What's new

What new reciever should I get? (1 Viewer)

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
There are three different recievers I am debating between to get. I'm not very sure how fair this comparison is but here goes. I have a chance to get a Sony STR-DA2ES for a good price so I'm considering that. Then two other models I am considering are the Sony STR-DA1000ES and the Harman Kardon AVR-230. Any clear winners that anyone can suggest between those recievers? Cosmetics doesn't matter to me but I do want to replace my aging Dolby Digital only Pioneer VSX-05. Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
In the short time I have been here I would guess a lot of people would probably favor the SQ of HK. However, I have heard about the ES line of Sony being pretty good too though. I'm assuming you already know to check the reviews on audioreview.com) but I will throw it out there just in case.

Whatever you do, I'd check out ecost.com) b/c they got some great deals right now. They have a few HK's and I think some Sony's too. And no, I am not affiliated with them.

Good luck!

Dean_S

Second Unit
I've met a Sony receiver that I liked and I've never heard an HK that I didn't like. I have a Sony ES preamp and it's has excellent sound but it's a piece of garbage. I've never liked the sound of the Sony recvs so I'm guessing it's their amps and not the pre-amp sections that are crappy. My Sony needs repairs about every 18 months and has a horrible remote (beyond horrible really). This preamp replaced an old 2-ch HK 795i recv that finally died after about 15 years of loyal service. My father has a HK 695i running 8 pairs of speakers thru impedance matching volume controls and it's 20 years old and still going strong.

I'm getting an HK AVR7300 soon, it's will replace the Sony pre-amp and the power amp I'm using. The main reason is the Sony is acting up again and I'm just plain tired of the remote.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm very very happy with my Sony STRDA2000ES and have had no problems. I am a huge Yamaha fan though and I'd say go for those. But I've never owned a HK although I wanted to but heard they have too many problems with bugs and what not so I opted not to.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
After looking around I am also intrigued by the Denon AVR-1804 and the AVR-2805. Any input on these models versus what I'm looking at before. The price range is way different though hehe.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big Denon head. I love the sound of their amp sections.

The 2805 has sure got a ton of features on it.

I still use and intend to use a Denon 4802 for many moons to come by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks