What's new

What system to buy? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey G

Agent
We're looking for the kids' first gaming system. Their ages are 6, 4, and 3 so Playstation 2 isn't an option; it would be history within a month, and $300 is too much for that short of a life. I'm considering the Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, and original Playstation. I can get the Dreamcast for $79, and the graphics looked great on the game that we tried in the store. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a mistake to go with it. Thanks for any feedback.
------------------
Jeff Gossett

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I think the original Playstation would be your best bet. Your kids are young enough that they won't realize that they aren't getting the latest and greatest, but will be very happy with the performance. The prices on them are great right now and the selection of games is just insane. You can also get many games for $19.99.
A Dreamcast would also be good, but the selection of games (especially for young kids)just isn't anywhere near what is available for the original Playstation.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Gaming system for the kids? Easy: a Nintendo 64. If Super Mario 64 won't keep them occupied for over a good month, then there's always
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Super Mario Kart 64
Waverace
Pokemon Stadium
Mario Party Series
Paper Mario
Zelda's
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Mickey's Speedway
Rayman 2
Star Fox 64
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi's Story
Conker's Bad Fur Day
and more.
Note: Conker's Bad Fur Day was a joke. You DO NOT want to buy that for your kids.
As for longevity and durability, the N64 has no moving parts and since it's cart based, you don't have to worry about scratching discs. The N64 jsut might be the perfect system for kids. And pretty good for adults too. You might find yourself playing a few games with (or without) them. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When you say the PS2 will be dead in a month, I hope you mean "there isn't enough software for my kids" and not "its becoming the next Dreamcast" because that is not the case.
I would reccommend an N64. You could buy a used one or even a new one cheap and there are TONS of great games for kids and teens and adults on that console. The PSX has the cheapest and largest library of games and the DC has the best graphics (of the 3 consoles in question).
Conker's Bad Fur Day is a "put the kids to bed and then play this" kinda game. Its great though.

Jeffrey G

Agent
Thanks for the input guys.
By the way, I meant that my kids would probably tear it up within a month, and that's why I don't want to put $300 in their first system. However, I would like to have the PS2 for myself, but I've spent a fortune on my Home Theater and it wouldn't go over well with the wife.
Thanks again.
------------------
Jeff Gossett

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If your kids will rip the console apart, then you definitely should go with the N64. The laser/lens on the DC and PSX would be ruined, though the PS2 would probably last longer. Then again, you wouldn't want to risk it with a $300 piece of hardware. I suggest you buy an N64 and get some adult oriented, 16:9, Dolby Surround games and play those in your theater to hold you off until you get a PS2.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
N64 without a doubt. The big N has always been the most kid friendly, and you can literally flush the carts down the toilet, and they'll still work (if you can get them back and you let them dry out).
------------------

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
The choice is simple. Buy a Playstation and you can buy a boatload of games for under $20.
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
N64 is the best system for kids. It is cheap, durable, and offers lots of kid friendly games. Playstation would be my second choice, but there aren't as many kid friendly games and discs dont take to rough handling nearly as well as cartridges.

Jeffrey G

Agent
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and got the N64 with 2 controllers at Circuit City for $99. I also bought Super Mario Cart 64 and the kids love it. It's already passed some durabilty tests that only my kids are qualified to perform: spilling grape juice in it, pulling it around the room by the controllers, etc. I did make a mistake and bought Mario Cart 64 before reading Mike B.'s post about getting used games from Blockbuster. I paid $40 for it. I'll definitely check around before buying anymore games.
Thanks again.
------------------
Jeff Gossett

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- yea check ebay or a local pawn shop, I've seen N64 games going for cheap. And just out of curiosity, how did you buy an N64 at Circuit City? I thought they only carried Sony when it came to consoles.
Hope your kids enjoy it as much as me, my brother, and sister did!
icon14.gif

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Actually, $40 is not that bad for a brand new game out of the store, damn good game too. Hell I just sold a used one for $160 a few weeks back, it was a rare one for the TG16 but the guy was "totally stoked" (exact words) about getting it. Check out the used games in video stores and stuff to get cheaper prices and make sure the place takes them back if they don't work. (I've been burnt on that one before)
Dean
Oh and Morgan, I'll say the same thing to you when you get your GC bud
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

[Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 05, 2001 at 11:45 PM]

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
We'll have none of that inflammatory language in this thread. You might tip this board right back into the hardware flaming abyss that it crawled out of last week.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Adam Nixon on September 06, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Morgan, come over to the UK if you think $40 is expensive for an N64 game! :) Converting pounds to dollars, many N64 titles here are still about $71!
I think you've made a good choice for the kids there, Jeff. Now just try not to get into the situation where you find yourself playing it more then they do.
wink.gif

Dan (UK)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Usually, the million seller copies of games are a lot cheaper than the brand new ones. Even if its not a million seller copy, the games are usually cheaper than $40 for being a few years old. What I was saying is that I have seen games like GoldenEye for less than $40 in stores and Mario Kart 64 being $40 is surprising. I would have thought a game that old and that common would be a lot cheaper.

Greg Black

Second Unit
The standard price for any Player's Choice title is $40. I've never seen them marked lower than that.
There are many N64 games less than $40, but none of them are Player's Choice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Then I stand corrected. I thought I had seen them for less, but I must have been wrong. I'm sorry for my comments and withdraw them.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
It's already passed some durabilty tests that only my kids are qualified to perform: spilling grape juice in it, pulling it around the room by the controllers, etc.
/me looks around the room at his huge videogame collection/
Looks like no kids for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks