What's new

What New Series Are You Anticipating? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Good Place previews make me think it will be a funny show. I read someplace there's going to be 3 time-travel series this season, but don't quote me on that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
RIght now I do plan to check out The Good Place. I've also plans to check out Bull and the reboot of MacGyver. None of the time travel shows have peaked my interest though advanced reviews may make me change my mind. Since several old reliables have been moved to new timeslots this coming season and others have either been canceled by the networks or dropped by me, my TV schedule in the fall is going to be quite a bit different.

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
None! I will not watch any new series! I only watch the old holiday specials when they come out October to New Year's. Other than that, I only watch older shows on DVD or on Youtube or the classic TV subchannels,

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nothing just screams "Watch Me!" just yet; I really need to see more promos. So far, about the only ones that have caught my attention are:

Timeless (NBC) - time travel always tends to suck me right in.
Falling Water (USA) - looks trippy enough to hold my interest.
Training Day (CBS) - mostly because of Bill Paxton.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I will definitely check out "The Good Place", because of the pedigree involved.

My most anticipated show is "Designated Survivor" in which Kiefer Sutherland plays a Housing and Urban Development Secretary who is suddenly thrust into the presidency when a devastating attack on the Capitol during the State of the Union kills the president, vice president, most of Congress and the rest of the cabinet.

I'll also check out "Conviction" because I'm a fan of Hayley Atwell ("Agent Carter") and Emily Kinney ("The Walking Dead").

On the comedy side, "Speechless" on ABC looks kind of interesting.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Nothing just screams "Watch Me!" just yet; I really need to see more promos. So far, about the only ones that have caught my attention are:

Timeless (NBC) - time travel always tends to suck me right in.
Falling Water (USA) - looks trippy enough to hold my interest.
Training Day (CBS) - mostly because of Bill Paxton.

- Walter.
What is Falling Water about? I don't think I've seen any previews for it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Based upon what little I've seen, the concept of Falling Water is that three unrelated individuals are sharing portions of a common dream that involves quest / searching elements. I expect a lot of symbolism in the dreams, probably some 'fake out' / was that real scenes, and maybe some rumination on the nature of reality. It sounds like (or at least I hope) it will be abstract enough to stand out from most of the usual fare that one finds with broadcast / cable television series. We'll see, but I'm going to give it a look.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps surprisingly, nothing is catching my eye for the fall season, although I am cautiously optimistic for the new Star Trek show that won't actually be on TV.

I may be in a small minority, but I would much rather have six new Agent Carter episodes than a full season of the new Hayley Atwell show, and I would much rather have twelve new episodes of 24 than a full season of the new Kiefer Sutherland show.

I feel like I've been burned too many times in the last 5-10 years by shows I liked being canceled prematurely to be able to summon enthusiasm for this current season. I wish I felt differently - it's disappointing not to have things to look forward to each week - but I haven't heard of anything new that's interested me half as much as things that are no longer being made.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
RIght now I do plan to check out The Good Place. I've also plans to check out Bull and the reboot of MacGyver. None of the time travel shows have peaked my interest though advanced reviews may make me change my mind. Since several old reliables have been moved to new timeslots this coming season and others have either been canceled by the networks or dropped by me, my TV schedule in the fall is going to be quite a bit different.

I'm with you. Bull and MacGyver look really good. Hopefully not just well done teasers that will trick us, looking forward to both of them. Of course with "Hollywood" you never know, could be complete duds, but you can normally tell within the first few episodes if it's a keeper.

With Dish, can only record two shows at one time unless I upgrade to the Hopper, but the only possible conflict for me is Friday with MacGyver, Last Man Standing and Hell's Kitchen. Getting pretty burned out with Gordon Ramsay, so that problem solves itself.

Was looking forward to Lethal Weapon on Wednesdays, but I like Survivor and The Goldbergs, so it loses.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Right now I'm blanking on the name of the show, but I've seen previews which features a female con-artist and a male (apparently) assassin. Looks interesting.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Still sticking with my earlier choices of Bull and MacGyver. With my DVR, I'm a notorious commercial zapper, so don't know a lot about what's coming up, but those two have caught my eye.

Anything else, I rely on this forum to point me in the right direction.

We're all TV snobs ;), so if a forum member recommends it, it's normally a pretty good choice.

I know that wasn't terribly helpful, but I'm relying on you guys to help me avoid the duds :)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
NBC's Timeless looks interesting, but I feel interest will wane as the series progresses. Lately it seems many adventure/action shows start off firing on all eight cylinders, then they lose steam. Perfect example is Scorpion on CBS, A great show at first, it now seems to have lost momentum.
As for MacGyver it wont make it through the first season...remakes notoriously fail as they are compared to the original. The Odd Couple on CBS for example, is barely hanging on into season 2...don't know how it made it that far.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
NBC's Timeless looks interesting, but I feel interest will wane as the series progresses. Lately it seems many adventure/action shows start off firing on all eight cylinders, then they lose steam. Perfect example is Scorpion on CBS, A great show at first, it now seems to have lost momentum.
As for MacGyver it wont make it through the first season...remakes notoriously fail as they are compared to the original. The Odd Couple on CBS for example, is barely hanging on into season 2...don't know how it made it that far.

So true. I'm dropping Scorpion this season. Can't quite explain it, but there is just something missing. It's gone downhill and the stories are really getting ridiculous. You can only push fiction so far and then you start to lose credibility. But I am going to stick with The Odd Couple, I enjoy it, just a silly comedy, but doubtful we'll see a third season.

Haven't seen anything regarding Timeless, but the description does sound interesting, so I'll give it a try.

I'm hoping MacGyver succeeds, guess we wait and see. With George Eads, that should help. Never realized it until recently but he's almost 50. Looking pretty good for five decades.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Perhaps surprisingly, nothing is catching my eye for the fall season, although I am cautiously optimistic for the new Star Trek show that won't actually be on TV.

---SNIP---

I feel like I've been burned too many times in the last 5-10 years by shows I liked being canceled prematurely to be able to summon enthusiasm for this current season. I wish I felt differently - it's disappointing not to have things to look forward to each week - but I haven't heard of anything new that's interested me half as much as things that are no longer being made.

I am not looking forward to anything this season. The last two shows I really, really liked were Limitless (one season) and Intelligence (1/2 season). Before those, I really liked Human Target (2 seasons). If I really like a show it seems to be the kiss of death. My wife will watch some, no doubt, and I will probably halfway watch them while reading or surfing on my iPad in the background. I have "watched" many episodes of shows my wife is watching while I'm doing something else.

I am surprised at the MacGyver reboot considering the fact that Scorpion is basically MacGyver with a larger team. Oh well, I still have tons of movies and old shows to catch up on. I'll probably watch more old stuff while pedaling on my recumbent bike while my wife watches new stuff and yet another season of NCIS.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I am not looking forward to anything this season. The last two shows I really, really liked were Limitless (one season) and Intelligence (1/2 season). Before those, I really liked Human Target (2 seasons). If I really like a show it seems to be the kiss of death. My wife will watch some, no doubt, and I will probably halfway watch them while reading or surfing on my iPad in the background. I have "watched" many episodes of shows my wife is watching while I'm doing something else.

I am surprised at the MacGyver reboot considering the fact that Scorpion is basically MacGyver with a larger team. Oh well, I still have tons of movies and old shows to catch up on. I'll probably watch more old stuff while pedaling on my recumbent bike while my wife watches new stuff and yet another season of NCIS.

I really enjoyed "Limitless". Very unfairly cancelled, should have been given more of a chance. Had just that light touch of comedy to it, nicely done.

I agree that "MacGyver" does sound like it will be similar to "Scorpion". I just feel the "Scorpion" stories are way beyond reality, plus I never cared for the guy who plays Walter, he kind of ruins the whole series for me.

Similar to you I also "watch" many shows the same way you do. If I really like it, I'll put everything down and concentrate on the show, but a lot of stuff kind of plays in the background :cool:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nothing new is on my radar, but that could change. My DVR is getting less and less use as more shows I'm interested in are on not on the broadcast networks.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Usually there aren't that many shows in the fall that pique my interest, but I'm actually hugely looking forward to both The Good Place (Mike Schur, Kristen Bell & Danson -- hells yeah), and Donald Glover's Atlanta on FX (the early reviews have been near-ecstatic). Also, will give Kiefer's new show a few episodes to see if the storyline and mythology hold together or not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I may stockpile some episodes of Kiefer's new show and if it gets good reviews and sticks around, I may check it out later. I feel like I've been burned a lot lately with stuff I've liked not making it out of the first season, which had a way of dampening my enthusiasm.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Falling Water (Interesting premise)
Designated Survivor (Kiefer!!!!!)
Timeless
This is Us
Chicago Justice
Still Star-Crossed (Curious what they do with this.)
Notorious (Piper Perabo is back!)

Maybe try a few more. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks