What's new

What is UltraViolet™ and why should you care? (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Looks like the Ultraviolet website is now open for business. I see that they also are posting specs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a fundamental problem with "buying" something that can, in some way, be taken away simply because a business changes its mind, model or just ceases to exist. I have also never purchased any downloaded music either, so that doesn't mean it can't be successful. Of course, the difference is that with downloads you at least have "physical" possession of the content. I enjoy NetFlix streaming, but I don't see jumping on the bandwagon with this.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's worse than that for me, Russell. The peoplensupporting it will tell you "if you don't like or want it don't use it" but what they won't tell you is that like the idiotic DIVX before it, it is being used to kill a perfectly r easonable way to consume movies because it doesn't maximize their revenues. It's bullshit smoke and mirrors. BTW the dumbasses running it decided their website would be uvvu.com guess who failed/forgot to register @uvvu for a twitter handle.. Duh. https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/uvvu

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by JohnRice

I have a fundamental problem with "buying" something that can, in some way, be taken away simply because a business changes its mind, model or just ceases to exist. I have also never purchased any downloaded music either, so that doesn't mean it can't be successful. Of course, the difference is that with downloads you at least have "physical" possession of the content. I enjoy NetFlix streaming, but I don't see jumping on the bandwagon with this.

You do know that you have the choice to stream OR DOWNLOAD if you prefer and keep your digital file on your own. Streaming is not a requirement with UV.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

It's worse than that for me, Russell. The peoplensupporting it will tell you "if you don't like or want it don't use it" but what they won't tell you is that like the idiotic DIVX before it, it is being used to kill a perfectly r easonable way to consume movies because it doesn't maximize their revenues.
It's bullshit smoke and mirrors.
BTW the dumbasses running it decided their website would be uvvu.com guess who failed/forgot to register @uvvu for a twitter handle.. Duh.
https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/uvvu

I noticed the twitter part the other day too. Would have thought they would have registered the twitter handle too, very odd.

I registered for UV to try it out on Green Lantern later when its released (Next week ??) but I will still continue to purchase discs as well because I want the physical product if Im going to spend my $$ to purchase a product.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You dont seem to get my complaint Sarah, they are conspiring to price fix disks and eliminate rental completely, they admit it fully here: http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/miramax-ceo-ultraviolet-we-have-244448 This is consumer suicide! This statement admits they are planning something blatantly illegal:
He said there needs to be discussion among studios regarding pricing of packaged media, including the fact that DVD prices currently are too high at retail, especially for library product. Lang also said studios should not advocate the transactional VOD rental model.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

You dont seem to get my complaint Sarah, they are conspiring to price fix disks and eliminate rental completely, they admit it fully here:
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/miramax-ceo-ultraviolet-we-have-244448
This is consumer suicide!
This statement admits they are planning something blatantly illegal:
He said there needs to be discussion among studios regarding pricing of packaged media, including the fact that DVD prices currently are too high at retail, especially for library product. Lang also said studios should not advocate the transactional VOD rental model.

I see what you are saying yes Sam but this doesn't effect me too much as I don't rent and only purchase my home videos. For those like me who purchase... It could raise the price of discs in the end though (price fix?). Im not sure if its illegal (I will leave that up to the attorneys to figure that one out).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If there isnt outcry it will be taken as acceptance. This is blatant bullying of the consumer forcing a business model that is long term problem unless ts addressed now

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Collusion to fix prices is definitely illegal. What's funny is that the core concept of UltraViolet began - and stated as - consumer ownership remains with the consumer on purchase. That simple admission has led 4 countries and the EU to basically say "You can store your own.." and because of the way it's stated, while studios have said they are "dissappointed" not a one of them has decided to go legal. Not one. So, we take that huge positive step out of the results of early Ultraviolet sign ons, and the businesses seem to be saying: we're giving the SAVVY consumer X because that's about 4% of the market; for the other 96%, we'll make our bread and butter and price fix. What?!?!

Originally Posted by Towergrove

I see what you are saying yes Sam but this doesn't effect me too much as I don't rent and only purchase my home videos. For those like me who purchase... It could raise the price of discs in the end though (price fix?). Im not sure if its illegal (I will leave that up to the attorneys to figure that one out).

/t/311881/what-is-ultraviolet-and-why-should-you-care/60#post_3858521

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

If there isnt outcry it will be taken as acceptance. This is blatant bullying of the consumer forcing a business model that is long term problem unless ts addressed now

Sam I do understand what you are saying. I hope we are beginning to see a Divx like outcry from the Home Theater community on UV. The problems should be dealt with now like you say before its too late.

Sarah

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ultraviolet playback on IOS devices iPad, iPhone and Android products is now available thru the flixster app update available today in the app stores.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Winning, duh. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/ultraviolet-on-ebay-no-big-deal.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTechnologyBlog+%28Los+Angeles+Times+Technology+Blog%29 Lol if anyone doesnt want their UV codes for Horrible Bosses or Green Lantern let me know..

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don't call it a comeback! http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/24/2726874/drm-comeback-digital-media-cloud-ultraviolet
Modern DRM is invisible to the user and ignored by the thief. Nowhere is this contradiction more evident than with UltraViolet, the universal DRM system and rights locker platform being pushed by a consortium of Hollywood studios and tech companies. A consumer who purchases an UltraViolet video receives a centralized rights token that enables any other UltraViolet-compatible app or service to play or stream that video, theoretically enabling direct price competition between retailers and broad compatibility between apps and devices that support UltraViolet. Along the way, no fewer than five different DRM systems are potentially engaged — UltraViolet isn't itself a new DRM system, but rather a coordinating service that links existing DRM systems together. This coordinating layer will indeed make it easier for consumers to shop for videos from a wider variety of retailers, and the idea of accessing video purchased from any service in a single location is a nice one, but UltraViolet's Mark Teitell admits the system won't stop determined pirates. "There are always going to be people who have time to mess around with BitTorrent."
Oh yeah, and it's designed to kill rental...

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Don't call it a comeback!
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/24/2726874/drm-comeback-digital-media-cloud-ultraviolet
Modern DRM is invisible to the user and ignored by the thief.
Nowhere is this contradiction more evident than with UltraViolet, the universal DRM system and rights locker platform being pushed by a consortium of Hollywood studios and tech companies. A consumer who purchases an UltraViolet video receives a centralized rights token that enables any other UltraViolet-compatible app or service to play or stream that video, theoretically enabling direct price competition between retailers and broad compatibility between apps and devices that support UltraViolet. Along the way, no fewer than five different DRM systems are potentially engaged — UltraViolet isn't itself a new DRM system, but rather a coordinating service that links existing DRM systems together. This coordinating layer will indeed make it easier for consumers to shop for videos from a wider variety of retailers, and the idea of accessing video purchased from any service in a single location is a nice one, but UltraViolet's Mark Teitell admits the system won't stop determined pirates. "There are always going to be people who have time to mess around with BitTorrent."
Oh yeah, and it's designed to kill rental...

Yes Ultraviolet had DRM, so does DVD, Bluray, HDDVD, VHS and many cable and satellite services.

Btw... In other news... Full steam ahead with Ultraviolet...

[url=http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/24/2730212/paramount-selling-ultraviolet-digital-movies-directly]http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/24/2730212/paramount-selling-ultraviolet-digital-movies-directly

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Winning, duh.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/ultraviolet-on-ebay-no-big-deal.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTechnologyBlog+%28Los+Angeles+Times+Technology+Blog%29
Lol if anyone doesnt want their UV codes for Horrible Bosses or Green Lantern let me know..

Interesting read...

Complaints Are Short-Sighted Regarding UltraViolet
Maybe it’s human nature to complain, to find fault with new products and technologies. But the criticism that has been leveled at UltraViolet — the revolutionary “digital locker,” backed by five of the six major studios, that lets consumers buy content once and then access it whenever and wherever they like, on a wide array of devices — strikes me as petty and nitpicky.
[url=http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tks-take/complaints-are-short-sighted-regarding-ultraviolet]http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tks-take/complaints-are-short-sighted-regarding-ultraviolet

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Towergrove

Yes Ultraviolet had DRM, so does DVD, Bluray, HDDVD, VHS and many cable and satellite services.

Difference though is when you buy a DVD, Bluray or VHS, it's yours to do what you want with and it wont stop working because the rights holder decides to take it away like Ultraviolet can and most likely will. I've never used those digital download discs, but my cousin plnned on loading up his laptop with some movies prior to traveling only to discover that the download codes expired. He paid for the extra value, and now it's gone. It's that type of bullshit that the studios don't seem to understand when doing streaming and dealing with piracy. If they provide a decent product in an easy to use way at a fair price, they shouldn't have problems making money on the internet.

As Louie CK recently proved...

Hear that, [url=http://www.engadget.com/tag/MPAA/]MPAA
/ RIAA? That's the sound of Louis CK's audience chuckling. Not at one of his jokes, mind you, but at the notion of strapping DRM onto everything you possibly can in order to "make people buy it." In an effort to see if this crazy idea was true or not, the famed comedian decided to sell his Live at the Beacon Theater for just $5. Procuring it was dead simple -- you could either surf over to his website and plop down a PayPal payment, or you could pirate it. Either way, no DRM was affixed. Turns out, people actually are fans of paying money for things that they see as both fair and worthwhile, as evidenced by the $1 million that currently sits in Louis CK's PayPal account. Of course, we've never advise anyone to hold anywhere near that much cash in an account that could be frozen on you at a moment's notice (not that we have experience or anything), but at least he's going to do awesome things with the proceeds. We'll let you hit the source link to find out precisely what that is. Kudos, Louis.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/22/louis-ck-makes-1-million-in-12-days-proves-that-drm-free-conte/

http://gizmodo.com/5870740/whats-louis-ck-doing-with-the-million-dollars-you-just-gave-him

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Yeah, did you see this part of that article?
To buy, you'll need to first create a Paramount Movies account and then link back to your UltraViolet account (or create a new one, if necessary).
So you have to ask TWO corporate overlords for permission every time you use the system and that's two separate entities that are tracking you. winning! No thanks. Also:
Movies are also quite a bit more costly than you'll find them for on iTunes or Amazon.com. SD titles run for $12.99, while HD will set you back a full $19.99 — often times more than the Blu-ray would cost.
DUH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks