what is the difference between DTS and 5.1?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Derek B, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Derek B

Derek B Stunt Coordinator

I do not notice any difference in sound when using DTS or 5.1 modes. Can you please explain the difference.
    Thanks,
    Derek

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I'm assuming you mean the difference between DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1. Both DTS and Dolby are 5.1 surround formats, but they are different decoding/encoding technologies. Dolby offers higher data compression of the audio on all 6 channels (5+1) than DTS does for the most part. Although there are many DTS encoded discs coming out now that have been encoded at a lower rate, the 'regular' DTS tracks found on SE's and Superbit type titles are often thought to be fuller/richer sounding and add more detail. Whether you hear the difference or not depends on your ears and equipment; because of this the 'Which is better DTS or DD' debate is an endless one.

Note: This is meant to be a very basic post.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

There's a load of stuff in the FAQ about this. Also, this could have been combined with your other post.

But really, check out the FAQ, it will answer many of your more basic questions (and some advanced ones) such as this.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I never thought it was really all the conflictive - not like speaker cables...

DD5.1 = higher compression which generally = less quality
    DTS = takes up more space to increase sound quality.

It's the same principle as the superbit DVDs - the superbits get rid of all the extra junk on the dvds to increase the picture resolution.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Derek, make sure the DTS-decoding is enabled in whatever you amplify your system with (check your DVD player set-up menu as well as your receiver's or pre/pro's). This thread will remain active; others will be closed.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Let's not get into DD vs DTS. Let's discuss something totally noncontroversial. How about abortion?

9. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Sometimes I can tell the diff sometimes not but it is certainly to our advantage to have both,, cough ..Mac cough..PC[​IMG]

10. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Alright - let me add a qualifier to my previous statement.

In theory, b/c of less compression it should be better. BUT I do agree w/ Bryan X in that there are some really great encoded DD5.1s and there are also some really crappy DTS encodes out. But once again, they both are capable of producing great sound.

11. Michael Reuben

12. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

As far as which is better, there must be something to the DTS is better argument because almost every review you read, the DTS track is preferred.[​IMG]

13. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

14. Michael Reuben

15. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

16. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

In a blind test I doubt I could tell the diff with any amount of accuracy but one disc that did seem to have quite noticeable difference between the DD and DTS was the 3 disc set of Brotherhood of the Wolf. The outdoor scenes in particular seemed much more realistic or open than the DD version. like you were actually outside. FOTR EE has a more of a scene by scene difference.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Michael, when I compare the 2 I ALWAYS equalize [​IMG]

18. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I have found that most of the time DTS does sound louder but then I also relized that its only action sequences and effects that appear to be louder. I can't find the article that I read but it stated that DD had a Dynamic range of 100 db and DTS had a dynamic range of 108 db and I beleive it. I have never been dissapointed with any DTS soundtrack. so far.

19. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

when i first got into audio, i was able to notice a big difference in sound between dts and dd 5.1 playing on a "htib" system.

its not difficult at all to discern the two tracks, i remember testing it out on atlantis and played both tracks right after each other, and the clarity in the dts was a lot more noticeable. i noticed that the lfe channel was pumped up a few decibels louder then the dd track, but i dont know how true the argument "louder is perceived as better" is.

since then i have gotten a decent entry system, all calibrated properly, with far better speakers then i had previous, and i must say, that dts has a definate clarity increase in sound over dolby digital tracks on thes ame movie.

ive often raise the volume on the dd track to meet the deible levels of the dts track and dts tracks still make the dd track sound fuzzy and muffled.

though i am not takin ginto consideration dd ex tracks, i am only comparing dts and dd.

20. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator