What sort of things do you collect?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I collect coins and my wife collects toned coins, 2 dollar bills and pokemon plushies. What sort of things do you collect?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Spores, molds and fungus. :D

Suzanne.S likes this.
  3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I used to collect Ricky Henderson baseball cards and comic books but I got into HT and car audio about 20 years ago so I couldn't afford it any longer.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I used to collect comic books, records ('70's to today, mostly with picture sleeves and imports) and of course, DVDs.

The comic books have mostly been sold off and replaced with the graphic novel/hardcover collections, the vinyl still sits in crates in my closets, and the DVDs have pretty much stopped, except for the occassional SE or box set release.

5. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I have about 3,000 books and 2,500 LPs. One of my passions is collecting Beatles recordings (all formats). I've been collecting them since 1969 and have about 275 LPs (some unopened) as well as hundreds of CDs and SCs of their music.

6. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    Books, dvds and dust.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I'm uncertain if it qualifies as collecting - but I have a pretty sizable assortment of SF and fantasy literature that I've read / still on the 'to do' list to read, including a pretty big backlog of Ebooks in a variety of genres to read.

- Walter.

8. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Thats sounds pretty cool! How do you store them/display them? Do you have any friends or family that collect them too?

9. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    That is quite a collection! Its amazing that you amassed such a sizable collection. A cousin of mine collects LPs as well and I though he had a lot when I saw that he had 500 of them.

Ockeghem likes this.
  10. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    A friend of mine in grade school (1967-1968) also collected LP's. Estemate was 3000. Couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw them. He also collected reel-to-reel tapes and empty Fresca cans. Both were all over the house.

I don't really collect anything but I do have some of the old Pepsi comic glasses they gave away at hamburger joints in the 60's and 70's (6 hamburgers for a $1!) when you bought a Milk Shake or Root Beer Float.. Have about 35 of them.

Like these...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/4084009658.html

I used to collect "League Leader" baseball cards. They were dirt cheap compared to the regular player cards and you always had some great names. Roberto Clemente, Billy Williams and Pete Rose on the same card for $1.50. I still have about 3000 regular cards from the late 60's/early 70's. I kept one of each and sold the duplicates.

https://www.google.com/search?q=league+leader+cards&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS539US539&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DcVIUtWKCsaDqQHH6IHACA&ved=0CGgQsAQ&biw=1656&bih=722&dpr=1

Now it looks like I collect speakers, dvd/BluRay players and receivers!

Ron1973 likes this.
  11. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    That is a ton of records! Thats gotta take a lot of room up. reel-to-reel tapes sounds like an interesting thing to collect. How does one store a large collection of those?

12. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Those are some pretty cool glasses and you have quite the card collection going there. I always found the older cards to be so much better. I collected cards in the 90s, but I'm not too in to them anymore. I collected them mainly because my friends and family were so in to them.

I think most of us can say we collect speakers, dvd/blu rays and recievers lol

13. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    As I remember, (it was a long time ago) he had one bedroom that had three walls covered in bookcases and everyone of them was full of LP's. The reel-to-reel tapes were on shelves in the dining room. The tape player was on the dining table (they ate elswhere...priorities!).

I really like those old glasses. they bring back a lot of memories. Same with the cards. Guess that's why we keep all that old stuff. Plus, they're just better then most things made today.

14. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I like to collect action figures, but getting married slowed that waaaaaaaaay down. My local comic book store has a 25 cent/1.00 bin, and i pick up a comic or two when I visit.

15. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Originally I had a similar experience with my wife in dealing with coin collecting. She thought I was retarded for paying 20 bucks for a penny (or anything over face value for that matter). Thats completely changed no-a-days though because she has become a coin collector herself lol

Ron1973 likes this.
  16. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Ditto for me, but also must add in the factor of "unopened" DVDs, still in their shrink-wrap, many of them ten or more years old, but I had to have them. I'm probably up into the 600-700 range now, but probably about 100 that I've never opened.

Even with books, I'm terrible. Still working on 11/22/63 from Stephen King, which I bought over a year ago.

17. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Do you collect special editions in the dvds as well?

18. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    I went through some "phases" where I was buying a lot of dvds, blurays, music cds, etc ... without watching them (or listening).

It took me a long time to eventually realize it was completely mindless, and probably pointless.

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    jcroy, you and me both. Now I borrow most of my DVDs from the local library, only buying the occasional special treat on Blu. Hopefully they'll start getting Blu-rays soon! :)

20. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I mostly collect historical relics from wars and medicine.

I have two swords from from the Civil War. I have plans on a battle written in ink that was not intended to last this long(the kind of piece of paper that is worthless...but it was treated years ago to quit losing ink visibility).

Have some memorabilia from the Zulu wars.

Various medical devices(whether they were bogus or not) back to the 1600s.

Prized possession is an actual case of papers related to the Boston Tea Party. Again, not worth much...but somebody somewhere should have it. I've seen similar papers in museums.

Ron1973 and Ockeghem like this.