What's new

What subwoofer type to use? (1 Viewer)

0pr8r

Auditioning
Real Name
Oz
Im currently putting together my audio system from used parts nothing spectacular but mid range stuff. Now do to wife requirements nothing can be visible so I've purchased 5 SpeakerCraft Aim8 threes that will be powered by a Denon AVR 2113CI . Problem Subwoofer Since nothing can be visible I plan on hiding the subwoofer in a cabinet that will be part of my new fireplace (photos below). Question is should I build my own sub enclosure into the fireplace and add a sub amp or should I create a shelf and place a powered subwoofer into the space (ex. SuperCube 2000). If creating an enclosure is the better option can somebody point me in the right direction to a forum post or a list of recommended components to purchase in order to build an enclosure. Below are the pictures of the fireplace I'm building and the space where I plan on building either a shelf or speaker enclosure. Its 11 1/2 inches wide. I appreciate any help you guys can provide thanks.
3d5ebe11_IMG_3607copy.jpeg
e609c396_IMG_3677.jpeg
021c812a_IMG_4546.jpeg
c5cbdcdb_IMG_8339.jpeg

hvjackson

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry Jackson
I hope you're not planning on still using that fireplace now that you've built a wood enclosure around it, for a couple reasons: - Most importantly, the clearance between the fireplace opening and the woodwork is way too small, creating a fire hazard. If you want to follow building code (which you should) you should look this up for your area, but this would typically be something like a minimum clearance of 12" above, and then a maximum protrusion of 1" for each additional 1" of clearance. - Also there will be a lot of heat on the electronics (I assume you're planning on mounting a TV, and maybe putting other components like the subwoofer). Heat is not good for electronics; you definitely don't want to bake your brand new setup.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, if you ever plan on selling this house...or even having an insurance policy... Check building code. My primary installer, I sent him this picture. He is still laughing.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
wow...interesting idea, but a whole lot of head ache!! Can you get the sub on a floor ? It would sound much better than being suspended inside a cabinet.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it meets fire code, I will help but I am agreeing with the others. Plus, picking spot for the sub BEFORE even buying or building one is just a guess. Sub frequencies interact heavily with the room. In one area, the bass can be overwhelming and in others, non-existent. It's always best to check for the proper location of a sub or use multiple subs to make sure the frequency response is as flat as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks