What's new

What Is The Deal with These "Lossless" New HD Audio Formats? I'm Not Impressed... (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nick,

It could very well be that a firmware update will enable the output of the decoded signal over the HDMI interface in the near future. There are several rumours about that, and, what's more: it might be the only way to get DTS-HD MA decoded through those machines.

If this happens, I guess it will not take very long before we see the new firmware upgrades, now receivers with the proper decoders are hitting the market.

Better see your purchase as an investment in the future. Most people on this forum who are looking into a replacement of their receivers, specifically look at the newest ones with the new audio decoders. They all want to be able to decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA inside their receivers.

That said: there are also disadvantages to this choice. Mainly, because in the future it may be necessary to mix audio channels from different sources on the HD (e.g. PIP) and this can only be done inside the player.

It's a complicated matter and no-one really knows what will be the choice for the future, in newer machines. Some say that decoding should always take place inside the player (video as well as audio). The last word certainly has not been spoken in this matter.

Cees

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And if you had that, do you think you'd like the sound any better? Because it still wouldn't match your expectations, which were wrong to begin with.

M.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

False. Setting output to "bitstream" merely *allows* bitstream signals to pass out natively. Your actual PCM soundracks remain as PCM... or *should* (they do in every other player).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
David, it would help if you would read the entire thread before piling on. You are responding to one of many comments that were rendered irrelevant once it was pointed out that, for the player in question, all of the bitstream/PCM settings apply only to the SPDIF outputs and not to the HDMI.

M.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sorry! I'm still confused :)

How then does one opt for the player to decode or for the outboard device to handle advanced audio decoding? Or is this player not HDMI 1.3 (and therefore converts all advanced bitstreams to PCM for tranmission over HDMI 1.1/2)?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've read it twice now and I'm still confused on these very points. This player seems to behave differently than most other hardware (why I wanted to make sure of what HDMI version it had). Not trying to be difficult... just trying to make sense of how this is supposed to work.

Ok... so it's not HDMI 1.3? But it will automatically decode TrueHD to PCM with an internal decoder for PCM over HDMI but not DTS-HD MA (core only... HDMI or SPDIF). Is that the verdict?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Well, if you've read the thread twice, then you know that the OP is already confused enough. However:

That appears to be the case. But this is not the thread in which to definitively resolve this. Please search for any other Panasonic BR player thread.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks