What's new

What kind of amps are people using for 2 Channel? (1 Viewer)

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Karl and others,

Hmmm, serious power you say. Well, I suppose. Let's see, my main left and right speakers currently are using a 4-ch amp, but I have channels bridging thereby making it a 2-channel amp. In the bridged mode the power out is only 500W at 8 ohms. Oh, but wait, my speakers are 4 ohms, so the potential power now is only 900W. And I have on one occasion seen the clip indicator light up, only for an instant though.
My center speaker use's a 2-ch. amp, bridged as well. The speaker is also has a 4 ohm load, so the amp can put out 1200W. I've never seen the clip indicator come on and don't care to either.
My sub amp I run in parallel mode (same as stereo) to power my two subs. The subs are 4 ohms, and the amp can do 700W each channel, never clipped the amp.
Surrounds are pretty modest, only 150W ea speaker.
So, serious power, maybe, maybe not. :D
But the important thing, it sounds very fine indeed. As good or better than anything else out there. Clean, accurate, and powerful if need be.
Using separates are great too. When listening to 2 ch. stereo, I only need to turn on the amp for main left and right. Audio nirvana. And just think, I will be adding two more 2-ch. amps later this year--will be bi-amping my main left and right speakers.

Eric A

Second Unit
I'm jumping in late here but I am using a Parasound HCA-2003A for my fronts and 2-channel. I want to add a Parasound HCA-2200II for the fronts and move the 2003 to center rear duties so if anyone knows someone wanting to sell let me know. I just sold some Bryston amps and I really loved them. I had a 3B-ST and a 9B-THX. They were some of the best amps I have owned but when I really considered all the money I had in them I had to sell them. I got so very close to the Brystons and even bettered them in some areas with the bigger Parasounds for so much less money I had to switch and put the money in other areas of my system. This was totally a financial move for me and in no way am I bashing Bryston as I would definitely rather had kept them if I had a couple more thousand dollars to blow.;)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
John, now you're talking some serious pro audio style sound system with the biamping, what a setup! Your system will definitely rock!Ashly and Rane make some nice eq and crossover seperates I beleive.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Karl,

As for x'over and EQ, I do not have any as of yet, but plan on adding soon. I will use a couple of the QSC DSP-4's (2in 2out) or possibly the new QSC Basis unit. The DSP-4 is pretty sweet and will attach to the rear of my QSC amps, sight unseen--once the system is calibrated, the units will invisible but make the audio sound sweet as can be.
Next up, make the cables for the bi-amping, but probably will not happen until I return from the Home Entertainment Show taking place end of this week.

JohnG

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you have a great QSC setup John. I'd love to see a HT magazine do a 2 channel power amp shootout comparison on some pro audio 2 channel amps(like crown,qsc,crest audio,EV,etc..) and some of the ones like outlaw,b&k,bryston,rotel,mccormick I beleive someone mentioned etc...that alot of the guys in the forum use.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Thanks for the kind words Karl. I believe I do have a great set-up.
I would take your idea of doing a shoot-out a step further. Do the shoot-out so all amps challenge all amps: pro against pro, pro against consumer, consumer against consumer. I would gladly put my QSC amps against any other amp, pro or consumer, with the confidence they will be as good or better than anything they go against.
One thing about doing a true amp shoot-out, the outcome can be very humbling for some, not to mention disappointing to others. In either case, a real shoot-out is an eye, or rather ear, opener.
But what it all comes down to in the end, is that you enjoy and are happy with your system.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Crown DC 300A II its a beast and does what it was designed to do, play loud and clear :D

I would like to add two more Crowns to my collection but funds are tight

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Good idea John, a true HT 2 channel power amplifier shootout comparison to end all comparisons would surely open alot of eyes and we'd find out which amp not only can talk the talk, but walk the walk! We'll probably never see it though, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks