What's new

What is this decade called? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't know. If a troll is well educated, thats OK with me. :emoji_thumbsup: Is exact noon 12:00:00 AM? and 12:00:01 PM?

Well this year is 2009 with the 00s. Next year is 2010 and no more 00s. So with that train of thought, I would say that this is the last year of the 00s. I personally like to refer to these years as the double 0s - 005, 006, 007. Sounds a little James Bond-ish.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
On a similar note, how do you prefer to pronounce the individual years. I don't like to say Two-thousand nine for example. I prefer to say Twenty-oh-nine.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

OMG! I was gonna get on here and quote me some Jethro Bodine too! Great minds, and all that stuff, i guess.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There are centuries and centuries, decades and decades. The words can be used to refer to specific items like "the nineteenth century", "the fifth centruy BCE" or "the first decade of the 20th century", or they can simply refer to any sequence of 100 years or ten years. It certainly makes perfect sense to refer to the changes that took place in America "in the century between 1865 and 1965", for instance. The seventh decade of the 20th century started on January 1, 1961 and ended on December 31, 1970. But the decade of "The 70s" was the ten year span that includes all the years that begin with "197". There is nothing "wrong" with this definition. A decade is a ten year period and Jan 1 1970 to Dec 31 1979 is ten years. The first decade of the 20th century began on January 1, 1901 and ended on December 31, 1910. But that has nothing to do with when the "1910s" started and ended.

I see someone has already mentioned that "Aught Eight" and the like are indeed American collequialisms that are used with years all the time in certain regions, although the useage does seem to be fading.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ But it's not fair to compare the definition of Century to Decade. While one definition of a decade can refer to any span of ten years, it is also defined as any span of ten years where the first year ends in zero.

So it is fair to assume that when someone refers to the 1920's, they are referring to the years between 1920-1929 and not 1921 to 1930.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Lets see, how did my dad explain it...i think it was my dad? Oh heck, anyway...your not 1 when your born, your 1 after that year is done. So, if you were born in 1970 you dont turn 1 til 71, and your not 10 until 1980. What i am getting at, is you have to live the year, before you can count that year.

I dont know what i am saying. I just wanted to throw that out, see if it sticks. :P

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Looking at the Join Dates, it seems that most were not here nine years ago -- I seem to recall a similar conversation that went nowhere back then
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And then there's Joe, who joined when time began. The Unix guys had an advantage: zero had been invented a long time ago.

In some places, you are....

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Damn your and you're, damn it to helllll!!!! :D

Same goes to lose and loose! :P

Also, i didnt know in some places YOU ARE! Learn something every day!

added grin so Henry wouldnt, or should i say would'nt think i was taking things wrong

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's all symantics. Take someone who is 30; You can say "They are 30 years old." and you also say "They are in their 31st year of life."

They're both the same, it's just that one indicates what you were and the other indicates what you'll become. OK, I don't know if that made things any less confusing, but this reminds me of a funny story back when I was 20...

My friend (female) had just turned 20 and we were at this store. I mentioned her birthday to the guy behind the counter and he congratulated her and asked how old she was. She said "20" and he responded: "Ah, you're in your 3rd decade."

:eek: She was mortified and said "No! I said I'm 20! not 30!" - and he smiled and said "Yeah, your 1st decade was 0-9, your 2nd decade was 10-19, and now you are in your 3rd decade." :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I hate to pile on, Rick...but you really "should say" wouldn't. :D Uses "big grin" smilie so Rick knows I'm just yanking his chain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks