What's new

What to connect speakers to? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Those are typical binding posts. Each speaker's wire consists of two conductors - one for the red post and one for the black post for each channel. You need to make sure that the wire that connects to the red post on the receiver connects to the red post/clamp on the speaker and the same goes for the black post. If the speaker wire is thin enough, then the two conductors may be colored red and black. That makes it easy. If you're using thicker speaker wire (14 gauge is recommended) then you have to look closely at the insulation around each conductor. Only one side will have any writing on it, or possibly a red stripe running along the length. Use this to keep straight which wire goes into which color (it doesn't matter which you choose for red or black, as long as you're consistent).

Simply separate the two conductors over the last couple inches of speaker wire, then strip the last 1/2" of insulation off of each wire. Lightly twist the bare wire together to keep it from fraying out.

Unsrew each binding post all the way. Doing so will reveal a small hole that you can thread each end of bare wire into from the side of each post. Once you have them threaded in, simply screw the binding post back down and it should secure the speaker wire in place.

There are other types of connectors that you can put on the speaker wire that simplify the process (spades, pins, banana plugs) but they only make connection easier, they don't do anything to improve the sound.

swob111

Grip
Real Name
Zach
In reading the manual to the receiver which is found here: http://www.usa.denon.com/avr2802_ownersmanual.pdf I cant figure out where to put the speaker wires because there are too many ports, and system a and system b things. I have 5 speakers and a sub woofer. I also have gotten another center speaker, but I don't think it is needed. I was wondering though, if center speakers are interchangable, because the speaker I got is an infinity modulus center speaker. So, could you please look at the manual, and tell me where to hook up my speakers, thanks.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Use Front A (L/R), Center, surround. Ignore the Front B, "surround back". Sub attaches to the sub "pre-out", you'll need RCA->3.5mm adapter cable.

swob111

Grip
Real Name
Zach
What connectors, video cables, and speaker wire do you recommend? I am going to be going through the walls.

Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For speaker cable, use an in-wall rated 14 gauge speaker wire - monoprice.com has 100' spools for less than $25 ( 14AWG Loud Speaker Cable)

For a nice, clean install, you can get wallplates with binding post connectors at Lowes or Home Depot. They usually have complete 5.1 wallplates that fit into a standard double-gang wallbox. Monoprice has one, too (2-Gang 5.1 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate. As a finishing touch, I like to install banana plugs (1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs) on my speaker wire "patch" cables that run from the receiver to the wallplates, and/or from the wallplates to the speakers.

Video's a bit trickier - your receiver doesn't have HDMI, so you'll need to run component video (3 separate coaxial cables for the video signal) - and that involves quite a bit. For running video through the wall, you'll want a quality RG-6 video cable that will support full HD-resolution (don't go with the thinner, RG-59 cable). Again, there are wallplates available for a nice, finished appearance (3 RCA component Decora Style Wall Plate)

What makes component video cable runs complicated is that you need to terminate the ends of the coaxial cable with RCA connectors, and that requires additional parts and tools. I'm not sure if that's something you're willing to tackle...

swob111

Grip
Real Name
Zach
This may sound like a stupid question, but does component video also carry audio? Or do I have to run 5 cables? Thanks.

And when you said that I needed to run three separate wires, could I run something like this? It is wrapped so it is only one cable, thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Component cables only carry a video signal, no audio, and yes, you can use a bundled cable like that, provided you're able to fish it through the walls.

I don't know that you'll need to run any audio through the walls unless your video sources (DVD/Blu, Cable Box, etc.) are located far away from the receiver. Remember - you'll run video AND audio cables from each source to the receiver (digital audio from DVD/Cable box is carried via a single coaxial/RCA cable, not two), but only a video cable from the receiver to the projector.

swob111

Grip
Real Name
Zach
One final question, I know that they make speaker wires that are rated to go through walls, but do they make video cables that specifically say that, or are they all able to go through walls, thanks.

swob111

Grip
Real Name
Zach
So I would have to run 5 lines to the projector. The 3 component video cords, a yellow for composite video, and a VGA cord?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm not sure if your receiver up-converts composite video to component or not. If it does, then you won't need the composite video cable to the projector - you'll simply switch sources on the reciever and keep the projector set to the component input.

You will need to run the VGA cable separately, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks