What is with vertical blue line on certain DVD's when played on an HDTV?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by -, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Guest

I've seen this on a few titles. They're always near the edge and its as if the didn't care to fix it because it wouldn't be seen due to overscan on standard TV's. One example is the Bobe Hope Colllection Road to Singapore. There's also a line in the orginal Black Cauldron DVD and the Sons of Liberty short on the Dodge City DVD. It looks like its part of the DVD's image and probably nothing can be done about it but if anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Guest

It is on a LOT of dvds and even blu-rays (of older transfers, I suspect!) The Waltons has a line on both sides in every episode! LOTR theatrical version (Fellowship) has one on the right. I would like to know what causes this as well. I hate it!

3. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1802274?threadID=1802274

4. Guest

What about 4:3 blu ray? It's A Wonderful Life has a line on the right pillarbox for the last reel. Is there a way to get rid of it? Is it on the actual print?

5. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    As someone who has not yet boughht an HDTV, this is a good thread. Question, in the quote above the first sentence references resolution and the last sentence references frame size (i.e. screen size). What exactly needs to be divisible by 16? What should I look for when buying a tv?

6. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    It has nothing to do with TV size or resolution - it's referring to the scaling of the original video files.

7. Guest

So, is it picture info. that audiences in theaters wouldn't have seen? Anyway to get rid of it?

8. JoeDoakes

Supporter

Ray
    The quote you posted mentioned resolution and "frame size" (whatever that is). But now are you saying the quote was wrong? Finally, is this a problem you can avoid by choosing certain HDTVs over others, and if so, which ones? (I did not understand the "divisible by 16" thing).

9. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    The post is talking about the frame size and resolution of the digital video files - it's all about the way the video is scaled and compressed. It has nothing to do with the monitor. You can avoid it on any monitor simply by changing the overscan settings.

10. JoeDoakes

Supporter

Ray
    Thanks. Does that "divisible by 16 thing have any significanse?