What's new

What movies do you want on HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I'd love to have the old classics in HD, like The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. But the DVDs I have of these are exemplary, to say the least, so I can wait.

But the extreme widescreen, large-format movies of the late 50s and early 60s really demand presentation in HD: Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, etc. Also, any of the color later Hitchcocks like Vertigo and North by Northwest will be stunning in HD.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Star Wars has already been shown in HD. Cinemax HD aired all 6 movies in November and HBO HD is going to have them sometime in the 1st quarter of 2007. When we will see them on disc, however, is a completely different story.

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder

Absolutely, also indiana jones (All 3). I'd really like disney to start releasing some animated, I'm a huge fan of animated movie's, especially disney.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
A few miscellaneous choices:

Sin City
Ronin
2001 A Space Odyssey
Bullitt
The Pink Panther
The Hidden Fortress
The Edge

And Highlander could be great, if done well enough.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
Universal needs to release Shaun of the Dead on HD-DVD, and the Jurassic Park movies. It'd be a nice box set.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining in 1:78:1 are my main wants after seeing them on HDNet Movies a few months ago.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I really doubt I will be a "replacer of SD-DVD" with the exception of a few titles or if any given HD-DVD release movie has Dolby TrueHD. But here are my few that I would re-buy.

My normal wish list
Jaws
LOTR
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan.

My "I'm dying to have on HD-DVD" list
The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc
Shrek and Shrek 2

I've seen both Shreks and Finding Nemo in broadcast HD and was simply blown away. Shrek was an HD experience I can't even describe. The level of detail it had showed me a completely different level of animation that SD-DVD simply does not show.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Aside from most of those mentioned above, having just watched Phantom of the Opera, I'm longing to see more spectacular musicals - in particular Moulin Rouge. Too bad they are so few and far between.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
1. LotR EE
2. Pride and Prejudice (1995) Hey, I'm a girlie girl!
3. Jurassic Park
4. Far From the Madding Crowd . oh wait, it's not even released in SD yet!
5. Titanic (Clifton Webb version, only)
6. Barry Lyndon
7. Amadeus
8. Fanny and Alexander. (Although I rewatched this a few days ago in SD and was amazed to see how much costume detail etc. was visible even on this Criterion SD. Excellent DVD transfer. But it is one of my favorite movies, so I'd have to double dip to see it looking the absolute best it could.)
9. Tess (yes, I'm a Thomas Hardy fan)
10. Ryan's Daughter. (see #8 note also applies here.)

Ali B

Second Unit
Once Upon a Time in the West (~171 minute extended cut) is my one must have title from Paramount. And while it's already been announced by Studio Canal, Le Circle Rouge is a pretty big hit for me.

Mike.P

Second Unit
1. Blade Runner
2. The Fountain
3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
4. The Matrix
5. Collateral
6. Gladiator
7. Band of Brothers

And just films I want in HD, but probably won't come on the format I want...

1. Gattaca
2. Alien and Aliens
3. Star Wars Original Trilogy
4. Any Disney or Pixar animated film

I think thats everything I can think of off the top of my head.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am going to assume that since Alien Vs Preditor is coming out on Blu-ray only that the other Alien movies will be on Bluray as well. And they will most likely include DTS-HD tracks as well just like AvsP.

I have enjoyed my HD-DVD player and have had no problems with it since I updated the firmware. However I am disapointed in the lack of titles past the middle of this month. While there seems to be a lack of titles for HD-DVD at the same time there seems to be alot of titles for Bluray. If HD-DVD can not get a good number of titles after the 16th of January I see alot more people going Blu instead of HD-DVD. One way or another I just want to see an end to this format war no matter what way it ends up going. But I would like to see some top notch titles announced soon or there will be no reason to keep supporting HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks