What's new

What or what wires? (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Before year 2003 ends, I will have a 5.1 Paradigm speakers setup and a Yamaha RXV1400. I am seeking your advice on what speaker wires I should use for this equipment. And also, I will be putting my HT in the basement. Another one, how do we prevent electrical interference so that speaker will provide crystal clear sound? Please also recommend a website that sells good quality/reliable speaker wires. Thanks in advance.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the setup, which line of Paradigms are you thinking of? You can reduce interference by by keeping all signal and speaker wires away from power wires. If they have to cross, do it at a 90 degree angle, dont run them parallel. www.partsexpress.com sells speaker wires and probably so do some of this sites sponsors.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Btw, will it help if we wrap the speaker wires with a aluminum reynolds wrap to prevent electrical interference? Another one, I am also looking for wall plates for my speakers. Any ideas about online stores?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
No, dont bother trying to shield the speaker wires. They carry watts of power and are fairly immune to RFI.

Your interconnects - different story. But these "RCA cables" are made with coax (yes, similar to your CATV coax), and shield the center conductor quite well.

Wall Outlets: my advice is to pull enough wire to create a un-broken connection between your receiver and speakers. Run them through plastic electrical outlet box's. Buy blank wall-plates and drill your own holes to make them look good. Later, you can cut the wires off near the outlet box's and install wall-plates with binding posts. Radio Shack has some, Good Guys carry a higher-priced line from Niles, and www.markertech.com can make them for you.

Make sure to pull 3 runs of speaker wire to the rears (one for that rear-center speaker). You can also run ordinary CATV coax to a location for the self-powered subwoofer.

We also have a dedicated HT Construction and interiors fourm that you should spend some time browsing through. It has a lot of good information that would be useful to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks