What's new

What is the greatest invention ever? (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I would have to second clothing. As I remember from my anthro classes (shame on me for being an anthro minor and not remembering exact numbers) it takes roughly 10,000 years for a species to adjust to a 1 degree change in average temperature. Without clothing, our race would still be stuck in the only place where we could thrive without clothes - the plains of Africa.

cheers!

Josh

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'd say before the printing process came paper
That's the problem with this topic. The plough is good but useless without the tools to build them. The printing press is good but worthless without the paper on which one prints. I love my internal combustion powered car but with out the wheel (and the tools to build and maintain it) it is nothing. All inventions are build on those previously invented. Using this logic it is safe to assume that the first invention must be the greatest. I think the greatness of all inventions must be considered in their time. Who said "If I have seen great distances it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." Thats as close as I can remember it today.

My pick for greatest invetion ever is language. What would we do if we couldn't communicate with each other?

jeremy

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Nuclear Weaponry...

no telling how the Cold War would have turned out had it not been for mutually assured destruction

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
All inventions are build on those previously invented. Using this logic it is safe to assume that the first invention must be the greatest.
In that case, the single-celled organism! On second thought, how about the bacterium! No wait...amino acids! No wait...RNA! No...what about...organic molecules!
Oh hell...how about: The Universe! Great invention, almost as great as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Yeah! ;)

Matt_Briol

Agent
I say computers definitally. Im on my computer like 24/7 and I dont know what the heck I would do if I didn't have it (besides watch DVDs).

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
id have to say the tool, as we all know that gave us the leap from apes to mankind.

then id give 2nd to electricity. although, is that an invention, or taming similar to fire?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When I'm contemplating what era I would have preferred to live in, an important consideration is; "did they have anesthesia?"
So, maybe not the greatest invention, but during surgury you'd be hard pressed to name one more important to you.
My chosen time period, 1890-1947, is safe from painful operations of the, "put this stick between your teeth" variety.
Jim

paul_v

Second Unit
The top 5 most important inventions according to paul_v

1. Irrigation/Farming - explained in earlier posts
2. Sanitation - This probably doubled the human lifespan
3. Refridgeration - No more spoiled food
4. The telephone
5. The Computer

Of course these inventions relied on other inventions but you get the idea =)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks