What's new

what to buy (1 Viewer)

Dan C

Agent
Ok, here's the story: I just started building a home theater in my basement (20W x 25L). I have been getting lots of advise on this forum just by reading others messages and submitting a few myself but now I really want some advise. I want to buy some good quality speakers that I will build in to the walls of my theater that I wont have to worry about replacing for a long time. Someone tried to sell me on the Klipsch Ultra2 THX system and others said Kef. Not taking money as the main reason to buy a product, which speakers are great quality that almost everyone can agree is worth spending money on. I really dont have a budjet but I would prefer not to blow tons of money just for a name. Heard of energy (rears:2.2WM, sides:2.3WM’s, fronts:2.3i, center:V2.0Ci)? Any good? What about Velodyne subs (Velodyne HGSX-15), is the top model 15in. a good investment? Does this setup sound like it will work? Again if I have to spend it I will, but I would rather get good quality than a good expensive name. Please help!!

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
It seriously depends on your taste. Go audition, audition, and audition. Then you can get an idea of the type of speaker that you like. Maybe you'll like the bright sound of Klipsch. Maybe you'll want something more warm and laid back.

Personally, I'd go for an online speaker vendor. They generally offer better value. But still, audition to get an idea of what you want.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you're willing to spend that kind of money definitely go audition everything you can. That new Klipsch system is supposed to be incredible, but not too many people have heard it (mostly just people at CES). Also, don't assume that just because something has a big name it's not worth checking out. Sure, you pay some for the name, but if it's what you really like then it doesn't matter. That being said, you should check out the B&W 800 series. They are great speakers, but will sound completely different from the Klipsch. Also, about the sub, if you get the Klipsch system I think it includes two subs and I'd probably stick with them so you'll have the full THX system. I don't think THX is overly important, but if the rest of the system is then you might as well finish it off right.

Dan C

Agent
That is what I thought but some one told me that Klipsch is the only company that makes their speakers with horns. I have listened to other Klipsch and loved them but was told that the horns make for long listening fatigue. I have auditioned many speaker sets and still I am stuck. Yes two subs come with the Ultra2 system with a amp for the subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks