What's new

What Titles Would You Like to see on Blu-Ray??? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by dana martin

After giving some thought and seeing how well this format really can make black and white pop off of the screen, I do have a few ideas of what I would love to see. Granted these will not happen any time soon, but as the next generation, grows I can only hope that the Studios start to use this time to prep all of there catalog titles to this standard, that means remastering to hi def standards, not porting over an inferior product, the reason this is stated is that some of the films I am interested in have been restored, but the restoration, had glitches, sound drops, and such, so here we go

20th Century Fox

Charlie Chan Volume 1
Charlie Chan Volume 2
Charlie Chan Volume 3
Charlie Chan Volume 4
Charlie Chan Volume 5
Hitchcock- All Owned

MGM/Sony/Fox
Chanathology
And the remaining Monogram Chan Films
Kubrick-All Owned [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]thank you Criterion[/COLOR]

Universal

Classic Monsters Series
Universal Sci Fi Classics
Hitchcock- All Owned
Battlestar Galactica (BSG) Season Sets,
Caprica Complete Series US Release

Warner
Hammer Films
Hitchcock
Remaining Kubrick’s
Tarzan’s (all of them) (or at least the Weismullers)
Looney Tunes (Started)
Tom& Jerry, all restored, all unedited, uncensored, complete set, from HB to Chuck Jones (Vol 1 was a start waiting on the next)

MPI
Rathbone Sherlock Holmes Series

That would be a good start

ok so now on to more,

Fox/MGM some of the Pam Greir films

Coffy

Foxy Brown

Scream Blacula Scream/ Blacula Double feature

Warner / New Line,

well apprently New Line is going to rerelease Texas Chainsaw Massacure (1974) getting back to New Line's Grindhouse era roots so how about and official release of the Sonny Chiba Streetfighter Trilogy

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder what the chances are of a childhood favorite of mine popping up on Blu-ray. North West Frontier (1959) A great 'scope boys own adventure film with Kenneth More & Lauren Bacall.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
I could make a list from here to doomsday; but off the top of my head, I'll list some of my highlights: Lawrence of Arabia Red River (fully restored) Anthony Mann's films--especially the westerns; El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire and The Heroes of Telemark 55 Days at Peking Spartacus (complete restoration) The Alamo (roadshow restoration) Vertigo Rear Window The Birds Foreign Correspondent Shadow of Doubt Sunset Boulevard Stalag 17 Double Indemnity The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes Fedora Sabrina The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Young Mr. Lincoln They Were Expendable My Darling Clementine She Wore a Yellow Ribbon The Quiet Man The Long Voyage Home Cheyenne Autumn Touch of Evil Chimes at Midnight (Falstaff) Lady From Shanghai Only Angels Have Wings Bringing Up Baby His Girl Friday The Big Sleep To Have and Have Not The Story of G.I. Joe Battleground Yellow Sky They Died With Their Boots On The Sea Hawk (1941) Captain Blood City Lights The Gold Rush Chaplin's Mutual shorts The Big Parade The Crowd Sunrise The Last Laugh To Be or Not to Be The Shop Around the Corner Ninotchka The Philadelphia Story The Shootist Charlie Varrick Budd Boetticher's Randolph Scott westerns Ride the High Country Major Dundee (but I believe it is scheduled) Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid Cross of Iron Singin' In the Rain The Band Wagon On the Town It's Always Fair Weather The Court Jester Astaire & Rogers Musicals Busby Berkeley's WB musicals A Hard Day's Night Help! Roman Holiday The Great Escape Chinatown Midnight Run The Long Goodbye Point Blank Bad Day at Black Rock Key Largo High Noon Shane Jeremiah Johnson High Plains Drifter The Asphalt Jungle Out of the Past White Heat Murder My Sweet Get Carter Madigan The French Connection (in a watchable form) On the Waterfront One Eyed Jacks (restoration) From Here to Eternity Sam Fuller films--especially Pickup on South Street and The Big Red One Preston Sturges films--the Paramount films + Unfaithfully Yours The Lion in Winter Tom Jones The Train Dr, Mabuse (all of Fritz Lang's Mabuse films) Spies hell anything and everything by Friz Lang Too Late the Hero Hell is For Heroes 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea The Marx Brothers Paramount films + A Night at the Opera I guess I will stop here for now--because, as I said--I could go on til doomsday, and probably left off some very obvious selections. Cheers!

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
Looking for Mr. Goodbar - standard DVD would be fine. Long overdue for a DVD release. Oliver! The Cardinal Exodus -to replace DVD that is a poor transfer. The Great Gatsby (Mia Farrow, Robert Redford) Hello, Dolly! Splendor in the Grass -saw a broadcast on HDNet Movies that was beautiful. Cabaret - with proper screen ratio The Group Paint Your Wagon Li'l Abner Nicholas and Alexandria

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My Blu-ray wants are few and easily satisfied: All I Desire, 1953 Magnificent Obsession, 1954 Sign of the Pagan, 1954 All That Heaven Allows, 1955 Summertime, 1955 Bus Stop, 1956 Lust For Life, 1956 Never Say Goodbye, 1956 co-directed by Douglas Sirk There's Always Tomorrow, 1956 Written on the Wind, 1956 Battle Hymn, 1957 Interlude, 1957 Island In the Sun, 1957 A Time To Love And A Time To Die, 1958 The Tarnished Angels, 1958 Imitation of Life, 1959 The Unforgiven, 1960 Black Sabbath, 1963 Persona, 1967 Hour of the Wolf, 1967 Fearless Vampire Killers, 1967 Taming of the Shrew, 1967 Romeo and Juliet, 1968 Rosemary's Baby, 1968 Catch 22, 1970 The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, 1970 The Andromeda Strain, 1971 McCabe & Mrs. Miller, 1971 Cries and Whispers, 1972 Islands In the Stream, 1976 Julia, 1977 Tess, 1979 The Emerald Forest, 1985 EDIT: trimmed about 20 posters so that it would load up easier for some of you.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
AMy Blu-ray wants are few and easily satisfied:
[COLOR=FF00AA]La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc[/COLOR] (France) 1928
(Saint Joan the Maid)
Biopic is even BETTER than Dreyer's version.
A restoration and HD transfer exists in France.

The Virginian, 1929

Billy the Kid, 1930 the widescreen grandeur version and the full-screen alternate version.

For Whom the Bell Tolls. 1943

The Wolfman of the Malveneurs (France), 1943

Blood On the Moon, 1948

The Excreable Destiny of Guillemette Babin (France), 1948

The Pearl (Mexico), 1948

co-written by John Steinbeck with director Emilio Fernandez and photographed noir by Gabriel Figueroa.
The Passionate Friends, 1949

Two Flags West, 1950

The Bullfighter and the Lady, 1951

Deadline USA, 1952

Ride the Man Down, 1952

Four Guns to the Border, 1954

Secret of the Incas, 1954

The Last Command, 1955

The Magnificent Matador, 1955

Bandido, 1956

Foreign Intrigue, 1956

Pillars of the Sky, 1956

Star In the Dust, 1956

The Crucible (France) 1957

Five Steps to Danger, 1957

From Hell to Texas, 1958

The Wonderful Country, 1959

The Alamo, 1960 fully restored, please

Crack In the Mirror. 1960

Blood and Roses (France) 1961

One-Eyed Jacks, 1961 restored or at least cleaned up

The Naked Runner, 1967

Cemetery Without Crosses (France), 1969

Colossus: The Forbin Project, 1970 in the correct widescreen ratio:

Diary of a Mad Housewife, 1970

House of Dark Shadows, 1970

Little Murders, 1970

The Touch, 1970

Born to Win, 1971

Night of Dark Shadows, 1971

Restored to its original length.
Red Sky At Morning, 1971

Puppet On a Chain, 1972

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, 1973
Restored Director's Workprint and restored Theatrical Version.
NOT the Paul Seydor version.

The Thief Who Came To Dinner, 1973

Man On a Swing, 1974

Hard Times, 1976 in the correct widescreen ratio

Twilight's Last Gleaming, 1977

Renaldo & Clara, 1978, four-hour cinema verite epic

Renaldo & Clara, 1978, two-hour-alternate concert version

Eagle's Wing, 1979

Barbarosa, 1982 in the correct widescreen ratio

Five Days One Summer, 1982

Ballad of Gregorio Cortez, 1983

The Red-Headed Stranger, 1986

The Exorcist 3, 1990 restored to the director's original edit
with seamless branching for the producer's theatrical version

... and don't forget to give George C. Scott star billing on the Blu-ray package.
If WB had given him star billing on the poster, more people would have turned out to see the movie.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Great to see these posters even if . . . well, where I live in the UK my broadband speed enables me to watch Cleopatra (twice) in the time this thread now takes to spool up.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Richard W: Love the old movie posters, but I think my definition of "few and easily satisfied" differs from yours. :laugh: Of course, if your "few and easily satisfied" wants are ever met, my own wallet will take a big hit, I suspect. Here's hoping for your fulfillment. :tu:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
AdrianTurner said:
Great to see these posters even if . . . well, where I live in the UK my broadband speed enables me to watch Cleopatra (twice) in the time this thread now takes to spool up.
Sorry about that. I trimmed about 25 posters to make it easier for some of you to upload. One should always exercise restraint in one's uploads. Nothing sells a movie to the public and to the studio's home video division quite like an original movie poster.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll reiterate a trio of Hugh Grant films: Sirens Lair of the White Worm The Englishman who went up a Hill but came down a Mountain Also: The Swimmer Why Shoot the Teacher Local Hero Picnic at Hanging Rock The Wicker Man (original restored) Fahrenheit 451 Zardoz New Waterford Girl

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Jane Eyre needs to be rescued from public domain hell. from 1970. The first 35mm version to be shot in color and on locations in Yorkshire, England which was the setting of the novel. Released theatrically in Europe to unanimous acclaim and then sold to American television where it received unanimous acclaim. A popular 16mm rental in public schools throughout the 1970s. A printed guide for students went with it. A short-hand version of the novel, but Susannah York and George C. Scott take their characters to places the bigger and better-known versions fear to tread. It is a tone poem of a film, pure Gothic, lit for mood and exquisitely photographed by Paul Beeson. It will look spectacular on Blu-ray. A sweeping score by John Williams merits an isolated track. Jane Eyre proliferates in cheap and murky public domain editions, all open matte with lots of headroom, but I understand a quality transfer is available.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
The American President. I think it deserves at least the same kind of Special Edition treatment Stand By Me got. There was a panel discussion with the director Rob Reiner and cast at the Billy Wilder in Westwood a couple years ago. hard to find even in its correct OAR. Success of this movie led to the series The West Wing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by NY2LA

The American President. I think it deserves at least the same kind of Special Edition treatment Stand By Me got. There was a panel discussion with the director Rob Reiner and cast at the Billy Wilder in Westwood a couple years ago. hard to find even in its correct OAR. Success of this movie led to the series The West Wing.

I still have my laserdisc. I don't think I bought the DVD. It is one of the great underrated films.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
NY2LA said:
Has there in fact been a domestic Standard DVD release in the correct OAR? Thanks.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Right now the one film I desperately want to see in hi-def is THE ABYSS. I really wish Cameron would set aside his obsession with Titanic for a minute and work to finally release this thing on the format it was meant to be seen in. Look at it this way: once the film has been re-released, you won't have to put up with the hordes of people asking for it anymore.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
PORGY AND BESS is at the top of my list now that we know that the original elements survive and that the Gershwin family no longer objects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks