What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
We play TTR: Europe all the time. I have the 1910 and Dice expansions, but we haven't really played with them. I also have the original US and Asia maps on the iPad version. TTR is one of those rare games that you can play casually with the family or really cutthroat with serious gamers (especially if they've memorized the Ticket cards!). Castle Panic is another one that we like. There's a sequel called something like "Dead Panic" where you're defending a house against zombies.

Which farming game are you talking about? There are a million and a half of 'em. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ticket to Ride is a great game. Played it a bunch a couple years ago. Two player works very well. I've heard the Europe version is also neat.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
DaveF said:
I don't know Wealth of Nations. But the tile seems familiar. Either I've read it here, or friends have told me about it. I'll ask around.A gamer coworker recommended Goa and Compounded, when I asked for games with the strengths of Settlers (social interaction) without its weaknesses (players can get stuck for many rounds of no production). He thought those two had some good dynamics I'd like.
I'll have to check out Goa and Compounded, sounds interesting. Thanks for asking around about Wealth of Nations, I'm not quite sure if the purely economic game like this would be a lot of fun. The pricing mechanism in it seemed well done when I watched a review on it.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Aaron Silverman said:
Which farming game are you talking about? There are a million and a half of 'em. :)
I wasn't aware there were so many of them. Heres a link to the one I got off of amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Farmer-WF100-Farming-Game/dp/B00004UDWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1394813727&sr=1-1&keywords=the+farming+game. We played this game a ton when we first got it. Some of things that happened to us were just hilarious, but all in all its a great game. I ran into it at a local board game shop when I use to live in the metro Detroit area, so I looked up reviews on it and ended up buying it. We play it whenever we only have an hour or two to dedicate to a board game since its a bit shorter than many of the other games we have been playing lately.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Aha, when you wrote "the farming game" you meant "The Farming Game." :)

I played Goa once when the first edition was new. I seem to remember enjoying it, but it was quite a while ago.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Ive got to say i an very impressed with civilization so far. It was a bit overwhelming at first (proabably becuase we learned it with both expansions), but once u get the rules down, its a lot more simple than it seemed. We've played it threw 4 times with various people now and everyone has enjoyed it. Exploring the map through the "fog of war" was quite fun and unique. The game runs surprisingly similar to the older versions of the video game as well. It feels like the game was meant to be a board game becuase of how fun this is.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The original board game pre-dates the computer game by quite a few years.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71/civilization

pic114473_md.jpg

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I never knew civ has been around that long. My first exposure to it was the PS1 version of the game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Some of these may already have been mentioned, but a few more board games that we play include Apples to Apples (including the Junior edition and the Bible edition), Made For Trade: A Game of Early American Life, Sequence: States & Capitals, 10 Days in Africa, 10 Days in the Americas, 10 Days in Asia, 10 Days in Europe, and 10 Days in the USA. I mentioned before that we play (and love) Mille Bornes and Ricochet Robots (the former is probably a card game more than a board game). We also play Chess, Clue, and Stratego (original version). My youngest son plays the updated version of Stratego.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Very old-fashioned, but I'm a brutal killer with Monopoly. Maybe a little Donald Trump in me, but it has gotten to the point nobody will play with me anymore (keep your minds out of the gutter). I always win.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The best edition of Apples to Apples is the Disney box. The cards aren't the best quality, but they feature a lot of cool material and great color photos.

A popular related game is Cards Against Humanity, but if you're playing the Bible edition of A2A then you should probably avoid it. :)

The 10 Days games are great.

I used to play Ricochet Robots a lot, but, like Stan, got so good at it that people stopped playing with me. Hm, I think my kid is old enough for it now. . .

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Would anyone by interested if I posted some of the reviews I've done of board games I've mentioned and their expansions?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Northgun,Yes, I would like to read those. Thanks for the offer of sharing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I mentioned Ticket to Ride earlier in this thread.

I was informed of the existence of this video just today. I was ignorant of the entire series.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
My girlfriend gave me Pandemic for my birthday. Neither of us had played it before but we've really been enjoying it. The cooperative gameplay is interesting and not something I've seen before in a board game.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Im posting the review of Talisman (just the base game so far) as a separate thread. Let me know what you guys think and/or what you would like to see more of in the next review.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
I mentioned Ticket to Ride earlier in this thread. I was informed of the existence of this video just today. I was ignorant of the entire series.
I've watched a few minutes of the first episode. It doesn't grab me enough to watch full episodes, but it's a cool idea. I've got a gaming friend that watches routinely and supports it (financially).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks