What's new

What is THEE best Blu-Ray movie (1 Viewer)

Harry Lime 69

Auditioning
Real Name
Jose Chavez
The Ten Commandments is the greatest bluray of a technicolor film in terms of preserving the glorious essence of its vintage photography from a bygone era.

I have seen this film almost a HUNDRED times since childhood but checking out the bluray blown through my projector the other night was like seeing it for the FIRST TIME. Paramount took that title to the moon.

I was ecstatic about the treatment that The Wizard Of Oz and Gone With The Wind received on bluray last year, but this new title surpasses the quality of the 1939 titles.

Salivating over the possibilities of Lawrence Of Arabia.

My favorite B & W title on bluray is Last Year At Marienbad, followed closely by It's A Wonderful Life.

Taxi Driver looks AMAZING. Every 70's film should be lucky enough to get as pristine a treatment that that bluray affords.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Harry Lime 69 said:
The Ten Commandments is the greatest bluray of a technicolor film in terms of preserving the glorious essence of its vintage photography from a bygone era.
American in Paris looks great too. For B&W, I really like the way In Cold Blood looked. It surprised me. I'd seen it on DVD and didn't realize the cinematography was so good. I'm looking forward to The Hustler.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by bigshot

American in Paris looks great too.

Really? I've been told that the colors are all wrong. I haven't bought the BRD for that reason

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would not consider "An American in Paris" to be on any blu-ray best lists. Not by a long shot. "Wizard of Oz" yes, "AIP" no

The picture isn't bad, but no where close to image quality of other older films on Blu-ray

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I would not consider "An American in Paris" to be on any blu-ray best lists. Not by a long shot. "Wizard of Oz" yes, "AIP" no

The picture isn't bad, but no where close to image quality of other older films on Blu-ray

Was AIP a port of its most recent dvd release? I didn't think that one looked especially good. Wizard of Oz was a port, and I've never been convinced that the colors are quite correct. It always looked a little too red to me, and I do recall we were debating it with lots of screen caps when it came out, years ago. It is a very, very good-looking film on both dvd and bluray, but I'm just not...quite...sure about it. Well, hey--it's the Wizard of Oz. No doubt there'll be yet another restoration within the next 10 years.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Robin9

Quote:

Really? I've been told that the colors are all wrong. I haven't bought the BRD for that reason
Oh, if you like musicals at all you should buy American in Paris. It looks very, very good. It's not in the top ten, but overall it's a fine presentation of a wonderful film with replay value (if you like musicals that is). I've watched it with my daughter 3 times in the year since I bought it. Good stuff. It's right up there with Singin in the Rain for me.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Whenever I want to show off my projection system to people for the first time, I screen the ballet at the end of American in Paris. It's absolutely dazzling. Great color, great sound, great dancing. Sharp as a tack too. The plot parts of the picture don't interest me all that much but the musical segments are beautiful. I can't imagine anyone saying this disk doesn't look good. The ballet sequence on the That's Entertainment disk looks crummy. Perhaps that's what they are referring to.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
By the way, I just checked at DVD Beaver and American in Paris is definitely not the same transfer on bluray as on DVD. It was originally released as a two blu special edition in Japan. If you have any doubts about the image quality and color, the frame grabs there should satisfy you.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The three best in my collection would probably be:

Bridge over the River Kwai

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The BBC series/documentary Life also looks pretty darn good.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Tough one... I'd say I'd have to go with:

Michael Jackson: This Is It - not all reference material, but what is is very good.

Zombieland - (This movie just fricken rocks)

2008's The Incredible Hulk or 2012 to show off my system.

CaribCruiser

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Don't have that much on Blu Ray yet, although rented a lot. For me quality wise, so far; Movie: Swordfish Music / Concert: David Gilmour :"Live at The Royal Albert Hall"

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I tried,i really tried. its one of those questions that's at the same time useless and soooo much fun. Yes youre ALL my kids and i love you all the same (pause) Actually that's not true,i'm sorry Artemus but i do love Caractacus a lot more,he's funnier and a lot more charming. Life is unfair,get used to it. I can't do it.For now.Stop looking at me Blade runner. So my answer will also be from the future.Lawrence of arabia.Unless someone brings Peter O'Toole back and have him yell NOOOOOOOO for a scene.There's quite a few scenes he could say it,but i dont want to reveal spoilers from this masterpiece. I just made myself shiver with that dumb NOOOOOOO joke.Stupid George.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
One disc that keeps popping into my head is "Taxi Driver." Thank you Mr. Harris for this one. Wow. Great movie, perfect PQ, multiple commentaries (including Martin Scorsese), and a very cool running script option so you can "watch" the dialogue as it happens. All for under $15. Blu-ray heaven.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I haven't watched Taxi Diver on Blu-ray yet, but I apply all the enthusiastic adjectives in the dictionary to: Black Narcissus Bigger Than Life Bridge On the River Kwaii North By Northwest How the West Was Won 2001: A Space Odyssey Barry Lyndon A Passage to India Of course, the absolute worst are The Searchers and Rio Bravo ...

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I love your list Richard--W but i thought the original post listed these... Picture quality, effects, audio effects, plot, actors, etc And youre putting Searchers in the worst category alongside Rio bravo ? Martin Scorsese just called.Joe Pesci's coming to pick you up for a nice ride.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Don't worry about Pesci. I'll try not to hurt him too bad. My admiration for The Searchers and Rio Bravo is on the record, but the Blu-rays are improperly and whimsically color timed. Gamma went wrong, too. WHV should withdraw them from the market, issue an apology to Ford, to Hawks, to the consumers, and then send out corrected editions at a certain individual's expense. Then fire him.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Then im no good when technical aspects come into play. Wrong gamma,color timing DNR,EE and all that, i havent taken a single course on yet. Be alert with Pesci,hes the only Sesame street guest to ever spit on Elmo,although Elmo had started the fight by saying they'd never invite violent people ever again after Pesci. But Searchers does look pinsharp to my eyes and Rio bravo does look like a reject from Fuzzyville,U.S.A. But i suspect this is the quality of the source material.... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks