what sub should i get

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul Campione, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Paul Campione

Paul Campione Auditioning

i have an athena p-400 (10") sub right now and it just isnt cutting it in my large 24x24 room. I like allot of base and was thinking about getting the velodyne cht-12 (12") or the velodyne cht-15 (15"). I'm worried that the cht-15 wont be as good for music as the cht-12, is this true? And do you have any better sudjestions for a sub under $800 that compares to velodyne. Thanks.

2. KeithYates

KeithYates Auditioning

In the upcoming issue of Home Theater magazine I launch the first installment of a 2-part feature on 8 subs -- real measurements & listening tests, absolutely free of contamination by room acoustics -- and several are near or a little under $800. They include the Canton AS50SC, NHTSW12, JBL Studio 120PII, Earthquake SuperNova 10 MkIV. Also included, but a little over the $800 mark, are the Velodyne SPL-1000 Series II, Triad InRoom Silver, Totem Thunder and Adire Sadhara. Part 1 should be on the newsstands within a matter of days. Hope it's helpful!

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

SVS PB1
    Any SVS PC series sub
    SVS 25-31 PC+
    Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3 (not the rosewood one which is $1000+)

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions too.

Good luck.

4. Ozzie_Sheikh

Ozzie_Sheikh Auditioning

I was debating between a Velo CHT-12 and SVS 25-31 PCi. At the end, I decided what the hey, lets try the SVS. Now, it is a permenent residence in my HT. [​IMG].

5. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

I recently put together a 5.1 HT on a low-mid budget... and got a CHT-15 for about $517. At this price, it works very well. This will hold me off until I can upgrade to a PB2+ next year.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, The Velodyne CHT Series is good option.

Rus