What sort of Board Games do you Play

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    We play TTR: Europe all the time. I have the 1910 and Dice expansions, but we haven't really played with them. I also have the original US and Asia maps on the iPad version. TTR is one of those rare games that you can play casually with the family or really cutthroat with serious gamers (especially if they've memorized the Ticket cards!). Castle Panic is another one that we like. There's a sequel called something like "Dead Panic" where you're defending a house against zombies.

Which farming game are you talking about? There are a million and a half of 'em. :)

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ticket to Ride is a great game. Played it a bunch a couple years ago. Two player works very well. I've heard the Europe version is also neat.

3. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I'll have to check out Goa and Compounded, sounds interesting. Thanks for asking around about Wealth of Nations, I'm not quite sure if the purely economic game like this would be a lot of fun. The pricing mechanism in it seemed well done when I watched a review on it.

4. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I wasn't aware there were so many of them. Heres a link to the one I got off of amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Farmer-WF100-Farming-Game/dp/B00004UDWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1394813727&sr=1-1&keywords=the+farming+game. We played this game a ton when we first got it. Some of things that happened to us were just hilarious, but all in all its a great game. I ran into it at a local board game shop when I use to live in the metro Detroit area, so I looked up reviews on it and ended up buying it. We play it whenever we only have an hour or two to dedicate to a board game since its a bit shorter than many of the other games we have been playing lately.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Aha, when you wrote "the farming game" you meant "The Farming Game." :)

I played Goa once when the first edition was new. I seem to remember enjoying it, but it was quite a while ago.

6. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Ive got to say i an very impressed with civilization so far. It was a bit overwhelming at first (proabably becuase we learned it with both expansions), but once u get the rules down, its a lot more simple than it seemed. We've played it threw 4 times with various people now and everyone has enjoyed it. Exploring the map through the "fog of war" was quite fun and unique. The game runs surprisingly similar to the older versions of the video game as well. It feels like the game was meant to be a board game becuase of how fun this is.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
  8. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I never knew civ has been around that long. My first exposure to it was the PS1 version of the game.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    This Saturday is International Tabletop Day. If there's a game or comics store anywhere in the area, there may be a gaming event scheduled.

http://www.tabletopday.com/

10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Some of these may already have been mentioned, but a few more board games that we play include Apples to Apples (including the Junior edition and the Bible edition), Made For Trade: A Game of Early American Life, Sequence: States & Capitals, 10 Days in Africa, 10 Days in the Americas, 10 Days in Asia, 10 Days in Europe, and 10 Days in the USA. I mentioned before that we play (and love) Mille Bornes and Ricochet Robots (the former is probably a card game more than a board game). We also play Chess, Clue, and Stratego (original version). My youngest son plays the updated version of Stratego.

11. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Very old-fashioned, but I'm a brutal killer with Monopoly. Maybe a little Donald Trump in me, but it has gotten to the point nobody will play with me anymore (keep your minds out of the gutter). I always win.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    The best edition of Apples to Apples is the Disney box. The cards aren't the best quality, but they feature a lot of cool material and great color photos.

A popular related game is Cards Against Humanity, but if you're playing the Bible edition of A2A then you should probably avoid it. :)

The 10 Days games are great.

I used to play Ricochet Robots a lot, but, like Stan, got so good at it that people stopped playing with me. Hm, I think my kid is old enough for it now. . .

13. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Would anyone by interested if I posted some of the reviews I've done of board games I've mentioned and their expansions?

Ockeghem likes this.
  14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Northgun,Yes, I would like to read those. Thanks for the offer of sharing.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Sure.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I mentioned Ticket to Ride earlier in this thread.

I was informed of the existence of this video just today. I was ignorant of the entire series.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Bring on the reviews, Jacob! You should post 'em on BoardGameGeek, too.

18. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    My girlfriend gave me Pandemic for my birthday. Neither of us had played it before but we've really been enjoying it. The cooperative gameplay is interesting and not something I've seen before in a board game.

19. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Im posting the review of Talisman (just the base game so far) as a separate thread. Let me know what you guys think and/or what you would like to see more of in the next review.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've watched a few minutes of the first episode. It doesn't grab me enough to watch full episodes, but it's a cool idea. I've got a gaming friend that watches routinely and supports it (financially).