What's new

What kind of subwoofer cable is this? (1 Viewer)

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Kenwood receiver/dvd combo unit that was sold with a Boston speaker package (I think the whole shebang was called "Unity").

Well, the receiver is not working, and I hooked up another receiver to the speakers and a different dvd player. Here's the weird part: the subwoofer cable does not have the normal RCA connectors that I am used to. Instead, it has connectors that are shaped like s-video connectors, but have 3 prongs instead of 4. Has anyone seen these? I searched on Radio Shack and Parts Express, and I can't find anything like it.

Can I splice a regular RCA connector to the cable? I'm afraid to cut the end off, since I don't know of I can replace the cable.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think they called that thing a DIN Plug....

If the sub is a powered sub, Take a line level signal / RCA and use some clips to determine the input(s) for it.

You know clip ground to the outter most ground, then hit the pins one by until you know. You should be able to make an adapter. Just know it's called a DIN plug. RS used to carry them as connecters, not sure if they still have them or not.

Then again, saying I think it is a DIN Plug is a total leap of faith on my part. Could be something else. But i have encountered a fair amount of DIN plugs these days on older gen HT package sub / HTIB subs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I doubt it’s a DIN plug – I’ve never seen one with only three pins. It’s probably a proprietary connection – not uncommon with HTIB’s. As John indicated, it will take some rigging to get the sub to work with other equipment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks