What's new

What is this decade called? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was just happy to spell "grammatically" correctly.

Besides that, in my last post, does the period go inside the quotations, or outside?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The "punctuation marks always being inside the quotation marks" rule is not intuitive (or, maybe, logical), but hard and fast nevertheless. I tried to fight it for years, but finally got sick of being corrected.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Mike, thats a beautiful job of punctuation. Course i dont have a clue if its right!

Whats this thread about again?

To misquote Risky Business, "if you cant spell it, you cant say it."

So, the moral of the story is...we dont care what this decade is, cause we cant spell for ****!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

You're right. For periods and commas it is not very intuitive at all. For question marks and exclamation points it is a different set of rules, though. If it is part of the quotation, the question mark or exclamation point goes inside of the quotation marks. If the question mark or exclamation point applies to the sentence as a whole, but not the quote, it goes outside of the quotation marks.

The Brits, however, make it all easy and apply the "logical" rule to periods and commas in addition to exclamation points and question marks.

I hate typing long posts in threads like this. You just know it is going to get picked apart grammatically. I feel like I just painted a big target on my chest. :laugh:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I probably should have put a smiley when I wrote: I was just happy to spell "grammatically." correctly

I meant it as a joke. :D

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I've been using "the twenty-ohs". Say it a few times; it has a ring to it and makes sense.

If 1809 is pronounced "Eighteen-oh-nine", and 1909 is pronounced "Nineteen-oh-nine" then shouldn't 2009 be pronounced "Twenty-oh-nine"? After all "twenty" is the next number in the series "Seventeen, eighteen, nineteen..."

I think because we had been looking forward in time to "The Year 2000" for so long, we couldn't quite pry ourselves away from pronouncing succeeding years as "two thousand one, two thousand two," etc. But really if we'd been following consistent logic from prior centuries, it should have been pronounced "twenty-oh-one, twenty-oh-two", etc.

Therefore it would make sense to refer to this decade as the "twenty-ohs".

This term also distinguishes itself from "twenty-hundreds" which could be construed as meaning the years 2000-2099.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well it is that time of year again to bring this up. There have been lots of ideas but, with only a few days left to the decade, has anything stuck?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D /forum/thread/274204/what-is-this-decade-called/60#post_3642446

I'll beg to differ. I got my Ph.D., a job, a car, a house, and a wife this decade. It's been pretty good overall. :) But I hope D. Robbins got the name figured out, he's only got two days left!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I like the sound of the double "OOs" It sounds James Bond-ish. I think in the end the media will eventually name it and that will stick. Have you heard anything yet? Here is what Wiki says and they do not sound so sure:

"Any decade is known by the term most commonly used. This decade will be known as the 2000's (as in 'two thousand nine'). This can change over time - in twenty years who knows what it will be referred as. Back in the early 1900's, the first decade was known as the 'aughts' (as in 'aught oh nine')."

So I guess we will be saying "Back in the two thousands" when we talk about this decade.

So anyway, the "two thousands" were good to me also. No major catastrophes, My children are approaching their late teens and all is well. My wife got her RN certification, we built our dream house (or as close as we can afford). Both my mother and brother moved out of NJ and live up the street now. I have been blessed to keep the same job for the longest that I ever have had one - 8 years. Looking back, I can not think of anything major that went wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks