What's new

What should I be seeing? (1 Viewer)

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
If I watch a 2:35:1 "enhanced for widescreen" DVD on a widescreen tv, should I see the black bars at the top and bottom without using a "stretch mode" on my tv?

Tosh 65hx83 with pioneer dv-563a-s. DVD set to progressive. TV set to "film" with 540p or 1080i, whichever looks better for the dvd.

Sorry if this is an old question but i have looked at the archives and have not found a direct answer.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

James

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Any source with an aspect ratio wider than 1.78:1 (16 by 9) will have "black bars" of unused screen above, and below the picture.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
James,

Enhanced for widescreen means that they used all 480 horizontal lines (i.s.o. only 360) to digitize a 16x9 picture, resulting in a better vertical resolution.
The DVD solves the problem of presenting the proper picture to a 16x9 TV or a 4x9 TV (you have to set the intended TV type).

Please read our primer if you want to find out the meaning of all sorts of "new" DVD terminology!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks