What's new

What is the most disturbing movie you have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ok, I just gotta ask. How can Natural Born Killers get to anyone? Its so over the top and comic book like. The violence is actually silly and thats the way its supposed to be. Brilliant film btw.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Amazingly, noone has mentioned The Blair Witch Project. After seeing the film I walked out of the theater to a bright, sunny Florida day in the middle of a huge parking lot with lots of people around and I could not shake that last image out of my head. It haunted me for days.

The Wicker Man. I've watched it probably 8 times or so since first seeing it on DVD last summer. Still chills me. One of my favorite films of all time.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've got one that I can almost guarantee none of you have seen. Heck, until the early 90's it was banned in the US. Not because of nudity or violence, but for a much more sinister reason. The film is TITICUT FOLLIES, a documentary by Frederick Wiseman. Wiseman filmed inside a Mass. state mental hospital. What he captured was horrendous. Abuse of the patients, both verbally and physically, medieval living conditions, and the sheer sadness of the world of the profoundly insane. In one scene, Wiseman intercuts between the callous force-feeding of a patient and the preparation of his corpse, a short time later. The film was so damning of the way in which the mentally ill were treated in this hospital, that the state of MA went so far as to take the case to the Supreme Court of Mass. where it was ruled that the film could not be shown because it was, "an invasion of the inmates' privacy." No lie. The film was finally allowed to be shown in the early 90's, when most of the people depicted in the film were dead. It's an eye-opener. I'm pretty sure it's not available on video, but PBS showed it once when it was finally legal to show it and it still runs from time to time in art houses in major cities. If you ever hear of it being screened, then I urge you to see it. It's a frightening, but eye-opening discourse on "civilized man's" capacity for evil.

Jason Co

Second Unit
First off I would like to share that the only movie that has really pissed me off that I spent any money to see it was Event Horizon. It was gross and otherwise....sucky for lack of a better term. The movie that grossed me out the most was Day of the Dead. SOmething about watching zombies rip some screaming guys head off then fighting over who gets to eat the intestines....makes me wanna hurl.

p.s. I hate zombies

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Well Ill add mine.
Devils Advocate.
Why? Well obviously it wasnt scary but watching ashley judd "go crazy" and the whole scene when she kills herself in the psych ward..... awww man its to real. I get chills just thinking of that part. i own that movie and for some reason i never ever watch it because its so disturbing.... but at the same time I would say its one of my top 10 fav movies!

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I just want to say that I find it super-sweet that people mentioned the PRINCE OF DARKNESS scenes
Finally! Thanks, Vince.. Was beginning to think I was in the vast minority in my assessment of this one.. Most disturbing scenes for me were:

The possessed girl typing "I LIVE I LIVE I LIVE I LIVE" over and over on the computer screen.

The reoccuring dream sequence

The fluid dripping ..up

The zombie who warns them to "pray for death".

The narrow escape of the guy from "Simon and Simon" from the zombies near the end, and at the very end him waking up and meeting eyes with the zombie that used to be his girlfriend, BANG! Just about crapped myself.. Then it turns out it was a dream..

That's just what I can remember.. I'm sure I've repressed alot.. I couldn't walk past a mirror without poking it and running till 1990.. :b

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
An excerpt from my Prince of Darkness review, written in April 2000:

Now, I'm a HUGE Carpenter fan - yet I've never been able to admire PoD, and believe me I've really tried.

But I must agree: the sequences you guys are talking about are extremely creepy. Perhaps if that end of the flick had gotten a little more attention I'd have liked it more.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I can't speak much for the production values, acting, etc.. It's been over 15 years since I saw it, once, as a kid.

But for scare factor, and again maybe it was because I was a kid, it delivered. I'm remembering those scenes now, and as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I do NOT ever want to see that movie again, even to check and see if I was just being a pussy.. Which makes me.. a pussy!!

So be it. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
PRINCE OF DARKNESS is actually one of my top three favorite films of all time, and is Carpenter's best film in my opinion. It is a 5 star masterpiece that is criminally underrated. It is a very intelligent, thought provoking, well acted, and terrifying film, and in my opinion, it is the perfect horror film. I didn't list it here because I didn't find it disturbing, but I definitely do find it terrifying still to this day, and I've watched it well over 100 times.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Tetsou The Iron Man

Just very, very odd.

For scary, Event Horizon. Thats the only movie since I turned 14 that has actually gotten to me, and scared me. If anyone ever says they want to see a scary movie, I put in Event Horizon.
Signs did a bit, just because of the build up to things.

I've seen most of the others mentioned, and those I haven't, I just put in my rental queue. Honestly, I didn't think Requiem was that bad.

Murdock

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've seen movies like the exorcist and requiem for a dream, and while 'disturbing' to some extent they don't come within a country mile of "I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE".

That movie is d-quality, but the rape scenes are so realistic it's hard to believe the woman wasn't actually getting raped. Jaw-dropping stuff.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I Spit On Your Grave is my pick as well. I wish I could purge the memories of it from my brain. I can't understand at all wanting to own a Millenium Edition DVD of this POS.

Gummo would also fall into the disturbing and pointless category.

Good disturbing films?

Manji - Yasuzo Masumura
Even Dwarfs Started Small - Werner Herzog
Freaks - Tod Browning
Go, Go Second Time Virgin - Koji Wakamatsu

and more well known stuff like: In The Realm of the Senses, Requiem for a Dream, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, The Omen, Prince Of Darkness

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Brook - i agree that I Spit on Your Grave is, overall, a bad film. But i must confess that the parts i found most disturbing - the rape scenes - struck me as being very good filmmaking. The sheer 'realism' achieved impressed me. It's later, when the film becomes a slasher flick, that it goes into the toilet.

Another thing positive about ISOYG is that unlike about 99% of the movies i see (including the supposedely 'intellectual' art-house ones), it did make me think about something. Namely, why i found the rape stuff to be more viscerally repugnant than the killing scenes. Objectively, while rape is an awful crime, it isn't as 'bad' as getting killed (that is, the death penalty is too severe a punishment for rape), yet when i watched the film i had no problem at all with the woman's actions in taking revenge via killing. I thought the rapists were getting their just deserts...

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
In the disturbing, (not scary or gross), I have to mention 2, not already mentioned.

Tim Roth's War Zone: There were scenes where I actually curled up in my seat. I felt psychologically battered at the end. I bought it because I respected the film but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again. I may never.

Tim Robbins' Bob Roberts: So scary because it's so possible. Again, bought it, haven't been able to re-watch it.

and I second Prince of Darkness as JC's creepiest film. And I'm NEVER scared by movies, other than The Exorcist, which I first saw when I was 10, think how badly that messed me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks