What's new

What size subwoofer for ... (1 Viewer)

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
The question should really be :

What size in wattage for a powered sub in a 13 x 13 room

The two choices are Cambridge Soundworks:

12S Bass Cube - 12" woofer with 100 watts . The crossover is 55 to 160Hz and can reproduce bass down to 32Hz.

15S Bass Cube - 15"woofer with 150 watts. No crossover info but it can reproduce bass below 30Hz.

Which should I buy ? (and please give the reason why)

How low in Hz do most action movies go? (Explosions and stuff like that)

I watch a lot of action movies. After all isn't that the best type of movies to watch in surround sound.

Thanks in advance
Ed O'Neill

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
first you want a subwoofer than can produce bass as close to 20hz if not lower when possible. 2nd 32hz for a 12" sub is very poor and below 30hz for a 15" isnt that spectacular either, both those sizes in the appropriate boxs should be able to hit much lower than that. I would take a serious look at subwoofers from companys like SVS, Velodyne, Energy/Mirage, and others obviously some are going to be more expensive than others but you're subwoofer is going to be one of the most important purchases in your home theater system.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
ED I think you will save yourself some $$ and frustration if you were to decide on a different sub. It sounds as though you really like action movies and I am with you on that. LFE plays a big part in experiencing presence and you will realize very little compared to what you can with a more authoritative sub. You can trust me on this. It will also make your speakers sound much better.;)...O! Yes! there is allot of material below 30 Hz on DVD's and imo and many others it is the most desired/best.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi ED,

We know you like explosions but how loud do you like to play your music/movies? If you like explosions and action and consider yourself a person who blasts his music/movies to extremely loud levels, then I'm sure that you would be happy with something custom built by Kyle of Acoustic Visions,
Brian of Link Removed or the new wonder kid on the block, Darren of Thomas Woodcraft.

These companies not only can build you a sub that performs wonderfully in small rooms but they also have subs that can fill up the largest rooms and with your choice of custom finish that you feel best matches your room and at the same time save you dollars. Go on over to the DIY section and see what is poppin over there.

If not, you can't go wrong with any of the below companies when looking for musical or HT bass:

Paradigm, HSU, SVS and Adire Audio.

** By the way, how much are you looking to spend or did I miss that in your thread

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You oculd always make your own sub that would beat most other subs out there under $1000 and tune it to 15Hz with no problem. See the DIY/Advanced area for info on that.

Many movies hit well under 20Hz including Titan AE, Fellowship Of The Ring, Toy Story 2, The Haunthing etc.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Thanks guys

I may try the diy thing . Seeing as I just about to spend $3000 on a new 65" rptv.

I really didn't want to spend too much money.

How much diffence would be there if it only went down to 30H. After all I would only be missing 10hz.

Thanks again
Signed
Ed O'Neill

Ryan T

Second Unit
How much diffence would be there if it only went down to 30H. After all I would only be missing 10hz.
I'm not really a bass expert but from what i know (someone correct me if i'm wrong). if the sub is ported(which I assume it is) It will unload below the tuning frequency. Which means It will reach it's max excursion very easily and will bottom out which could permanently damage it. If it is tuned to 30 Hz I would think the manufacture added a rumble filter (cuts every thing below the tuning frequency out) to the sub. Basically you want a sub to go at least to 20 Hz with some amount of power. That way you'll get the full impact of explosions and you'll have better headroom around 30 Hz. I hope this helps.

Ryan

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, 10 hz from 20 to 30 is quite significant. That's half an octave that you'd be missing, and if it's struggling to reach down to 30 hz, that's not a good thing.

I couldn't find any info on the 15 in cube, but given the two I'd get that, but you'd probably be getting pricey to the point that you could get an SVS, and if you want to cut costs still, Paradigm makes some good and reasonably priced subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks