What's new

What is "The Weakest Link"???? (1 Viewer)

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Since I couldn't find a General Home Theater forum in here, I pose the question to you all. I am looking to do some upgrades and am looking for opinions on what I should concentrate my efforts on first.

Here is a complete list of my equipment?

Electronics

TV - Sony KF-60WE610
Surround Processor - B&K Components Reference 50
Power Amplifier - B&K Components Reference 200.5
DVD Player - Denon DVD-2910
HD-Tivo/Sat Receiver - DirecTV HR10-250
CD Player - Sony CDP-CX400
Power Conditioner - PS Audio Power Director 4.7

Speakers

Mains - Martin Logan Ascent
Rears - Martin Logan Script
Center - Martin Logan Cinema
Sub - Martin Logan Descent

Speaker Cables

Mains - Audioquest Slate - Double Star-Quad Series
Audioquest - Slate - Double Star-Quad Series
Audioquest - Type 4

Power Cords

Power Conditioner - PS Audio - xStream Plus
Surround Processor - PS Audio - xStream Prelude
Amplifier - PS Audio - xStream Plus
Subwoofer - PS Audio - xStream Plus
Left Speaker - PS Audio - xStream Prelude
Right Speaker - PS Audio - xStream Prelude
Center Speaker - PS Audio - xStream Prelude
DVD Player - PS Audio - xStream Power Punch
HD-Tivo - PS Audio - xStream Power Punch
CD Player - PS Audio - xStream Power Punch
Television - PS Audio - xStream Power Punch

Interconnects

From Device - To Device -Cable Type-Brand-Model
Preamp-AmpXLR Balanced Interconnect-BetterCables-BlueTruth
Preamp-Subwoofer-XLR Balanced Interconnect-Audioquest-Sub-1
CD-Preamp-Optical Toslink-Audioquest-Optilink-1
HD-Tivo-TV-Component Video Interconnect-Audioquest-YIQ-1
HD-Tivo-TV-RCA Analog Interconnect-Audioquest-Diamondback
HD-Tivo-Preamp-Optical Toslink-Audioquest-Optilink-1
DVD-TV-DVI-D Interconnect-Audioquest-DV-1
DVD-Preamp-RCA Digital Interconnect-Audioquest-VDM-1
DVD -Preamp-RCA Analog Interconnect-Audioquest-Diamondback
Preamp-TV-S-Video Interconnect-Audioquest-S-1

I'm just looking for a general idea of where I should be looking. Also note that I do not have any accessories such as vibrapods or other dampening accessories.

Thanks for your input.

Scott

John S

Senior HTF Member
Can't argue with ML's, Sony displays, B&K audio separates......

I can dream about them though... :)

Really, nice budget. If your going to do it, do it right is what I always say.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Nice set-up! Your CD-P and DVD-p are your weakest in comparison to the rest of your system IMO.

John S

Senior HTF Member
OK, seriously. I was looking at this more.

Get some EQ going on your sub. Or did I miss that in the equipment list?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You HAVE this system or you are preparing to buy it? I don't see anything I'd call actually a weak link besides the CD player.

If you haven't bought - don't bother with Audioquest for any video cables, go with bluejeans. In general they are about half the price and just as good, if not better in most cases. I compared the YIQ to a Monster to Bluejeans and the Bluejeans was not only the best performing, it was the least expensive by far.

Instead of Diamondbacks, I'd highly recommend these. These guys are slightly better than the DBs at nearly half the price. I have both, and I wish I had known about the CQs before buying all those DBs... Good customer service from that place too. You might even consider Bluejeans for audio ICs as well.

For any components that have coaxial, I'd recommend that over optical, just because the connection is more sturdy.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Not familiar with a product that will do this. I know Velodyne has something coming out shortly, though.

What type of product are you referring to?

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the system listed is my current configuration.

I do run coax video where possible (only DVD player)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, never mind then...:eek: Just like you, I found out about some of those guys after the fact, having already spent the money.

I wouldn't call your DVD player a weak point; the 2910 is a fine player.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do a seach the Beringer Feedback Destroyer or BFD for short. That is an upgrade to all this that will make a difference.

I likk all your choices, I still use a realitvely cheap Sone 300 disc CD juke, feed the most excellent dacs in my AVR the redbook stuff digitally and viola, it sounds killer!!!

Good points on the cables for cheaper by others here. But your cable choices are fine performance wise.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Great gear...now the real question is: is it setup properly? Improper vs correct setup will mean a whole lot more difference than cabling brand.

FWIW,

gregg

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg,

Although my room isn't ideal, I believe it's set up as best as I could get it. I've used DVD video and audio calibration disks. I moved my speakers around until I found just the right spot. I have used the notch filters in the pre-amp to help with a couple nulls.

I've been upgrading my home theater since the late 80's/early 90's. I've participated in meny forums and subscribe and read to HT magazines.

I'm pretty sure that it's set up fairly well. I'm sure a professional could come in and make some tweaks though. ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Here is the weakest link:

1) Get some analog interconnects to run between your Denon 2910. I'm not sure how the DACs perform in your pre-pro in comparison, but it would be good for you to find out by testing the differences out - assuming you do listen to your system for some music, too.

2) With the upgrade money, buy some media of some sort. Music, movies, etc. Your system seems completed.

Again, though, my suggestions were based from a musical perspective. Not sure if you're into music, or mainly just movies.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The answer is obvious and has already been mentioned twice- a BFD. This upgrade will cost less than some of you cables and have a huge impact.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne - I do have analog interconnects from the DVD to the pre/pro. I have 3 pairs of Diamondbacks for SACD/DVD-Audio.

Does someone have a link to this BFD? I've done a search on it and only find it mentioned in posts of forums. Can someone post a link to the manufacturer website or someone that sells it?

Thanks!!

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind, I've been able to find it. Someone mis-spelled it above and that was throwing off my search.

Reading the info on it, it sounds like it does the same thing as my pre/pro. The B&K Ref 50 has 3 notch filters that I've already set. Does this Feedback Destroyer do something different?

I would want to avoid putting another link in the chain if it doesn't really do much more than what I already have. Also, I am a bit skeptical of adding another component that only costs $129. They say your system is only as good as it's weakest link, and it seems that this new component would be the weakest link. How good can the electronics inside be if the thing only costs $129??

Am I missing something here?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Its only in the chain for the sub. It works in the digital domain, and microprocessors are cheap electronics. To know if it would help you, you need to plot pure sine wave SPL against frequency from about 20 to 100. If thats nice and flat at your favorite listening position, then you don't need one.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Thats alright, they're mostly snakeoil anyway (I'm not saying 100% of them are, just every one I've ever seen).

You said it yourself, your weak link is your room. I'd consult some experts, acoustical redesigns can be pretty complex. Unless you have wood floors, then get yourself a carpet.

Have you had an electrician come and test your power outlets? You could have a grounding issue and not even know it, although you'd probably know it by now.

Or you could scrap your TV for a projector & screen.

Its hard to recommend for you, most of your equipment is so good it would be hard to get any better even with an unlimited budget. Well maybe the new Eminent Technology subwoofer/fan I read about at Audioholics. It cost $13,000 and has to be housed in a seperate room (like an attic) and aimed into your theater, but produced bass from 1 to 30Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks