What ties to wear with black shirts?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I love black dress shirts. Black or Dark Grey are my favorite, I hate white dress shirts.

For a while I have been wearing a dress shirt informally, not buttoned all the way, no tie, with a t-shirt underneath slightly exposed.

Recently I've been getting the bug to be a bit more "dressy" for class, being it's my last semester and all. I wanted to start wearing ties with my dark shirts, but I have no idea what to wear.

In the rare cases I have had to dressup, I ahve worn a black tie on the black shirt, but it looks a little too mafia or mortuary, so I was wondering what else works?

White would only work if I'm a guitarist in a new-wave band, and the only other thing I've seen that would work is shiny grey (silver) or shiny gold.

Any other thoughts?

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I would suggest either a solid navy blue, or a solid dark red. If you're feeling a bit more outgoing, a brighter red.

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I always wear a dark red tie with my black shirt (hate white shirts too).

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

So, you wear the black tie and talk Italian all day - what's the problem? [​IMG]

Seriously, white would be best, but any tie with a white background would fit well. Not white with other equally spaced stripes or checks, but predominatly white with a.. Ok, I had a teacher once that used to wear a white tie with small flowers on it. The petals were all different colours, but they only took up about 20% of the tie space.

The contrast works out really well, IMO.

Glenn

5. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    If you always make a statement with your tie...you can not go wrong. I have a dress shirt that looks gray when you look at it one way...and almost lavender when you look at it another. The two ties I have that go very well with it are an orange with diagonal orange stripes in the same color... and a solid yellow gold tie. I have a good friend who is kind of my own personal "queer eye for the straight guy" and he helped me pick these out for an important date I had with the woman of my dreams. They worked well. [​IMG]

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

There are three elements to color. Your shirt, your tie, your suit. Your shirt shouldn't be the same colour as your suit. If your wearing a black shirt, put on a grey suit. Then add a single-color tie to offset your monochrome look. Anything from light purple to dark red, emerald green, whatever you think works for you.

AVOID

Black shirt, black tie: You ain't Johnny Cash.

Grey shirt, black tie: Unless your a Neo-Nazi

Black suit, white shirt, red tie: Unless your a vampire.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I wear one of my red ones if I wear my black shirt.

8. Rhonda Lynn

Rhonda Lynn Agent

I think a shiny royal blue would go nicely. [​IMG]

>'.'

9. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I think any tie with a little black in it would go with a black shirt. Wouldn't it?

10. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The rule with black shirts is:

Wear ties of jewel-tone colors but nothing loud. Do NOT wear a white tie unless you want to be mistaken for Edward G. Robinson. People will immediately look at your shoes for spats.

A wonderful place for ties is Ben Silver. Though the prices are astronomical, the ties are exquisite.

11. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Hey Buzz,

What happens to your tie when you sit down? I had to wear a tie recently, and my tie pin was not in my suit pocket like I thought. It was kind of OK when I was standing (although I found myself constantly straightening it), but looked really stupid when I was sitting. It wouldn't stay straight and was always going askew. And of course the two parts wouldn't stay together.

Needless to say, I made damn sure I had it the next time.

12. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Try a dark purple or a purple/gray tie. Looks great with a black dress shirt. [​IMG]

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you mean the regis look is already out? [​IMG]

when it comes down to it...are there really any rules for this? i mean, some people want to make a statment, so will go bold. others want to keep it toned down, so will go neutral.

black is a neutral color so just about anything will go. as long as it's balanced by the rest of the outfit, i think it'll work.

while not related specifically to ties, here's an article that may be worth a read.

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Regis was "in" at some time?[​IMG]

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

in a galaxy far far away.....

16. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Is it really bad to wear a black tie on a grey shirt? I started an internship last week and bought a couple shirts/ties for it. One of the shirts I bought was grey, and one of the ties black. I actually wore that combo (with black pants) last week, and I liked it. I didn't think it looked bad. What do others think?

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I never thought the black tie on a black shirt was bad. I actually like it and do it myself. As long as the black tie is shiny, it looks great! It's more of a classy look. Although, I live close to New York where wearing all black is almost a must [​IMG]

But definitely try a dark silver tie, they look quite classy on a black shirt.

18. Rhonda Lynn

Rhonda Lynn Agent

[​IMG] I think a black tie on a grey shirt with black pants is perfect. [​IMG]

>'.'

19. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

you forgot:

Black suit, red silk shirt, red silk tie: Unless you are the Merovingian

20. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Buzz,

Actually, I have the red shirt /red tie combination with a matching hatband.

You have to go custom to get a tie and shirt that are made from the same fabric.

But, It's for special occassions. I wore it for NYE and will wear it again for an upcoming Black and Red party.

Women were drooling over me.... [​IMG]