What size Screen??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Gerald LaFrance, May 10, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi I am in the process of Building my HT, I would like to make a 100" screen with "screen goo", but I noticed yesterday when I was playing the extras on The Matrix Reloaded it swithced between widescreen and Full screen size??

If I make the screen 100" and I am viewing the Extras would the Full screen be OFF the screen??

Is there some adjustmemts I would have to make on the projector to compansate for the Full screen widesxcrren switching?? I would like to use the FULL "100" for the DVD movies and HDTV??

I will mainly be using the HT for Movies "DVD" and some HDTV.
    [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

The extras in 4:3 are a fairly consistant gripe on here. I think you just have to deal with it as it stands right now.

3. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I believe when it switches to full screen(4:3) the sides get black bars if your PJ and DVD player are in 16:9 aspect ratio, which they should be. The true HD material will be 16:9. When I watch HD, most of the commercials are not 16:9 and the bars appear on the sides.

4. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Gerald,

Fullscreen is "smaller" than widescreen. Like said above, black bars should be on the sides of screen when in fullscreen.

David

5. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Oh OK sorry to Gripe but I just wasnt sure THNX ALL!!! :b

6. John S

John S Producer

Well it is good gripe, on an anamophic / enhanced for widescreen displays DVD, the dang extras should be in widescreen as well in my opionion anyways.

7. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    YES I thought the same thing Im paying for the Widescreen edition it should be in widescreen sheesh [​IMG]

Seriously I doubt there is much we could do it is a shame they did this ???

I have never watched any extras part of the DVD and when I noticed what was happening all I could thinkof that this is really gonna mess up my screen size
    [​IMG]

Do ALL DVD Extras do this??

8. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Hey Gerald, which projector are you going to use?

9. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    I am currently leaning towards the Sanyo PLV-Z2 but still not sure. do you have a suggestion or are you looking as well, I am basically deciding on a projector on my needs and so far the PLV-Z2 is looking real good, plus it just dropped $200 since the Z3 came out.

I did have an interesting visit to the Overture HT store in Delaware and I saw a $40,000 projector in action very nice but WELL out of the Budget !! I didnt see them side by side but I was at Theater Xtreme a week earlier and they had a DLP projector $1,400 on both they had it on HDTV, I really didnt notice too much of a difference?? I did see them both in HDTV and DVD just cant see paying more for NOT much more.

I had seen screenshots where the color on the face was more lifelike on the more expensive projector but I figure with a few fine adjustments it will look just fine. It will be definetely better than my VERY OLD Sony TV lol :b

10. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I'm using the Infocus 4805 which is DLP. It's cheap at Costco. I paid 1000.00 with a coupon. It has a great picture and has cult status over at avsforum.com.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68

I have a 100" screen and sit back about 16 feet. Works for me.

Good luck on what you decide.