What's new

What is with NJ gas stations? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I travel to NJ often on business. Despite what you might think about the state, the vast majority of it is really quite nice and the people are reasonably decent (at least the ones I've worked with and met).
But there's one thing that completely ticks me off... I can't pump my own stinkin' gasoline! We're responsible enough to drive a car, but not enough to pump gas? Who was the genius who came with this law? And the biggest problem with a law like this is that you end up with so many people working at gas stations that you can't possible repeal the law because it would put so many people out of work.
So why does this bother me? It's not a money problem because the price of full serve gas in NJ seems to be about the same as self serve where I live. First, I don't like people touching my car. Secondly, they never put enough gas in it. The thing clicks off, the round to the next dollar, and that's it. My car will take at least another gallon or two after it clicks off. Try telling that to the guy pumping gas... think he cares?
I just wish they'd let me pump my own damn gas!
OK, I've got that off my chest. I'm not sure I feel better though.
-Steve

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Topping off your gas is one of the reasons for the law. Many states have adopted some sort of vapor recovery system to help reduce emmissions. The dispensors have built in pumps to remove the vapor escaping from the gas tank of your car and keep it in the in-ground tank. Topping off the tank may allow liquid fuel back into the system destroying the pumps and possibly causing a fire hazard. Of course other reasons include safty and spill containment. They figure if someone is there, and a spill or accident occurs, it can be handled immediately. Besides people LIKE being waited on.

Sidebar: Have you noticed that left hand turns arent allowed on many roads in NJ?

Bill

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I believe that it has to do with insurance... the first time I went to the giant used-car lot known as New Jersey :D I got out of my car, walked up to the pump, picked it up, and a gas-station attendant came running out yelling at me...

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
As a lifelong New Jerseyan, I don't mind having someone pump my gas for me at all...particularly on frigid days...I get to stay nice and toasty in the car while someone else is freezing their ass off ;)
What is a little annoying is the utter bafflement we Jerseyites face when forced to pump our own gas in another state....err..wait...do I pay first?? How do I pay? Do I push this thing under the nozzle down...and what is this supermarket doing here...I thought this was supposed to be a gas station...:)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and one more thing about NJ..if its so bad..why do so many people live here? And why is the real estate market so out of control that pedestrian 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 15 year old houses routinely go for 450,000 to 500,000k in my town? The Turnpike and the industrial region around it in the Northeastern part of the state is fairly wretched, but large parts of the rest of NJ are gorgeous....Hunterdon County, Warren County, Sussex County, parts of Morris County, Cape May County...all really nice spots.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Oh, and one more thing about NJ..if its so bad..why do so many people live here?
Well, I never said it was bad... just that I was annoyed by some of the... er... um... quirks.
BTW, Mike from Whippany... I just this very second returned to my hotel room after a visit to JRs on Rt 10. Damn, I love that place. :)
-Steve

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little hazy on the details (being a New Englander and all), but I believe the law was put into place by Christie Todd Whitman and the reason was to create jobs coming off the last recession. I remember Howard Stern mentioning something about it a year or so ago and it kind of stuck in my head.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Oregon's got the same law. I was on a road trip last spring with a friend of mine, driving through Oregon (neither of us had ever been to Oregon), and we had to stop in Eugene for gas. We were quite puzzled to see the guy standing next to the pumps, waiting for us. Asked him what the deal was, and man, he was just so condescending to us as he explained that "it's like. . . THE LAW.". :D We had no idea if we were supposed to tip him, or just drive off.
We just drove off. :D
Man, I couldn't stand not being able to pump my own gas. Or maybe Creepy Condescending Gas Station Employee just soured me on the whole deal. . .
-mwb-

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I'm a little hazy on the details (being a New Englander and all), but I believe the law was put into place by Christie Todd Whitman and the reason was to create jobs coming off the last recession.
New Jersey has had full service only for a lot longer than that.
My father owned a service station for about 30 years and I pumped a bit of gas in my time. I still don't know the official reason for "Why full serve?". I always thought it was because that's the way it always was and "they" didn't feel like changing it.
New Jersey isn't a bad place to live. And at least there were better drivers than we have here in Southeastern PA. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Greg Yurkovic. NJ has been full serve only for as long as I can remember (and I lived in NJ in the 70s). Greg Morse, if you learn one thing from this thread learn this, Howard Stern is completely full of shit. He's like a giant tank of shit and every time he opens his mouth it's like a shit geyser spraying out of your radio. You decide if you like to be covered in intellectual feces. :)
I drive through NJ fairly regularly and I like having full service. Stevem you absolutely should not top off your gas past the first initial auto shut-off. Doing so is irresponsible, it does defeat the vapor recovery systems on most pumps. It is very irresponsible to the environment, even though it may be convenient for you to get every drop of gas your car can handle.
What I hate about the full service gas in NJ is that despite the fact that I always specifically tell them "do not top it off" they still often do. I honk my horn if they put another drop in after the shut-off.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The law to not allow drivers to pump gas themselves has been on the books here FOREVER! And every time someone here..usually the gasoline dealers group...tries to get it eliminated..the consumer wins.

The BIG lie is that pumping yourself will save on gas cost. All that did in the 70's as prices rose was allow dealers to hire less people..and states to raise gas taxes to pre-do it yourself prices.

As for topping off..I can do so AND not defeat the return system, when pumping myself. I just go REALLY slow and get that last ounce in the tank. Also..rocking my van allows more gas in as well.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The biggest problem I have with these gas stations is that some times you sit and wait 5-10 minutes before an attendant comes out to pump your gas... of course, then they expect a tip...

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
of course, then they expect a tip...
I don't know how it works in other states, but I have NEVER tipped a gas station attendent. I've lived here in NJ my basically my whole life (since I was 3) and have never seen anyone (except people from other states) tip an attendent. So if you're in Jersey, don't bother to tip. That or I'm an ass and should have been tipping this whole time. :)

RicP

Screenwriter
No question.

I'd much rather be here in NJ than deal with Dante's 10th circle of hell in Boston. The worst traffic I've ever seen in my life up there. Couple that with the construction and some of the quirky loops and one-ways and I'd rather walk.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Oregon does have the same law. Whenever I drive through on my trips to California I always try to avoid stopping there. For some strange reason I don't like them pumping my gas. I guess I'm just so used to doing it myself.

From what I've heard, Oregon has the law to create more jobs.

The one time I tipped the attendant, they seemed offended by it. I haven't bothered to do it since.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I'd much rather be here in NJ than deal with Dante's 10th circle of hell in Boston
OK, you've got me there. Boston has, by far, the worst traffic problem I've ever seen.

Whenever it rains or snows, 128 becomes a parking lot. I-93, the infamous "Central Artery," is ALWAYS a parking lot, regardless of the weather.

5 Worst places to drive in Boston:

1. I-93Central Artery

2. Route 128 (I-95)

3. CallahanSummer tunnel (93 - East Boston)

4. Storrow Drive

5. toss up between Mass. Ave and the Pike

pretty much, these are all of the major roads that go through and around Boston.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
mea culpa, Philip. I agree he's full of shit, but he still entertains me in the morning.:) (kinda)
2 simple rules to driving in Boston: There are no traffic laws and always keep the car moving. Even if you're just inching forward, pedestrians will move around you. Do not stop and let a pedestrian cross or suddenly 60 others will also. Just pretend you're in Calcutta.
I used to think Boston traffic was bad (especially 93N through the city on a Friday afternoon in summer) until I got assigned to Silicon Valley a couple years ago. I'll never complain about Boston ever again. 101 was a parking lot any time of day; commute lasted until 9 at night. The only saving grace was I drive like I'm from Boston, and the folks out actually drive pretty reasonably. Felt like I was taking advantage of their generosity (they'll actually let you in to merge without having to work for it). That and the in-n-out burger and lack of rain and good Vietnamese food.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
IF people in NJ are anything like they are here in Louisiana, they do stupid shit like leaving their engine burning and smoking cigs while pumping gas.

Also topping off until it spills out of the neck and creates a major fire hazzard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.