What's new

What speakers should I get? (1 Viewer)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I'm kinda new to this HT thing, and was just wondering what type of speakers people around here would recommend?
Thanks in advance.:)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the suggestion. I have heard a lot of good things about Paradigm on this forum. I will have to check them out. ;)

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry---I just got through reading both threads and I couldn't resist. :D I do have a Paradigm setup in my family room, however. I just bought 4 Atoms, a CC170, and a PDR-10 in Canada for about $625US. If anyone is looking for a nice budget setup, I highly recommend it.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
There's this guy from Austin too who has 20's, 80's and 100's. Maybe you could hook up with him to audition?

Also, it would be helpful if you could tell us what your primary concern with the speakers is. Good sound? Well marketed? Most popular?

Martin.

george king

Supporting Actor
Mark,

Everyone would love to help you, but I think you should provide a little more information. For example, what is your budget, how many speakers do you need, and will this be only for HT or for HT and music?

Everyone will shamelessly plug their favorite speaker (I will do the same), but the best advise is to take some time, take some of your favorite CDs and listen to lots of speakers.

As to the shameless plug. I love Kef speakers because of the amazing midrange and high frequencies. The downside is they do not have much useable bass, so a sub is necessary.

Budget set up:

2 pairs Kef Q15.2's (fronts and surrounds - $350/pair list)

Q95c.2 center ($350 list)

Adire audio Rava sub.

Middle of the road set up:

2 pairs Kef RDM 2 (fronts and surrounds - $1200/pair list)

Q200c - center ($800 list)

Adire audio Dharman ($600) or SVS sub

High End

They have a brand new reference line that supposedly sounds great. The monitors start at $3500 list and go up to $15K for a pair. So you could take your pick.

Talon Roc subwoofer - $4K

Hope this helps.

PomingF

Second Unit
Mark, after almost 700 post & you're still a newbie. Dang you must be a slow, very slow learner. :D
Come down to the Alamo & you can demo what I've got here. I can promise you there ain't no Paradigm in my house. :)
PF

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Mark,
How close are you to Wichita Falls TX? Take a road trip up there to listen to GR-Research kits. Danny Richie will demo his designs there. His kits offer the best sound:value ratio I have ever seen/heard. I have a pair of his AV1's and like them better than Paradigm Studio's, any B&W's, and M&K. All for the same price as a pair of minimonitors. You should check them out. Maybe a pair of Paradox1's will be a good fit for you. All of their speakers are of Audiophile quality for a much lower price.
Give a look at GR's website.
http://www.gr-research.com/

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Mark - Seriously, George is right with his statements about your budget. After you decide how much you're willing to spend you start your search. Most of the manufacturers you hear about on this fourm have lines that will fit nearly every budget. So pick you amount, and then grab some CD's and DVD's and go listen to speakers.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I want to thank everyone that has responded, but I should clear some things up before this continues. There were a couple of entertaining threads that pertained to the reason I started this thread. It was made in jest. A few of the participants of those threads have joined in, and realized the joke. :D
To all the others:
Scott, I really want to audition some JM Lab speakers, I haven't had the chance yet, but when I do get some new speakers those will be on my list.
George, I have always enjoyed KEF speakers. My brother has a pair of Reference something or others, I forget the exact model ,but they must be 10 years old, and they sound outstanding. Thanks for your input.
Poming, I always enjoy hearing other people's setup. I will take you up on that, just let me know when you have time, and we can set something up that works for you. Thanks.
Jeff, I probably live about an hour and a half away from the Falls, I'm in Austin. Those speakers you mention sound very interesting. I have thought about a DIY project, and may have to make my way up there to hear those as well. Thanks for the offer.
So before anymore kind folks respond, I am not a newbie, and I'm not currently looking for speakers. ;)
Thanks to all again.:D

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Mark - The Falls are about half way between Amarillo and Dallas, so you're half hour drive from Austin make take you a little longer:laugh:
So what kind of stuff are running now? Just out of curiosity.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Whoa Poming!!!!

You have SOOOOOO much stuff I want to hear. It may be a couple of weeks, but I am there. Really nice system you have there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks