What's new

What the?!?! My Event Horizon and R1 Scream DVD are... ANAMORPHIC! (EDIT: probably not) (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well no one is more shocked than I am...

I guess these have been quietly upgraded...

I originally sold Event Horizon DVD because it was not enhanced for 16:9 TVs. I however love the movie so much that I picked it up again recently at cheap price.

I sold my uncut Canadian scream (wish I had not) because I decided to get the Scream boxset. I knew 1 was still not anamorphic but at least 2 had been upgraded to anamorphic in this release and became an SE as opposed to the original release I had.

Well I was surprised to find out when I put them in my player that they are both anamorphic. So is Halloween H20. Have I lost it? Weren't these titles NOT enhanced?

I seem to remember being upset that H20 had almost none of the originally advertised extras. I seem to remember it not being anamorphic. Is my memory failing me?

I was 100% sure the only way to get an anamorphic scream was to get it from another region. no?

Before anyone asks these are indeed legit R1 bought at regular stores...

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Are you sure you haven't upgraded to a player that automatically fills the screen since you first had these?;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
They may just be flagged to zoom in automatically on a 16x9 screen. I'll check my copies when I get home to see if they do this.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
My old JVC player did this and I believe the Panny Rp91?
Sounds like that is the case.

:)

Rolando

Screenwriter
hmmm...

Could be... I am at work right now and I made the discovery a few weeks ago. Have been meaning to post it but you know... always something else comes up (like the boss expecting me to work when at the office :b )

I guess being flagged to zoom is a possibility, I know the Malata 996 (player I use) is capable of doing manual zooms to fill the 16:9 screen for non enhanced DVDs. However they did not seem to have that stretched look.

I have changed player AND TV since I had these (twice even) but I am pretty sure of my discovery.

I will of course go home and try a different player tonight.

I will kill myself if I had the player outputting 480i and the TV aspect set to auto detect and IT zoomed it. I'll tell you this though, if either the TV or DVD player did some zooming it was pretty smooth. I have manuelly used both zooms for letterboxed DVD and TV content and it always looked grainier or blurrier.

I will report back.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, there is serious talk about of an SE soon, so I doubt Paramount would spend the extra dime to fix the old release-and not announce it.

But if someone confirms......

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I can't speak to Event Horizon and Paramount, but, in the past,Buena Vista has issued unannounced anamorphic versions of previously non-anamorphic discs.

DJ

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I would be more interested to know if SCREAM is finally uncut. I have the box-set (which I purchased maybe a year ago) and SCREAM is definitely 4:3 letterbox and the cut R-rated version in the one I have.

Vincent

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I'm curious about this too. When I had my panny RP91 set to 480P output it would auto-zoom properly flagged 4x3 lbx DVDs so that they appeared "anamorphic" as far as my display was concerned.

It totally fooled me a couple of times, until I figured out what was happening (which was nice, I liked the auto-zoom fuction).

Let us know!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Damin,

Could you elaborate on which titles this happened on?

Not sure if Good Will Hunting is one of the titles you are referring to, but I believe the threads abou that title never produced someone who actually had it. Like in the case Of Judge Dredd and Metro to name a few others, the packaging was mistakenly changed to reflect 16:9.

I'm not doubting this could have happenbed on other titles, just wanted to throw that out there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

In the beginning, when Drew Barrymore's boyfriend is killed, you see his organs spill out. In the R rated version, you just see the organs laying there after they come out (apparently the movement of them is what bothered the MPAA). The shot of Drew Barrymore tied in the tree is smoother since the rated version had to cut every other frame. Rose McGowan's head getting crushed is slightly longer and more fake looking. And near the end when Skeet Ulrich and Matthew Lillard stab each other, you see them instead of just seeing Neve Campbell's reaction to it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Four weddings and a funeral is also flagged to zoom (horribly). Much better when screen does it.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I recall that Highlander III was confirmed by a member of this forum to have been reissued with an anamorphic transfer. If I'm mistaken that this happened to that title, or any other title, I'm happy to be corrected.

DJ

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
A lot of these reportings seem to take on a mythic quality. Someone sees it, but evidence can't be found. Where's the fuzzy photographs?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well I am at home and I am checking scream 1. this is the one found in the boxset. Dimension Collector's series widescreen. UPC small 7 then 17951-0008-3 then small 5.

There is a sticker on the amaray case that covers the UPS code and it says " Not For Individual Sale." But of course you can slip the cover out of the case to read the code.

This is a legit copy, got the boxset and all 3 have this sticker.

it is anamorphic. either that or the player is somehow scaling in a way I have never seen. it is NOT zoomed. the TV is indeed set to aspect 16:9 standard (setting for enhanced DVDs and HDTV). if I set the TV's aspect to 4:3 standard the movie looks "squeezed" like any other enhanced transfer, everyone is tall and skinny.

I am on my way to try it on another player and to look for Event horizon.

more to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks