What's new

What is UltraViolet™ and why should you care? (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Yeah, did you see this part of that article?
To buy, you'll need to first create a Paramount Movies account and then link back to your UltraViolet account (or create a new one, if necessary).
So you have to ask TWO corporate overlords for permission every time you use the system and that's two separate entities that are tracking you. winning! No thanks. Also:
Movies are also quite a bit more costly than you'll find them for on iTunes or Amazon.com. SD titles run for $12.99, while HD will set you back a full $19.99 — often times more than the Blu-ray would cost.
DUH
Once you download your copy it's yours to play on any UV device. Once purchased it can be played on any Device that supports UV. Once it's purchased it's yours they cannot take it away. It's a file on your system to be played on your UV player. DVDs have to be played on a DVD player same thing. Full steam ahead with Ultraviolet. It is the future and the studios are now rolling out major support.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Towergrove

Once you download your copy it's yours to play on any UV device. Once purchased it can be played on any Device that supports UV. Once it's purchased it's yours they cannot take it away. It's a file on your system to be played on your UV player. DVDs have to be played on a DVD player same thing.
Full steam ahead with Ultraviolet. It is the future and the studios are now rolling out major support.

Can I lend my file to a friend to play, or bring my file to friends house to play on their UV player? Because if not, it's far from the same thing.

I'll bet dvd and bluray players will be backwards compatible far longer then UV will be when it bites the dust or morphs into some new program.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Russell G

Can I lend my file to a friend to play, or bring my file to friends house to play on their UV player? Because if not, it's far from the same thing.

I'll bet dvd and bluray players will be backwards compatible far longer then UV will be when it bites the dust or morphs into some new program.

Yes actually you can sign in on a friends UV or give him sharing rights to your UV account. I believe you can have up to five. I see what your concerns are though. Love your avatar. Is it from Flash Gordon? Just both the BD a few days ago!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
As someone who has probably purchased over 1,000 discs in my lifetime (Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs), I can honestly say I've never been more apathetic to the idea of purchasing a new-release HD digital file for $22.99. Ugh. I can't envision any scenario that would convince me to do so.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by David Deeb

As someone who has probably purchased over 1,000 discs in my lifetime (Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs), I can honestly say I've never been more apathetic to the idea of purchasing a new-release HD digital file for $22.99. Ugh.
I can't envision any scenario that would convince me to do so.

I'm with you and I have purchased many more... It is interesting though as I haven't bought a CD in years just buy the MP3 from Apple. So if I had a Bluray burner and they made UV digital to Disk solution would I do it?? No most likely not. I like Digital Copy as an add-on to the disk I buy. I even like Universal right now that is including both UV and Digital Copy. However, I can't imagine paying disk prices or more for a digital copy only.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

As someone who has probably purchased over 1,000 discs in my lifetime (Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs), I can honestly say I've never been more apathetic to the idea of purchasing a new-release HD digital file for $22.99. Ugh.
I can't envision any scenario that would convince me to do so.

Yes they need to remove the high pricing. They also need to assure us that what we purchase is OURS not ours until the studios decide to pull the plug on their cloud.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
But it isn't. They've made clear their intentions Sarah. Seriously you are letting your enthusiasm for what UV could or should be distract you from what it actually is....

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

But it isn't. They've made clear their intentions Sarah. Seriously you are letting your enthusiasm for what UV could or should be distract you from what it actually is....

True Sam but I am also open minded and know from the sessions that I attended at CES that they (UV) are currently in soft launch mode and haven't even begun promotion and rollout to its fullest. I will be reserved in my judgements until they are fully up and in working order with the UV ecosystem.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Towergrove said:
Yes they need to remove the high pricing.  They also need to assure us that what we purchase is OURS not ours until the studios decide to pull the plug on their cloud.
An analyst weighs in on the (ridiculous) digital pricing: http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2012/01/studios-still-dont-get-it-paramount-charging-20-to-stream-10-year-old-movies.html Also: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/paramount/analyst-blasts-pricing-paramount-disk-free-uv-movies-26251

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

If I believed everything I was told at CES we'd all have enormous collections of Minidisks, cassingles and DAT...

Minidiscs were actually very popular in many places except the US.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This isn't related directly to UV, but to ownership of a digital copy. So in this regards, something to consider in the UV discussion. It's being considered a major victory for this website / service, I had never heard of. They buy & sell your used digital copies. A modern "used record store". http://finance.yahoo.com/news/redigi-wins-major-victory-court-230300838.html

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

This isn't related directly to UV, but to ownership of a digital copy. So in this regards, something to consider in the UV discussion.
It's being considered a major victory for this website / service, I had never heard of. They buy & sell your used digital copies. A modern "used record store".
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/redigi-wins-major-victory-court-230300838.html

Thanks for sharing David. This could have an across the board impact on sales of digital media!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Walmart is supporting:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/28/2830369/walmart-ultraviolet-disc-to-digital

Too bad consumers aren't... :P

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, you know my thoughts on that. BTW did you see that UVVU was a Jeopardy answer the other night? Clearly the contestants hadn't heard of it, but the guy who got the question right buzzed in the answer by guessing that UV= ultraviolet. Fail fail fail. So few people have heard of it that it was the hardest non-final jeoparday prize amount.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Russell G Lovin the itunes/ apple announcements today. Glad they are moving forward with their ownership digital download and streaming model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks