What's new

What Kind Of Fish Do You Keep? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Well, I caught a lot of Northerns this weekend. I usually only keep them if they're over 24 inches or so. The rest I throw back.

Oh... wait..

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Clinton, I've heard that you can keep about 32 small to average sized fish in a tank that size. I've also heard that it's one inch of fish for every gallon. Going by that, and considering the tetras are about half an inch each, I think the numbers add up.;)

StephenA

Screenwriter
The one inch rule is only a general rule for fish that stay small, and a lot think it's outdated. The one inch rule may work for tetras or danios, but it definitely won't work for cichlids, larger catfish, piranha, goldfish or any other medium to large fish that people keep.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its also assumes all fish pollute at the same level which obviously isn't the case...try comparing a large pleco or goldfish to a similar sized Angel etc...the first two are poop machines compared to the Angels;) It also doesn't account for plants or other structures you have in the tank or really even the shape (surface area to volume ratio)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
3 REALLY big feeder goldfish (no kidding... if you can keep them alive THEY GROW!!!)

Does anybody else have a problem with the word "fishes"? I learned the plural of fish is FISH.

One fish, two fish, three fish, hey look at that school of fish....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks