What is THE BEST Antivirus program? Why?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JoeCool6972, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972 Stunt Coordinator

What is THE BEST Antivirus program? Why? My McAfee provided by AT&T (DSL internet browser) is pissing me off. It has stopped working. Every time I do a virus scan the computer shuts down half way through. And the built in spam and pop up blockers have always sucked! Besides, I am about to switch internet providers to Sprint. I already use them for wireless. I had PC Cillin before, it worked too good, blocked EVERYTHING. Couldn't look at a lot of websites, use paypal, etc... so F that! I tried the free AVG before, it is garbage. It let a lot of viruses through. My last computer was infected so bad using it, I decided to just get a new one. So any recommendations? Heard any good reviews?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972 Stunt Coordinator

WOW! Yes they could. One last post was 05, the other was 06!

4. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
    I would go with MS Security Essentials. It has very low overhead works very well and so far has been bulletproof. Not that I have ever been infected with any viruses but since I'm a IT guy I would be embarrassed if I did get caught. :)

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    If your PC is regularly getting so many viruses that you have to buy a new one— it's so bad that AVG is ineffective — you're doing something wrong. A little prudence goes a long ways. I've been using AVG for years with no problems. As you look for a better AV program, you should also evaluate what you're doing to acquire so much malware and fix that too.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

But most of the products still exist, and the feedback is still relevant.

I don't know whether Trend Micro uses the "PC Cillin" name anymore, but their products are still great. If your previous version blocked too much, you needed to adjust the settings for your particular requirements. I'm currently using the Titanium version of their Internet Security and have no complaints.

7. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Microsoft Security Essentials.

8. theedmon10

theedmon10 Auditioning

ZenOK Free Antivirus is my choice! hehehe after trying almost every one Ill stay with this new one, I find it really interesting.. lets see

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

What makes it interesting? Personally I want my antivirus to be as uninteresting as possible, just stay in the background and do its job. That is why I agree with Matt and use Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free too.

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I use and recommend Avast all the time. First off, it's free (that is, the version I use is free). Secondly, it blocks downloads of malicious files while you're surfing the net. Third, it has a small resource footprint. Additionally, on 32 bit operating systems, it can perform an offline scan (great for removing those stubborn dll's that can't be deleted in safe mode). And you can set up an admin password for it so that it cannot be disabled by a virus.

11. theedmon10

theedmon10 Auditioning

And thats exactly how ZenOK works and I just spoke my mind, what I find interesting is the fact it comes with other features as online backup, and an advanced risk management system

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I like Vipre Antivirus Premium, which is currently having a two years for $40 total New Year's Sale.

Tip: buy it around now so then in two years, chances are there will be another New Year's Sale when it is time to renew.

Vipre Antivirus Premium is both a firewall and antivirus. You can tell it what to ignore, etc. Unlike Nortons' it never hogs the processor.

Many people get by just fine with the freebie from Avast, but it shouts out "Avast Antivirus protection has been updated!" ever day when it downloads new definitions, as if anyone gives a shinola! It is SO annoying that I simply couldn't use it for my home computer.

13. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    You can very easily go into Settings and turn off the sound alerts in Avast.

14. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I would read this thread before going with ZenOK:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=280565

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it works great. If I was going to buy a product, it would probably be either Kaspersky or NOD32.

Keep in mind an AV program is only one part of keeping your PC safe from malware. Check out this site for good advice for locking down your system:

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html

-Keith

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    My favorite AV software is OSX.

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On the free version?

17. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yes, the free version allows you to turn off the sound alerts.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Hey, you're right. I was misled by the naming of it as "Silent/Gaming Mode". I wasn't playing games on my office computer so I didn't think this mode would apply to me, but apparently it works for non-Gamers as well.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I just realized I'm keenly interested in this topic, having just installed Windows 7 on my wife's iMac

Need to re-read this thread, before I get too far into my Win7 installations.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer