What's new

What is with vertical blue line on certain DVD's when played on an HDTV? (1 Viewer)

I've seen this on a few titles. They're always near the edge and its as if the didn't care to fix it because it wouldn't be seen due to overscan on standard TV's. One example is the Bobe Hope Colllection Road to Singapore. There's also a line in the orginal Black Cauldron DVD and the Sons of Liberty short on the Dodge City DVD. It looks like its part of the DVD's image and probably nothing can be done about it but if anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

It is on a LOT of dvds and even blu-rays (of older transfers, I suspect!) The Waltons has a line on both sides in every episode! LOTR theatrical version (Fellowship) has one on the right. I would like to know what causes this as well. I hate it!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1802274?threadID=1802274
Be aware. If you choose a resolution which is not divisible by 16, 8 or 4, you might end up with a 1px green border at either bottom or right side of your frame. "If the horizontal or vertical size is not divisible by 16, then the encoder pads the image with a suitable number of black "overhang" samples at the right edge or bottom edge. These samples are discarded upon decoding. For example when coding HDTV at 1920x1080, an encoder appends 8 rows of black pixels to ht eimage array, to make the row count 1088." -Charles Poynton (http://tinyurl.com/5vby6x) Maybe that green line I am talking about may show up if the player/codec have problems discarding those "overhang" samples on decoding? If you really want the most efficient and best quality encoding, you should choose a frame size which is divisible by 16, or at least 8.

What about 4:3 blu ray? It's A Wonderful Life has a line on the right pillarbox for the last reel. Is there a way to get rid of it? Is it on the actual print?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Worth said:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1802274?threadID=1802274
Be aware. If you choose a resolution which is not divisible by 16, 8 or 4, you might end up with a 1px green border at either bottom or right side of your frame. "If the horizontal or vertical size is not divisible by 16, then the encoder pads the image with a suitable number of black "overhang" samples at the right edge or bottom edge. These samples are discarded upon decoding. For example when coding HDTV at 1920x1080, an encoder appends 8 rows of black pixels to ht eimage array, to make the row count 1088." -Charles Poynton (http://tinyurl.com/5vby6x) Maybe that green line I am talking about may show up if the player/codec have problems discarding those "overhang" samples on decoding? If you really want the most efficient and best quality encoding, you should choose a frame size which is divisible by 16, or at least 8.
As someone who has not yet boughht an HDTV, this is a good thread. Question, in the quote above the first sentence references resolution and the last sentence references frame size (i.e. screen size). What exactly needs to be divisible by 16? What should I look for when buying a tv?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It has nothing to do with TV size or resolution - it's referring to the scaling of the original video files.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Worth said:
It has nothing to do with TV size or resolution - it's referring to the scaling of the original video files.
The quote you posted mentioned resolution and "frame size" (whatever that is). But now are you saying the quote was wrong? Finally, is this a problem you can avoid by choosing certain HDTVs over others, and if so, which ones? (I did not understand the "divisible by 16" thing).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The post is talking about the frame size and resolution of the digital video files - it's all about the way the video is scaled and compressed. It has nothing to do with the monitor. You can avoid it on any monitor simply by changing the overscan settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks