What's new

What to buy - Music mostly but also for HT (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I have finally decided on speakers for our home. I'm going to get a set of Definitive Technology BP7006's.

Our main use will be for music but as time goes on I will be adding a center and rears. I am not really looking into those right now because the room we have just doesn't work well for HT. Its 25x25 but due to some designs done with the architecture it just doesn't work well.

So with HT in mind eventually what is available as far as a reciever? Price wise I'm looking at dollars for performance.

What is the best bang for the buck for say 800-1200?

I'm also looking for a good DVD-A player to go with it. Not sure what even the prices on these units are. I've done some searching but no real luck on where to start.

Thanks

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Denon and Harmon Kardon are both top contenders in that price range. Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo also make great receivers in that price range and lower.

There aren't a lot of wrong answers here. Since you aren't immediately going for HT, then the processor modes and lots of audio and video switching (the other functions of the receiver) aren't important.

I'd be tempted to tell you to look around at some vintage pre-owned gear that was high quality two channel and buy something really nice at a lower price point that will meet your immediate needs. Then, next year, or whenever you are ready for HT, go pull the trigger on the latest and greatest stuff.

The technology changes quickly and you have a lot of learning to do in the mean time.

Almost all the Pioneer and Sony and Panasonic players will support DVD-A and SACD, both high resolution audio.

check out Audiogon for some great used gear http://cls.audiogon.com/

I think there's also a ForSale section here.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We went to a local Definitive dealer today and were pretty suprised at what we saw and heard.

We settled on BP7004's after hearing them.

They showed us a variety of Yamaha units, the RXV600 and the RXV657. Still trying to decide if the HDMI switch is worth the $300. Multi-zone was a big seller for us in those units.

We also checked out a Integra DPS-65 DVD-A/SACD player.

Prices were way lower than I thought they would be which kind of pushed us into the next level of DT speakers.

Hopefully we'll be picking this up in a week or two assuming we like what we hear when they demo it for us as a set. I'm going to get some music together and go back for a real test later on in the week.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I'm assuming you meant RX-V1600 instead of 600. Also, keep in mind, the new 657 does feature a fully functional YPAO EQ to set your system up with.

In regards to HDMI switching, you have to ask yourself if it's something you truly need, or is it something that would be great to have because it's a new feature. Personally, I usually don't use my receivers for video switching, so it would be a waste in my opinion. However, I do remember that last year's 2500 had a better on-screen display than the 1500 had. I wonder if this same is true this year between the 1600 and 2600 receivers from Yamaha?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I might have the model numbers wrong and you are correct there is the auto setup feature.

Would I use the HDMI switch, for sure. Is it worth it alone...not sure...

My cablebox is DVI, my DVD player is DVI, and my OTA is DVI. I'd put the OTA on component and use the HDMI switch on the Yamaha to swap between the cablebox and DVD player.

Ask my wife how useful that feature would be :)

I was never too interested in the whole idea of using reciever to switch video inputs. However it seems to have come a long way. My big complaint still is the fact I'd have to switch to an analog source to see the on screen menu. I don't understand why they just don't overlay the online menu on whatever input you are currently using.

I have not seen the on screen display but the sales person did say it was far better than in the past.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The good news is. that DT's don't need much power with 8 ohms impedance, and 92 db efficiency, not to mention it's built in powered subs, you can reach high spl levels with 50 watts/channel.However since it's bipolar, it will need special care to set them up.Personally I would use electronics that considered neutral or "warm" sounding. I. E. Marantz, HK, Pioneer Elite, Denon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks