What's new

what subs should i get? (1 Viewer)

Paul Campione

Auditioning
I am looking to buy 2 12" subs for my vw jetta. The sales person at best buy said the best system he could set up for me was 2 rockford fosgate 2212 12" subs powered by the rockford fosgate 1000bd mono amp. I will be playing this system at high levels and listining to mostly house and dance music, and a little alternative music occasionally. I want the subs to give a quick crisp sound. Is this a good choice in hardware or is there better for around $1500 canadien, or about $1000 u.s. Thanks verry much for your help!

NicholasL

Second Unit
For $1000? Oh my god there are TONS more options. Fosgate is good, but not nearly what they used to be. Personally, I think Eclipse and Image Dynamics make some of the best higher end subs. JL and Alpine make good entry levels. Whatever you do though, don't go to Bestbuy, Goodguys, Circuit City, or those places to audition subs and amps.

And stay away from Al and Ed's Autosound...they mark up prices like a muthaf*cka.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
2 Shivas

2 Tempests

2 av12s

You can go all day!!

For my money I'd take 2 Shivas and run em with a couple of JBL mono amps or look around for a coulple used JL amps

Brent

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
The Avionixx 1100D has better features (remote gain, better xover, subsonic filter) for the same price. That would be my choice if you're wanting to run that much power.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/ampspec/tsunamispec.htm

A pair of Shivas would be both loud and clear, but they would take up quite a bit of space. I would probably run a Brahma 12", Stryke HE15 (if they still make them), Stereo Integrity Magnum, or JL W7. Remember that doubling cone area only gains 3db. I've never felt it worth paying 2x as much money on subs for the marginal gain.

And please tell me you have upgraded your stock speakers...

Niraj Patel

Agent
I would chose any of the Elemental Design offerings. I own the K series and it is a great sub that sounds like its worth 10x what its price is. I have heard the A series and have never heard anything better.

www.edesignaudio.com (same site as the poster above)

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
2x on the elemental designs, they are kinda ugly looking subs (In my opinion) but they sound great and are a good bang for the buck sub. The A series tend to require a good amount of power to sound their best.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For $1k I would go with 2 Elemental Design 12A's and either a Rockford 1501bd or Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1, either wired for 2 Ohm.

ED 12a's: $600 for 2
RF or PG Tantrum: $425-$525 new on ebay

Remember a dual 12" sub box will eat up a lot of trunk space in your Jetta. I opted to go for a single 12" at first to be on the safe side.

Sean Me

Grip
I would just go with one of the "supersubs" ie Adire Brahma, IDMax, JL w7, and feed it a ton of power.

C

Chris*Liberti

I would go either a single JL Audio 13W7 with a JL Audio 1000/1. Or I would go with 2 JL Audio 12w6v2

Chris*Lombardo

Auditioning
OK. Yes rockford makes a decent sub, but there are some better ones out there. I'm running an Adire brahma 12" with a tsunami 1100db. Unfortunantly my sub came broken. There was lead slap and the dust cap blew off. But it still yeilded better sound quality than two of my friends rockford he2's. It also got decently loud with my amp on the lowest setting. For 1000 I would HIGHLY reccomend shying away from JL w7 and w6. 1st reason W7's are way too expensive and finding an amp for those wierd ohm's is tough and buying a jl 1000/1 is expensive. 2nd reason There are better subs out there than the W6v2's. But don't get my wrong i believe that the W7 is the most solid sub on the market today.

I have two setups for that would work very well.

1st) This one will take up more space but sound utterly amazing. 2 Stereo Integrity Magnum D2's stereointegrity (that's the website with) they run 300 each, but people are saying sound amazing and loud. Along with that i would get the Tsunami db1800. For 350 +shipping. plus about 50 bucks for the box you make yourself. And then another 50 for wiring. That's just a bit over 1000

2nd) This one won't take up quite as much space, but also hold it's own. 1 15" Audio Adire Brahma. $429+shipping. And then get an amp of your choice. A tsunami db1100 (235$
) is a good choice, as it will give your sub an optimal 1100 watts. Don't be fooled by the hefty 1600watt rms. You can send this driver into full excursion with just 900.

tsunami amps from edesignaudio (that's the webtie i'm not allowed to link to other sites yet.drrr

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
As you've seen, there's tons of better options. I think the best bang for the buck woofer are the Stryke AV12 and AV15.
http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html

Another woofer to consider is the Stryke SAE1204. It's performance will be very similar to a Shiva but works better in a smaller box. Also you can get two for $199 from Apex Jr.

http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

If you want something better, my first choice for a car woof would be one of the Resonant Engineering XXX subs. They have XBL motors like the Adire Brahma, come in 10, 12, 15, and 18", and all have a one way Xmax of 32mm:emoji_thumbsup:.

www.respl.com

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I think the brahma is perfect. I owned 2 15" which you can see on my www and it is probably the best sounding subwoofer I've ever heard, and its spl is just as good if not better than the 13W7. I ran mine off of 2 Crossfire BMF1000Ds which I'd alsl recommend but if your looking for something with a little bit more power Id say Orion 1200D. That amp is a beast and puts out tremendous power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks