What's new

What is the smallest screen size you can use a projector for? (1 Viewer)

JeffBORCH

Auditioning
What is the smallest screen size you can use a projector for?
The inFocus Screen Play 4805 is the one im looking at right now. Im in a dormer bedroom so it does no good when all i can find is that the max screen size is 9'. I could put it in the basement but its not finished and cold. Im thinking about 50 to 60 inches would be good.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

I am not sure what you are asking.

Are you saying your throw distance is 9 feet? or you are wanting a 9 foot screen (which is very large).

If you call www.tvauthority.com they will have the throw distance calculators available and will then tell you how the 4805 (or other PJ) will work given a particular throw distance and desired size.

I did a Panny AE 700 a while ago, about 8 foot of throw and had a 65 inch screen. My client was extremely happy.

Regards

Gregg

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Not too sure what you are asking for... there is no minimum throw distances for projectors. The closer to the screen your projector is the smaller the image will be. Of course, there comes a point of diminishing returns when you can get a 27" TV for >$200 why spend $800+ on a projector to project 27"?

For the Infocus 4805, at 9' you are looking at an approximately 58" wide (in 16:9 aspect ratio) image.

Hope this helps.

JB

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen

This is not correct. Every PJ has a throw distance range. At a certain closeness the PJ will no longer be able to focus the image.

When zooming an image, the larger the zoom, the larger the size of the image within the optical cavity (or lense). As the image fills a greater proportion of the lense area the greater the image degregation. Ideally you want to be very close to the rear of a PJs throw range.

Regards

Gregg

JeffBORCH

Auditioning
my maximum throw distance is 11 feet, and the largest screen i can fit in my room would be about 60 inches or less. So, can the 4805 project a screen of size 60-50 inches and properly focus it?

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
i had an optoma h31

my throw distance was about 7 feet from a coffee table

i got an image of about 50-60 inches diagonal depending on how much i wanted to zoom it (less zoom equals brighter image more zoom equals bigger image)

the 4805 is a longer throw projector (meaning your image would be smaller from the same distance)

so a 4805 will work well within your 11 foot distance

ASSUMING you can position it well

i.e. ceiling, coffee table etc

that can get very tricky

good luck!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
your question is still very confusing. The screen size varies on the throw distance and the zoom setting(if applicable). Projectors spec appropriate throw ranges.

You keep mentioning your "max throw distance", but that would give you the BIGGEST picture, which is not what you want. You want to pay attention to the minimum throw, and the screen size that gives you.

JeffBORCH

Auditioning
i found what im looking for its a program in the infocus website that lets you go to a 34 inch diagonal at a 5 foot throw distance. So im assumming the smallest is 34 inches.
I couldnt post the link becasue i dont have 15 posts yet:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks