What's new

What show/documentary/special was this? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of a show that followed several people from birth to like age 20 or something. I can't remember what it was called though. I think it was an import from BBC. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just crazy?

Jodee

Screenwriter
It sounds like Michael Apted's excellent documentaries that follows the same group of English schoolchildren every 7 years.
The most recent one was called 42 Up(1998). There also was 35 Up(1991), 28 Up(1985), 21 Up(1977), and Seven Plus Seven(1970).
I wish these would come out on DVD. They were fascinating, how these young idealistic kids become rather bittered middle age people.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Just found out that at least 42 Up is available on DVD. Yippee! Off to add it to my Netflix queue.
Thanks for reminding me about this movie, Adam!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No problem. That's not what I was thinking of; but looking at Roger Ebert's reviews of the project, I must say I'm intruiged. Thanks for pointing it out. If anyone knows of something similiar (Though it had, as I recall, much shorter intervals, with general information about human development mixed in between the interviews.)

Anyway, thanks Jodee for pointing this other documentary series out to me!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I wish these would come out on DVD. They were fascinating, how these young idealistic kids become rather bittered middle age people.
You would be too if you'd become "famous" without any say in the matter, and your life was invaded by camera crews every 7 years. I do love this series (I've been following it since 28 Up), but I really can't blame those people who've decided to drop out over the years.
Sorry Adam, can't help you on the one you're thinking of.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Well, I think that change is natural regardless of being a documentary subject or not.

I have noticed in my own life, how with every disappointment, I have become more jaded and cynical through the years. I think back to when I was a child and how idealistic, trusting, and wide-eyed I was.

I think life hardens you and does make you bitter through the years.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't an American equivalent of this series started a few years ago?

I agree that the series provides a fascinating insight into the ageing process, but don't assume that the people on this programme are necessarily typical Brits. They are representative of sub-groups of the 'upper' and 'working' classes, but as usual the majority of working and middle class folk are left out of the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks