What's new

What makes Dolly Parton think she has the right to record "Stairway to Heaven?!?" (1 Viewer)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
:|
I don't know what to say or think about this recording. Dolly Parton singing "the forests will echo with laughter."
I don't know whether to cry, scream, mourn, or simply sit here and stare into space.
I think I'll stare into space.
:confused:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
There was an interview with Dolly a few weeks ago on NPR one morning - I think with Bob Edwards. They discussed her new album and they did talk about her version of "Stairway to Heaven".

She said that she changed a couple of words, and in doing so, she had to get permission from the original songwriters themselves - Page and Plant.

She apparently hadn't heard from them in several months and she worried that they wouldn't let her do it.

Then Robert Plant called and said they'd been out of the country and just got back. He read over what her changes were and said it was fine with him. Her version has a choir as part of the song and is a little more spiritual sounding. Plant told her that he always envisioned a choir singing in the song but of course their arrangement didn't allow for it.

They played a portion of it. Although Parton is not my cup of tea, she did a decent rendition. It's also very different sounding.

Apparently Robert Plant thinks she has the right.

Joel

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Some songs should just never be covered. So Britney's done (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Dolly Parton's doing Stairway to Heaven. What's next, Christina Aguilera doing Dark Side of the Moon?

greg_t

Screenwriter
I heard half of it on Howard Stern a few weeks back. It wasn't as bad as you might think.

Well, radio played "Stairway to Heaven" to death when it first came out and hasn't stopped since, so I can only wonder why anyone would want to cover it nowadays.
Still, Dolly Parton is an excellent singer (and songwriter) that has more than paid her dues, so she can cover any song if she wants to, IMHO. Her recent bluegrass albums are wonderful and I heartily recommend them to anyone who merely associates her with "9 to 5" or duets with Kenny Rogers.
I must admit, however, to being upset about other Zeppelin recordings being defiled. I still haven't forgiven Jimmy Page for participating of his own free will with Sean "whatever-his-name-is-this-week" Combs and screwing around with "Kashmir"...

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Some songs should just never be covered. So Britney's done (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Dolly Parton's doing Stairway to Heaven. What's next, Christina Aguilera doing Dark Side of the Moon?
I actually have a bit more respect for Ms. Parton than the likes of Britney or Christina

Joel

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
yeah I have heard at least some of it and it was like 'this is interesting, wait isn't that...?' It is quite decent, so don't get worried before hearing it.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
With all due respect, Robert Plant has a horrible voice. I feel this ruined Stairway To Heaven. I have no problem with someone else giving it a try. Ms. Parton is very talented, but most don't realize it.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Perhaps I overstated. I just feel like covering an old song is like remaking an old movie. Sure, sometimes things are way better the second time through, but a lot of times it just screws things up. I agree Dolly Parton has a great voice, but still, Stairway is one of the immortal songs of classic rock. Britney's cover of Satisfaction is an affront to the human race and should be forgotten as rapidly as possible.
And yes, I also consider the defilement of Kashmir to be awful. Maybe it was the 20th Anniversary Edition :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A song isn't a holy relic. So what if people cover them? It's not like it erases the original off the face of the planet- they're still there, availalbe to hear for anyone that wants to. As long as the song writers are credited, anyone can sing whatever the hell they want.

Besides, Parton's version can't be worse than Pat Boone's.

NP: Miles Davis, Complete Live at Montreux, disc 5

Clint B

Second Unit
I think that Plant's voice is pretty horrible now , but back in the day it was one of the best. Not many people could scream like he did!
And even though I love Dolly Parton, I don't really like what I've heard of her version of Stairway. But as long as Page/Plant gave her permission, she has every right to cover it.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Dolly Parton's got nothing on Pat Boone. Remember this??

As only Pat Boone could get away with, covers of...
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Smoke on the Water
It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll)
Panama
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Love Hurts
Enter Sandman
Holy Diver
Paradise City
Wind Cries Mary
Crazy Train
Stairway to Heaven

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I take it none of you own the great Stairways To Heaven album then, complete with the legendary Rolf Harris covering the song?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Eh... this album has been out for a few months now. The version of "Stairway to Heaven" is REALLY good (the rest of the album too, like the single "Dagger through the heart"), and I'm a huge fan of the original. Listen to it before you criticize it.

/Mike

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Maybe, for an artist of her stature, "Misty Mountains Hop" would have been more appropriate.
. . .
:b
(I can hear the collective groan. . . NOW!)
(I'm sorry--but eighteen replies without any mention of her absurdly-large breasts is just wrong. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks