to be bigger than Y2K, with the sound of a millions of nerds screaming over lost RSS. I'll have a lot more free time if I lose my RSS. Be like Neo experiencing the real world after getting unplugged.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One rather essential piece missing is the ability to search within your collection of feeds. Admittedly, this hasn't come up very often, but it's been a definite need when it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks