What's new

What is the purpose of the 16:9 setting on DirectTV (1 Viewer)

Mikey_B

Grip
What is the purpose of the 16:9 screen setting on the DirectTV reciever? The screen still needs stretched just like usual.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If you are watching it on a 16:9 screen it affects the size of the guide and other OSD. Or at least thats what it does on mine.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
If I remember the story correctly, it's possible to transmit a 16:9 image 'anamorphically' and instruct the receiver on how to do an automatic pan & scan extraction for 4:3 TVs.

I don't think this feature has ever been used though.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I think DTV used it once long ago for a PPV presentation of Apocalypse Now redux ...

Regards

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I can see a difference on my Hitachi, definately. the 16x9 setting stretchs out the picture to fit a 16:9 tv better. At least on mine it does.

Craig

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that Mikey_B was referring to a regular DirecTV receiver, not an HD-capble direcTV receiver.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Johnny,

i was talking about a regular receiver. i bought a new 16:9 tv and when first hooked up to the sat receiver, the 'panorama' mode had very bad stretching on the sides watching Directv. I then remembered the 4:3/16:9 setting on the receiver. After changing to the 16:9 mode, the stretching i was experiencing was WAY less pronounced, a night and day difference. the sat receiver was definately doing something to EVERY channel, almost like it just extended the viewing signal horizontally a bit so I couldn't see stretching on the sides as much anymore. Hope that made sense.

Craig

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I have a 16:9 set on its way and I also have DIRECTV using a "regular" HUGHES box. Has anyone benefited from using the 16:9 option from this brand of reciever ?

Bob Segno

Agent
Slightly off the subject. I just had direct tv installed last week.Oval dish and 3 lnb's.My problem is, the picture is great, BUT, the center sound for the voice is very,very low.The suround (music) and ambient signals are very loud.I called Direct TV and they don't know why. Any help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks