What's new

What percentage of list price should I pay? (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Someone said I should pay 15% less than the list price. But I've seen other people get more off or even less. I'd like to go into the retailer and say, "This is what I'll give you" and not have to guess what a good price is for him.

Any buying tips?

Oh, and does anyone know list on the Deftech 2006's, with the 2300 center and bpx2 rears?

Alex

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Also depends on what you are buying, and if it's one of those high end snob shops, or a generic retailer like the Good Guys, Circuit City, etc.

As a rule, I will not buy a piece of gear unless I can get at least 10% off.

I have found that the *average* discount I've been able to get, is about 20%. But if you build a little rapport with the salesperson, and if it's an older piece of equipment (but still current model, just been out a while), I've been able to get up to 40% off.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! 40%!
I don't thing what I want is old. I'm looked at the DefTech BP2006 setup or the Klipsch RF35 setup.

I'm buying from a small stereo shop. You think they'll laugh at me if I ask for 30% off??

Thanks,

dean_g

Agent
"You think they'll laugh at me if I ask for 30% off?"

I know I would. You get what you pay for.

Don't you think it's worth paying for the time and effort spent with you making sure you are buying the thing you are going to be happiest with. Yeesh, salesman need to eat too.

If I can get them to eat the tax I'm happy, and know when I come back to do business again I'll get first rate treatment. Low ballers get no respect, and crappy service after the sale. You're just not paying for the product. Don't forget, most of these guys work on commission -- and you're cutting into their paycheck.

If you are doing the Circuit City or Best Buy thing -- I think 15% is appropriate.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I'm asking is because the speakers I want are out of my price range. I won't be able to buy them unless they are discounted. If I had the money, it wouldn't be much an issue.

dean_g

Agent
Think in stages. Pick up the 2006's now, and hold off on the surrounds until you have the money.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Dean,

What are you looking to upgrade from? There are good speakers in a wide price range. People here might have some suggestions that will make you happy.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
15% off for Def Tech in a store is pretty good. I've gotten up to 20% off of their stuff, but from an unauthorized dealer.

Personally though, I don't believe in buying speakers with subs in them. The constructive/destructive interference between the two really messes with the sound you can get in your room. I much prefer "traditional" mains with a separate, moveable, sub. I had BP-20's and BP-30's for years, and really liked them alot.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, but I love the center channel. I haven't found one like it anywhere. I'm also looking at Klipsch. I'm going to re-audition RF-35 this weekend.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I think about it, the only real reason I like the DefTech's so much is because of the center. I like it more subdued without a lot of highs. I haven't been able to find one like it anywhere. However, I'm still auditioning. I'll be going out tomorrow to look at some more stuff.

If you know of any other centers I should listen to let me know. Perhaps, I'll need to spend a little extra to get a better center with whatever system I get.

Thanks,

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

Did the 2000 have the sub built into the center speaker like with the 2300? That rules!

Ever heard any others like it?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I think discounts depend several factors like (but not limited to):

1- Brand (some have higher markups and therefore dealer can afford to discount more)

2- Dealer and location (Dealers have varying overheads and so their profit margins vary)

3- Your ability to sound convincing. In other words, to convey to the salesperson that if you get a good deal you will buy the item from them.

4- Manufacturer's policies. (Some frown on discounts or on discounts exceeding a certain amount) B&W comes to mind.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had a dealer once at the Good Guys give me 20% off once on a set of Energies. I knew what I wanted when I walked in the store, didn't make him hook them up, didn't waste his time by listening to 30 min of CDs and DVDs, etc. He told me after we closed the deal, that he wouldn't normally give that much off, but because I didn't waste his time, bingo. FWIW. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks