What's new

WHAT SIZE COAX CABLE IS BEST FOR HDTV? (1 Viewer)

jason123

Agent
I am wiring my basement now and I just wanted to make sure I am putting large enough cable for HDTV, 1080P etc...I bought some RG6 at home depot..is that the right size?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I believe RG6 is the proper choice but it's been a while since I wired my house and my memory ain't what it used to be :eek: . But RG6 sounds right.

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, RG6 is the preferred size, it has more shielding than RG59. I am running cable so I am not sure but I think to do direct tv correctly, you must run two cables to each location. Someone chime in here but I think two to each is the way to go.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, you need 1 cable per tuner and the DVRs have two tuners. But there is a new technology that allows you to run both tuners with a single cable. The Single Wire Multi-Switch is not a standard piece of equipment but it does allow people who can't run an additional cable to be able to fully utilize the DVR.

If you want OTA, you will need to run an additional cable. You can't diplex OTA with the new HD channels.

-Robert

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
OTA is "over the air" (as in roof top antenna) and diplexing is using a single cable to input two signal sources. You can't combine an OTA and HD satellite signals into one cable connected to the back of a satellite receiver. You need to use a separate cable for each. This may be true but I had to use a 75 foot cable so I went a little "over-kill". When it comes to running cables thru walls, under houses and up thru the floor I use the best I can get because I only want to do it once.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Just wanted to chime in briefly here...
While I have spent time in a cable company, which might bias my opinion, I would use RG-6 for everything. The cost difference is not dramatic between the two, and I feel that RG-6 will better protect your cabling investment as well as be slightly more resistant to loss due to the larger center conductor.

On a side note, the one recommendation I absolutely will note is that if you are doing your own connectors, either go buy or bribe your cable guy for a decent set of compression crimpers and cable prep strippers instead of mechanical crimp connectors. Compression fittings are going to be a more reliable connection. Not sure if they make these for RG59 though. Dont nick your center conductor (stinger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks