What's new

What is the best way to break a receiver? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John Doroshenk
Ok, call me evil and call me scared, but I want to upgrade my receiver, I currently have a JVC 1028 and it works fine for me. But I would love to upgrade to an outlaw or a denon 3802, the JVC has too high of a THD for my liking, but I bought it on amazon for 50 bucks mispriced and as a starting digital receiver I couldn't be happier. Now I have roommates and a girl friend and they give me enough crap about spending money on things they don't understand, ie a pronto remote. Now I would love to get the new receiver for a reason so I wouldn't have to deal with them ribbing me. Is there a way to treat your receiver that would slowly deteriate over time, about 2 months will be fine for complete melt down. I want to do this with out hurting my speakers or any companents. I've thought about changing the speaker settings down a notch ever day or so for the course of two months so at the end it would be hard to hear without cranking it. This is my best plot so far. Anyone have some suggestions?

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
im sure pouring a glass full of water in it might do the trick..and it will dry up and leave no evidence..?
not that ive done that before..im just guessing.. ;}
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
"what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
As long as your part of the rent is paid on time and all of your other bills are taken care of, why do you care what your roommates think? Spend your money as you like, it's one of the perks of being a grown up and having your own job.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same camp as Chad on this one, but try this one anyways...
Plug 2 speakers in to the same outputs in parallel. It'll do a number on your amp in no time at all.
Sam

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
OPen it up and pull the connector that supplies power to the mainboard, or if you can't find that, just pull all the connectors that you can see. That way, you could buy the new receiver and fix the old one a few weeks downthe road, and still get money for it when you sell it.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 31, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

BryanZ

Screenwriter
1. SVS CS.
2. Bridge receiver L & R.
3. Connect said SVS and crank receiver as loud as it can go.
4. Play bass heavy cds, cassettes, dvds, etc. while girlfriends away.
5. If that doesn't do the trick, worst case scenerio is you have a new sub.
biggrin.gif

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Sell the thing so you can get a head start on your new one. There is no logic at all in breaking something that is perfectly usefull. Ebay would be a good choice and you may even get more than $50 for it there!

Alex F.

Second Unit
Take some rope, tie it around the receiver using a slip knot, hang the receiver up from your ceiling as high as possible, stand directly beneath the receiver, then release the knot. That should solve everybody's problems.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Why not just sell it. Tell them it was messing up, so you sold it to someone.
Or you cold do what SamRoza said and hook up 4-8 speakers with a nominal impedence of 4 ohms. With 4 speakers it will think it is driving a 2 ohm load. I can guarantee you that
receiver was not designed to do that.
It will probably blow an output ic in the process. lets hope is not just a fuse and lets hope it doesn't have any protection circuitry that autoamtically shuts it down.

KyleS

Screenwriter
This is just crazy stand up for them, sell the receiver, and that way you will have more money towards the new receiver even if its just $50 bucks or so. Thats at least $50 dollars more then what you had and then you could just tell them that it was fried by a lightning storm now that we are heading into winter.
KyleS

Paul W

Second Unit
Break your roommates and then get new ones.
laugh.gif

------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

RyanM

Agent
Chalk this up as another vote for ignoring your roommates and selling the receiver to help fund the new one. If I recall correctly, the Amazon price error was for the JVC 1028VBK, so you'll definately be able to get more than $50 for it
wink.gif

Ryan

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I know it's fun to break stuff!!
But don't, sell it to someone that can put it to good use, like someone just getting started in HT!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
how about sell it...but say it was stolen?or for extra points with the mrs. say you gave along with a small set of speakers to a homeless man so he could enjoy life just a little more.
------------------
Chad's DVDs

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, sell the JVC receiver on eBay to get money towards a better receiver. If you are so self-conscious about what your friends think, just tell them that you only had to lay out a very small amount of cash for the new receiver on top of the cash you got for the old one.
EDIT: Alternatives here would be to find new friends or put your foot down and decide that you don't give a damn what they think.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 01, 2001 at 08:07 AM]

Real Name
John Doroshenk
So does anyone want to buy a JVC 1028 I can get you a great deal? Thanks for all your input everyone. I should just suck it up once again and listen to all the guff. And what would be a better purchase, the Denon 3802 or the Outlaw 1050, I can get the denon for about $770 or so. Any thoughts on that.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Why does this thread even exist?
rolleyes.gif

I'm moving it to After Hours.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks