What's new

What is your favorite "level" in a video game... (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Zelda: A Link To the Past (SNES). I loved every single second of it, especially the very beginning... the darkness, the rain, the look...

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe not the "best" per se, but some levels that stick in my head:

"Jedi Knight": "Falling Ship." Although the "Nar Shaddaa" levels rank up there, too, for capturing the spirit of "Star Wars" and sheer sense of vertigo.

"Dark Forces": That first level. I just remember thinking how cool it was to be IN the Star Wars universe like that. When I walked into the room and saw the hologram of the Death Star, I grinned from ear-to-ear. Also loved the prison-break level.

"Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" and "Medal of Honor: Frontline": D-Day. AA version is a little better, but both are outstanding. A shout-out also goes to the Christmas barrage level in AA's "Spearhead" expansion pack.

"Halo": It's a close race between the opening level, "The Flood" and "The Library." Although it was repetitive, the library was one of few levels in any game to make my palms sweat.

"Half-Life": "Surface Tension."

"Doom": "Tricks and Traps."

"Donkey Kong:" The opening level.

"Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire": The Hoth level. Sure, it's been done in many Star Wars games since -- and even better -- but it could never beat that first thrill of wrapping a tow-cable around a Walker, as I'd wanted to do ever since I was a kid.

"Marathon": All of it. Still waiting for Bungie to reveal exactly how the Marathon/Halo stories are connected, since I'm sure they are.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Just to be different, I'll nominate Rez Level 4, for that frankly stunning boss fight with the running man. It even beats the Mind Killer section for me. Elsewhere, there are also:

Super Monkey Ball - Expert 7. Never have I been so irritated with a level in a game. Never have I been so elated to complete one.

1080 - final level. Just a stunning atmosphere, and the number of different routes down the mountain is amazing after the limited one or two of the previous ones. Achieves so much with so few polys its bizarre.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Unreal Tournament(PC version, not the shit PS2 version)-Facing Worlds. one of the most ingeniously designed levels in any first person game. Just pure genius.

Halo-The flood. Great sense of fear throughout the level.

Zelda:OOT-Final Battle with Ganon. Damn it is awesome.

Actually, just about the entire game of all the Marios and Zeldas and Metroids are amazing.

Golden Eye-Temple...with grenade launchers. Mayhem at its best. Except proximity mines in the complex. Now that is lunacy!

Tony Hawk 3-The cruise ship. Just insane

Castlevania:SOTN-The boss fight with the pile of decaying corpses. You know what I mean.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Castlevania:SOTN-The boss fight with the pile of decaying corpses. You know what I mean.
Oooh good one!
On that note:
Castlevania SOTN: Boss Battle with Beelzebub (The huge corpse on a hook and allot of flies:))
Super Castlevania 4- The rotating tunnel. Still an awesome affect to see the SNES run.
Dracula X Rondo of Blood: Dracula's stairs approach and subsequent boss battle.
Oh I could name more:D.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Metal Gear Solid from start to finish,it was and still is my fav of all time. Halo-assault on the control room is pretty sweet! And MGS2- Raiden and Snake back to back,truly kickass moment!

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
This is a good thread. Whew! I have a ton of favorite levels. I might not be able to remember the exact names of the levels but my descriptions should be good enough for people who have played these games.

FinalFantasy2:The first time you get the airship

FinalFantasy3:The part where the city is filled with zombies

Zelda:TOOT: getting on the horse and riding it.

GTA:VC: The helicopter mission where you shoot the enemies from the helicopter while Lance flies it and then he drops you off to go inside and finish them off...epic.

Ace Combat 2: Chasing the missle at night time on one of the final stages.

Toshinden: The first time I saw the level up in the sky on the big platform

Resident Evil 2:When the nemesis/tyrant busts through the wall unexpectedly and continues to stalk you the whole game...I have never been scared by any game more than this. The tension was unbelievable.

Super Contra: the first time I flew on the missles

Metal Gear Solid 2-when the game tells you that you have been playing too long and you suck..I had been playing forever..and it freaked me out.

SSX:Mercury City...awesome

Strider: The snow level

Tomb Raider: I almost forgot this game, this is my favorite game of all time..seriously, it is just epic. There are so many awesome levels in this game that it is ridiculous..but the one that stands out the most in my mind is the level where you start out falling 100s of feet into some water and when you come up you realize you are in an underground city with two massive statues in front of you...this has to be one of the most breathtaking levels I have ever seen.

Need for Speed 3:Hot Pursuit- Lost Canyons and Aquatica-> these levels were awesome...and some of the jumps were mind blowing.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Super Mario Sunshine--I know this game has taken some serious criticism, but the levels with the acapela (sorry for the spelling) music and lack of FLUDD are great.

Zelda OOT--The first dungeon is pretty easy, but I'll never forget playing it for the first time.

Medal of Honor, Frontline--The submarine level. Pretty easy, but very cool.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II--Not many good Star Wars games out there, but taking on Luke's role and blowing up the Death Star is fantastic.

Metroid Prime--Hard to pick one, but the Mines are great.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I agree Rob, the old-school platforming levels in Mario Sunshine are ingenious. The sense of satisfaction (and frustration while trying to get 'em right!) when you finish one off is amazingly high.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I have a few I'd like to add to this list:
"Turbo Tunnel" from Battletoads (NES)
The first two levels of Battletoads offered little in the way of any real challenge. A decent gamer could breeze through them pretty easily, as well as the first part of level three. That would all change the instant your Toad hopped on the back of a wicked speeder bike and started racing through an obstacle course of gaping holes, cunningly placed ramps, and of course, many stone walls. It was as if Rare were saying, "Okay, we're through playing with you. From here on, prepare to die... a lot."
And die we did.
"Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" from Yoshi's Island (SNES)
While this game is packed with too many great levels to discuss here, I picked this one as the most notable. Not only does it stand as one of the most impressive technological achievements on the Super NES, but it's also one of the most delightful surprises. Who would imagine that we'd ever see our beloved Yoshi hopped up on goofballs?
"The Battle of Hoth" from Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64)
The saddest thing about this level is that it's the first one in the game, and nothing remotely touches it in terms of quality in the rest of the game. Yes, future versions of the same battle would look better, sound crisper, and show it at a bigger scale, but this was my first time wrapping an AT-AT in 3D. How could I not hold a special place in my heart for it?
"The Castle Courtyard" from Super Mario 64 (N64)
Has any other level in the history of gaming inspired so many to spend so much time doing so little? For many of us, this was our first foray into the world of 3D gaming and Mr. Miyamoto made sure we had a good time adjusting. I know that I spent hours running around this place, climbing trees, doing hand stands, bouncing off of walls, diving into the water for a swim, and trying to get to the top to the roof of the castle. The list could go on and on. There wasn't anything to accomplish here, but there was still so much to do. I doubt I'll ever goof off as much in a videogame ever again.
I'll close with a description of the videogame level that fills me with the most awe to this day.
"Ganondorf's Tower from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
You enter the tower at the center of Ganondorf's castle and begin climbing. Up and up you go through endless circling stairways. All the while, an ominous song grows ever louder, as if calling to you. At last, you reach the top floor and find the Dark Lord hunched over his pipe organ, and the battle begins. You defeat him, releasing Zelda from her imprisonment. Alas, the battle has not ended. Ganondorf used his last breath to bring down the castle, crushing both you and Zelda. The two of you race down the crumbling stairs, around falling debris, and through several bad guys who have one purpose: Stop you from escaping.
Finally, you make it to the castle's exit and watch as the entire structure falls in on itself. You and Zelda stand together in front of the ruins, breathing a sigh of relief that the battle is over. Suddenly a loud sound echoes through the air. You walk back into the rumble to investigate when a ring of fire erupts around you and Ganondorf rises from the ashes and hangs suspended in mid-air, breathing like an angry, wild animal. With a horrific cry he uses the Tri-Force of Power to transform himself. Slowly, the figure that was once Ganondorf reshapes into something far more animal-like and the new creature falls to the ground with a force great enough to shake the earth. The creature unfurls, revealing two massive swords in each of its mighty hands. It towers over you, slashing its swords through the air as if they were feathers. And one word appears on screen to describe this new creation.
GANON.
Can you defeat him?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Halo - The Silent Cartographer.
Thief - The Bonehoard
Thief II - The Docks
Half Life - On Rails
Unreal - Bluff Eversmoking

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The fuzzy level in Yoshis Island is a classic. I love the last battle with Baby/Steroids Bowser though.

The Ganon battle is still awe inspiring to this day though, I agree. I love the fact that every boss you fought until that point had an explanation for what it was, like"Parasitic Armored Arachnid: Ghoma" and so on. But Ganon was simply "Ganon" It added an ammount of awe to it. It was indescribable. And the fact that you almost NEVER clearly get a look at its face since it is blocking out most of the light. Quite possibly the greatest boss battle ever.

And I forgot about those Battletoads stages. A wave of frustrating nostalgia is washing over me now.

Just remembering the escape level at the end of Bucky O'Hare

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, seen some great choices here. I'll add a couple I can think of off the top of my head.

MGS - When you had to snipe Wolf... when she went down and you end her with a bullet to the head. WOW... what a great level and ending.

Tomb Raider 1 - I'm not sure the name, but it was where the water was rising up and you were doing some statue type work, they were the names of Gods. Man, that was awesome.

Mario 64 - First time underwater with that huge eel swimming around, just beautiful.

ICO - The whole damn game was gorgeous.

I'll have more I'm sure... great thread by the way!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Ms. Pacman Maze Madness: Temple of Dots
Pilotwings: Little States
Zelda OOT: First glimpse of the massive Hyrulian fields
Blaster Master: Sewer world
Super Mario Bros.: 8-2
Thief 2: Every level
Metroid Prime: Phenandra Drifts Research Facility
Ratchet & Clank: Metropolis Level (flying cars, etc)
MT's Punch Out: Soda Popinski
Mario64: The Bowser Levels (especially while... uh, intoxicated, yeah, that's it... :)
MGS: Revolver Ocelot's Torture Session
Sly Cooper: The 'rhythm game' themed boss battle
Goldeneye: Facility (honourable mention to Timesplitters 2 for the Goldeneye homage level)
Rogue Leader: Death Star Battle
Turok (1st one): The portion where you swim deep into a watery tunnel, down into seemingly endless depths.
Castlevania: Level 3 (the hunchbacks, the moss covered grey stone, and Dracula's tower in the background, signaling things to come... a masterful level from start to finish.
Rez: Direct Assault (I couldn't leave any out, sorry)
Golgo 13: Fangbacks building. (honourable mention to "My name is Sparticus.. he he he. I'm here to kill you.. he he he." nuff said.
Two Towers: Balin's Tomb
Tetris for Game Boy: Level 9, Height 9, get the space shuttle!
Metroid: (sorry for forgetting the world's name, but the 'Bubble world.' lovely, lovely)
GTA3: 'Sayonara Salvatore' (revenge is sweet)
Metropolis Street Racer: Pacific Heights
Halo: I don't own it, but every level I've played is a masterwork.
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance: The whole frickin game, especially the snowy mountainous area with the Yetis, and the last battle. Plus the levels where you play as Drizst.
Mega Man: Boss battle with the giant one eyed monster (get your minds out of the gutter)
Kid Icarus: ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS -- give it a try.
~j

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Some that I didnt see mentioned.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader (GC) - The Battle of Endor: Nothing beats the intensity of so many Tie Fighters and with no slowdown.

Metroid Prime (GC) - I havent played much of this game yet, but every level has been wonderful

Halo - The Pillar of Autumn: Hearing voices in 5.1 for the 1st time was wonderful. Also seeing the escape pods jetison while watching out the window was pretty cool.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (X-Box) - The Bronze: I love the entire level, especially with Spike kidnapping Willow.

Tony Hawk 4 (PS2) - Alcatrazz

I'll think of some more later.

-Dean-

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I don't want to repeat too much, just adding items of my own:
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: we'd seen it all before, and this game loses the simpler, more magical first-time quality of OOT, but MM is darker and much deeper. The "level" I have in mind is simply running around frantically on the third day, listening to the ominous strains of music creep over the soundtrack as the moon nears the earth and the citizens either panic or stubbornly meet their fates, and then then the moon begins tearing up the earth... and you powerless to stop it (this time).
Rez: the "mind killer" episode, played through a nice subwoofer/surround system. never gets old.
Dark Forces - Jedi Knight: the only FPS star wars game I've ever played all the way through ... the "falling ship" level knocked my socks off first time I played it.
Sonic Adventure 2: city escape. yes, even with that cheesy song. especially with that cheesy song..
(this one from just last night)
GTA3: VC: figuring out I could jump up on a moving cab and ride around the city taking out pedestrians from the hood. horrible, I know. twisted, sick - all that is horribly wrong with our values, our society... but THEN you reach four stars and police cars start racing after the cab (in vain) until finally they begin flying in front of you and crashing into poles until one rams you and the poor cabbie doesn't know what's going on and then the car explodes and you go flying and start running into the bushes and into a mall where you take a 'special dietary supplement' and suddenly everything is in slow-motion and the SWAT teams arrives and begin flying off your fists like tennis balls... then you exit the hotel and are immediately rammed and wasted by FBI vans...
Conker's BFD: the last boss battle.. i don't want to give it away, but never in a game have i been so relieved and amused at the same time...
Pokemon Puzzle League: playing the last several tournaments deep into the night, and replaying them in my head as i try to sleep...
great thread!
~steve

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
CIA Headquarters - Splinter Cell (I'm not too good at this game yet, but I loved this level.)

The Flood - Halo (Though I love EVERY level in this game.)

The Invisible Maze - Adventure (I hate that red dragon.)

"Jump Kick Block!" - Pa-Rappa the Rapper (This song is permanently etched upon my brain.)

Level 2 - Galaga (Cuz that's when you can build a double-shooter.)

Inside the Pit with a Dead Flower and a Piece of a Phone - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Just kiddin'. Was this the worst video game EVER???)

The Quest for Goldberry's Lilies - The Fellowship of the Ring (Try not to giggle when Tom Bombadil sings.)

The Dungeon - Itchy and Scrachy CD-ROM (Anyone know how to get out of the dungeon without using the Wizard's Key?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks